Motel 6 Newport
Newport Bay Club & Hotel(Newport)(Great Value!)
US$372
US$436
Travelocity
US$606
Orbitz.com
The Chanler at Cliff Walk(Newport)
US$622
Agoda.com
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina(Newport)(Great Value!)
US$408
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Terrible! This motel ruined a special weekend. We requested non-smoking. The email reservation said smoking, so we called to make sure it was non and were assured it was, Upon arrival at 5 p.m. there was an ashtray in room. We went down to front desk and were told all rooms had ashtrays and it was non-smoking. We went out and returned at 10:30 p.m. to an indoor hall reeking of smoke. We called and the front desk said it was a smoking room. I have asthma. We checked out at 11 p.m. as there were no rooms available, could not get another hotel, and had to drive home. We were out driving at 12:30 a.m., our night ruined and trip cut short by a day. They may have been incompetent, but we feel we were lied to about the room being nonsmoking so they could book the room. Never had anything like this happen before - UNACCEPTABLE!

Room Tip: Very rundown. Room was across from an Adults Only video store. Decor was awful. Get another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ATraveler201
Reviewed 30 April 2013

The place is run down and the closer you look for red flags the scarier it gets, but it was worth the $49 room fee in our opinion. I would not recommend this place for germaphobes nor those whom are easily scared by the friendly but trashy looking clientele. But my girlfriend and I stayed in the off season and only used the place to sleep and shower so it was worth it to us. Especially since this place costed as little as a round of drinks downtown. PS: We bought our own sheets and pillow cases and recommend u do the same.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Davidmartinell
Reviewed 2 April 2013

After much searching for a reasonably priced place to stay for a weekend in Newport, I decided on Motel 6. I had stayed there several years ago and it was fine. However, this time, most of he reviews that I read were not very good. I figured that I only needed it for a place to shower and sleep. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. My room was clean and roomy The staff were all very friendly and helpful. I think that people sometimes forget, that if you're paying $39.00 a night, you're not getting a 4 star hotel. I had a wonderful weekend and a more than adequate place to stay for less than $100.00 for 2 nights (and they even let me check in early). I would definitely stay there again.
Please ignore the "terrible" rating below for the swimming pool. There was no pool and this web site will not let me change what is there.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank debbiej88deborah
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I stayed at this Motel 6 for the first time in about 8 years on a recent Monday. It seemed like there was hardly anyone there, when I pulled into the lot at 11 PM, there were only 2-3 cars in the lot. Upon opening the door to room 101, you can smell that musty Motel 6 smell that most travelers will recognize who frequent the chain. It goes away after several minutes though. Compared to the nearby Seekonk property, the TV selection was quite poor and very small. The lady at the front desk seemed kind of disinterested, and spoke my room number out loud. Having worked in the industry, I know that is a big mistake for security issues.

The neighborhood is not in the tourist area by any means, and there is a adult video store across the street, but I did not feel uncomfortable here. It is an easy walk to a Stop and Shop and Walmart. There are plenty of dinning choices in the plazza, including a 99 Restaurant and 5 Guys(Yum!) If you enjoy gambling, its only a few minutes away from Newport Grand.

The offseason rates(39.99 on this night) was a good deal, but I don't think a room here is worth much more than that. If you are on a bare bones budget, or just want a place to crash for the night, you'll be okay here. I've actually slept on worse beds than the ones here. If you want your hotel to be a memorable part of your trip to Newport, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms near the exit door. You will hear people coming and going all night if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank steveskin1
Reviewed 29 October 2012

It is NOT worth the savings.

I showed up on Friday, 26 October, 2012, for a 2-night reservation that I had made 3 weeks prior, and had called about at least 3 times. I had called because I was concerned about the extremely negative reviews. The first time I called, I spoke with Michelle, whose demeanor and professionalism reassured me that I'd be alright with Motel 6, that she herself would ensure that my stay would be pleasant, that the room and sheets would be clean. How wrong I was. I called about 2 weeks after the first call, a few days before I was scheduled to make the 5 hour drive to Newport, just to check and make sure everything was OK, and discovered that Michelle had left to work elsewhere. I spoke with her colleague, who was reasonably amiable, but not nearly as nice or amiable as Michelle. She seemed to be annoyed by my wish to be reassured. That gave me pause. I also discovered on that call that the reservation details that I had discussed with Michelle had not been noted as we had discussed, so essentially, the reservation that I had made, had not really been made, and the original room type that I had reserved was no longer available.

So, I had to make a new reservation with the new person I was speaking with.

One aspect of the reservation was that I was supposed to have a mini refrigerator in the room. Since that was one of the features that was no longer available because it had not been noted when I made the original reservation, I pressed the issue, and finally after some time, the person I was speaking with acquiesced, got the 'Manager', who allegedly 'fixed' the reservation issues, and stated that he would put a spare refrigerator in the room. Though I was a bit apprehensive about what sort of extra mini frig they might have just lying around, I agreed, hoping for the best.

I had originally planned to be there at 6pm on Friday. The traffic was so bad, that I ended up calling to let the front desk know that I would be late. The front desk person was vague and not reassuring that all was well. I had to ask him to clarify. I finally arrive at the Motel six at about 8pm. The lobby/check-in area really stinks, and is dingy and truly frightening looking. It is so unkempt and uninviting that I cannot help but feel that I have walked onto the set of some horror flick. I ask the front desk person about it, expressing that I am apprehensive about what the room is like if the lobby looks this way. He is totally unresponsive and indifferent to my concerns.

I give the reservation number, and am told that the reservation that I had made at the price I had originally agreed is now a different higher price, with NONE of the details about it that I had arranged for. SO - - again I see that the reservation had never been 'fixed'. There was a reservation number, but truly how could it matter if nothing about the reservation was saved.

The front desk person was completely unresponsive - - it was pretty obvious that he couldn't give a rat's rear about doing anything productive, nor could he see any reason why I should be upset at having arrived after a grueling 5-hour trek only to discover that all of my attempts at planning in advance has been entirely fruitless. He treats me as if I am the problem, and calls the 'Manager' to 'resolve' the situation.

The 'Manager' appears in filthy shorts, looking filthy and unkempt himself. He has no interest in addressing and correcting their errors and nonexistent service, gives me a massively arrogant attitude, showing no recollection of who I am, and the prior 'arrangements' that had been made for my reservation. He proceeds to stand there asking me questions as if I am some sort of crazy person who has just arrived making mad accusations. I am completely disgusted by this point and say so. The 'Manager' proceeds to order to me to leave the premises, telling me that he will not honor the reservation.

I left, got online, and made a reservation with Hotels dot com at the nearby Best Western.

Motel 6 Newport would better as a parking lot, and that 'Manager' needs a bath and attitude adjustment.

Do NOT, EVER, under ANY circumstances, stay at the Motel 6 in Newport.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo