“Noisy dogs and customers”
Review of Motel 6 Newport

Motel 6 Newport
Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Milan, Italy
“Noisy dogs and customers”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

There was a dog barking loud in a room next to ours. Someone left the dog in the room and spent the night out, crazy. Very noisy motel. I was able to hear all the guests coming in at all different time of the night. I do not recommend! Please avoid this motel.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank ESSE L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New York City
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I have one word to describe this motel: Yuck! The motel reeks of cigarette smoke and does not offer basic amenities in the room like a hair dryer or shampoo and conditioner. You have to buy the shampoo and conditioner in a vending machine.

We booked a non-smoking room and were told upon check-in that the motel only had a smoking room left. We were upset, but had no other place to stay as most hotels were fully booked. We checked out the room, but it smelled disgusting and was filthy. It was nauseating. We went back to the front desk to ask for a refund and considered driving all the way back to Boston because we could not possible stay in the smoking room, especially given that my friend has asthma. All of a sudden, the woman at the front desk revealed that they had a nonsmoking room available. Interesting....When we got to the room, it was incredibly basic and I noticed that they beds were covered with bedbug protectors. All I can say is I slept with one eye open and couldn't wait to leave the next morning. Stay away at all costs if you can!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank LL002

Travellers are raving about these Newport hotels

Collegeville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My daughter and her husband had reservations at this hotel for her sisters wedding. 2nd floor was filthy at 4:24PM with laundry carts all down the hall and bags off trash from rooms everywhere. Laundry room door was open and totally filthy. We proceeded to room and even after a guarentee 3pm check in the room had not been touched. The room was changed and I spoke to the manager via the house phone where I asked for a full refund on the 2 night stay. He agreed and I asked him to contact his hotel clerk. The money was refunded and no sooner did I return to my daughters room and the phone was ringing. It was the manager stating that I needed to come up to the desk and pay for 1 night. He stated that he was going to re charge the card at that time and I told him he was not being authorized to do so. I went to the front counter and asked if I could leave my licencse and would be back before 11pm as due to the situation we were all ready going to be late for my other daughters wedding rehearsal at the church. I was told that if I did not pay for the one night we would not be able to stay and that there would be trouble. I asked the clerk to charge my personal credit card. I confirmed that they would be ok for the two night stay with that payment and after my card was charge she told me that I would have to come back tomorrow (daughters wedding day and speak to manager). When we arrived back at the hotel at approximently 10:45pm. a gentlemen was standing at the end of the hallway with his hands crossed. My daughter and her husband both tried their cards and neither worked. At this time the gentelman had disappeared at the end of the hallway. I went to he office and asked him if he was the manager he told me he was. I explained to him that my family could not get into there room and he acknowledge the fact stating that the second night needed to be paid for. I told him that I paid up until 11am next morning and that they needed to get into room. My daughter then called the police (as he stood laughing). Prior to this he threw my daughters id against the back wall. Once he heard the dispatcher on the line, he quickly activated a card and slapped it on the counter. He told the police that he did deactive the cards. Due to the fact that my daughter is 14 weeks pregnant we deicided to locate somewhere else. He refused to refund that money they had no choice but to stay as all locations were filled. I asked the police if I could stay with my daughter until she calmed down and then return to my own hotel but manager told the police I would have to pay as an extra overnight quest in the room. Then wanted police to place a tresspassing sitation to me if I didnt leave. This manager is the worst I have ever seen. Not only does he not care about people but he doesnot care about the hotels name and or its reputation. I myself am a manager of a major gas supplier and this behavior especially towards a pregnant women is a disgrace. I have spoken to Motel 6 and the manager of the Newport RI location by phone. Neither has offered me satisfaction. Motel 6 wants to hear about your stay but claims they can do nothing. Iam now trying to get intouch with the CEO of the company Jim Amorosia. Stay tuned, I will keep you posted. Will post pictures at a later date

Room Tip: Stay where you feel you are at home and this is DEFINATELY NOT the place
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Suslonbuc
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I arrived and was charged nearly $60 more than I was quoted on the phone. Yes, I had changed my reservation prior from 4 nights to 2(glad I did) and was told at checkin that the systems known delay in updating changed rates/corresponding reservations was to blame. While this may be true, representatives should say they are unable to give a factual rate upon updating(since they apparently don't have one). I paid the difference to dispute later since I was in from out of town due at a wedding rehearsal(located a half hour away) in a little over ninety minutes time. When I arrived on the second floor, the first thing that I saw to my left was a filthy closet with miscellany strewn on the floor. I proceeded down the hall, which was littered with trash bags and cleaning carts, to room 233, which was my assignment. We moved the black trash bag(containing garbage) from in front of our door and stepped into an unprepared, unclean room. The linens were stripped onto the floor and the bathroom was disgusting, complete with the previous occupants toiletry trash and used sink/bar soap. This was at approximately 4:30 pm, despite the 3pm check in time. I am 4 1/2 months pregnant and was accompanied by my husband and mother, who was there to help me get ready prior to the reception(given the shortage of time we had); she had reservations at the nearby Travelodge. I was extremely distressed, as hurrying through the long journey was clearly in vain; we would be late because there was no way I'd have time to be ready with the room unfinished and unfit for use. My mother urged me to document the state of the room and went to summon the desk clerk. She came up and, along with the chambermaids who didn't appear to care, apologized profusely and offered us a different room. At this point, I was frustrated, exhausted and furious; I had acquiesced to paying a decent sum above what I expected in the interest of simply getting to our room and found myself unable to even do that without difficulty. The female clerk placed us in room 118 and, after a cursory inspection, we found it tenable; my husband and I proceeded to change while my mother went to the office to lodge a form complaint on my behalf(in an attempt to reduce the stress on my baby and I). She eventually returned with papers for me to sign, showing the complaint in writing and a refund of what we had paid. It was our understanding that, since we had such an awful experience already on more than one count, the rooms were let to us for two nights, July 31 and August 1, free of charge. No sooner had my mother returned the papers to the clerk and come back to our room to get ready herself, the courtesy phone rang in the room; I heard my mother's portion of the conversation, which included telling the party on the phone that, not meaning to be rude, she was in a hurry, did not authorize any charges to the card on file and that she would return to settle the dispute, whatever it was, because she had been under the impression that the matter had been resolved. We hurried down to the office prior to leaving for the reception, at which time we were informed that we now had to pay for one night(that night, July 31st) for a rate of approximately $85, because we couldn't have both nights free; tonight had to be paid for. After some dispute, particularly given the disgusting state of the motel and prior commitment of the manager, we were bullied into paying the amount for that night so that we could leave for the event and could avoid the "problems" that would arise should we refuse. (We wanted somewhere to sleep, obviously, and were concerned about the safety of items in our room which included, but was not limited to, an iPhone, iPad mini, two formal dresses/pairs of shoes, my husband's suit/two designer ties, assorted department store toiletries and Vera Bradley items.) We paid for that night, Thursday , July 31, and left unhappy for the rehearsal after being told that, after supposedly being given both nights free of charge, then only having to pay one(which would have sufficed), my mother(who paid for the night with her credit card) would have to speak to the manager about the second night, and he would not be in until the next day. She informed the desk clerk regardless she'd return prior to the end of the clerk's 11pm shift in an effort to settle any dispute. We left and arrived 20 minutes late to the rehearsal for my sister's wedding, which entirely disrupted the proceedings as I was a member of the bridal party and essential to the practice(they couldn't even start without me). When we returned to the motel shortly before 11pm, we entered the back doorway near our parking spot to see a man loitering at the opposite end near the office, watching us menacingly as we went to enter our room. He watched long enough to see that neither of our pass keys worked without saying a word in the direction of the office(this man, Ajit Airen apparently, later told the police that he deactivated our cards and waited for us in that way as a manner of customer service, because he had been told my mother wanted to speak with him. What this translated to was stalking customers, who had already paid for that night, locking up their valuables in their room without cause in order to harass and intimidate. If he was doing it from a customer service perspective, and was so keen to serve us as to wait, especially since he was said to be unscheduled until the next day, why did he not approach us with a smile when he saw us, extend his hand and apologize for any miscommunication rather than waiting like a thug in a hallway at nearly 11 at night, to speak to a woman, no less?). We asked him angrily why he intentionally, without cause, locked us out of a room which had been paid for until next morning's checkout-- surely if our complaints to corporate so offended him he could still wait to confront us until the next day, when he was scheduled, and when our night terminated at 11am checkout. Instead it became clear that he intended to intimidate us into paying for the second night before we had barely been in the room on our first, despite the initial agreements he had made. We were justifiably upset and I told him that, if he insisted upon holding our belongings, I would call the police in order to reclaim them. He told us to do so, at some point asking for my ID and subsequently throwing it against the wall. When my husband demanded his pregnant wife's identification back, Ajit Airen began to laugh and was defiant and rude. We waited for the police, during which time I informed an older couple checking in to beware; after they had left the office, the manager stood and stared at me in an obvious attempt to intimidate me. I told him, in no uncertain terms, that he was not successful, at which point my husband stood between us as I sat in a chair in extreme physical discomfort related to my pregnancy. The police arrived and spent quite some time there, in which time both parties shared their side of the story; the manager could be overheard prior to the arrival of police doing something like coaching the desk clerk and, despite the fact that he told the police that he wanted our business, he said to her within my earshot that, if he wanted to, he could force us to leave that night. We asked to be refunded the price of the night we paid so that we could stay elsewhere given his threatening demeanor(he was heard being loud with responding officers as we stood out front) and he refused to issue us a refund, apparently now saying the most he could do was offer us half off the next night's stay. Exhausted and hard pressed to argue any longer, my husband and I agreed to stay Thursday night, July 31, under the condition that we would be allowed to do so without being harassed. There was a long discussion between the police and manager about this(longer than would have been required by a simple, rational guarantee) but the police eventually brought us back in, saying he had agreed. We at some point received an activated room key(we had received five by the time the dispute has ended; we originally asked for two at checkin, he then issued us two more and deactivated them, and finally issued us our last one). My mother went to walk back to the room with us so that I could be calmed before she left for Travelodge; she was originally going to settle me in and call her traveling partner for a ride to her hotel which was about ten minutes away. She was not allowed back with me; she was told no visitors unless she wanted to pay to be an extra adult in the room(a price stated to be a measly $3 on the back of the motel room's bathroom door, far from a catastrophic loss) despite all the previous hassle and the fact that she had paid for the room since the original amount(approximately $228) was awaiting being refunded to our credit card. Naturally, my worried mother was upset and walked out the front door; we returned to get her belongings and accompanied her to wait out front during our ride, where we found the hotel manager by his car with another man. Airen told my mother at that point that she could return to the room, despite only moments before asking the police how he could get two(? there were three of us.) trespassing orders(and being told that he couldn't, we were paying guests, not to mention there was no real reason). My husband sat up until daylight to ensure my safety after the actions and demeanor of this man(even though we had to wake up at 6:15am, as my sisters wedding preparation began early and the reception was billed until 11 that evening). Still, it sounded as if someone attempted to open our door for 5-10 seconds prior to 6am(I saw no one), and when we returned around 10:45 am following hair appointments with my mother to check the state of the room she had paid for prior to check out(to make sure nothing nefarious had occurred), a woman let herself into our room--without knocking--only to be prevented by the deadbolt, through which she apologized and said she had come because someone had told her the room was dirty. This as I sat on the toilet with the bathroom door open, hoping for a few moments peace, next the shower I was too upset and exhausted to use during our stay. The three of us took the keys to the desk, checked out with the help of another notably unfriendly clerk and underneath the glare of Ajit Airen. What could you do to improve our overall guest experience? A whole lot. Customers want the rates they are promised, safe hallways to walk in without tripping hazards, clean rooms at check in, guarantees that we can be confident in and, at a minimum, management that doesn't wait for women in the hallways at night after locking up their belongings without justification during a paid stay. (My husband was with us, but the manager would not have known that unless the desk clerk told him so for whatever reason.) He attempted to intimidate us, threw my identification card, and was a living nightmare despite his wrongdoing as a Motel 6 employee; nonetheless, we paid approximately $85 for a night in a hotel that proved more slum than suite. We hope to attain the police report soon and forward it to Motel 6. I have pictures, as we made the corporate representative aware on the telephone while lodging a formal complaint. They didn't much care to see them, so you can find them shortly (and this review) online at TripAdvisor! ( This was my review sent in response to a Motel 6 email survey asking for my feedback after this experience totally ruined our experience in Newport for my sister's wedding!! Please see accompanying pictures labeled 7/31.)

• Stayed July 2014
6 Thank AvoidNewportRIMotel6
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I booked a different to stay during the 2014 Newport Folk Festival, and when a cheaper room became available online at the Motel 6, I grabbed it and paid with a credit card. I called the hotel to be sure that everything was squared away and they confirmed that a room was in my name and it was booked for two nights, so I canceled my other original hotel. I called the Motel 6 the morning I was to check in to be safe and again they confirmed my room and 2 day length of stay and I told them I'd check in after 7PM.

I went to the folk festival and at 7:30PM called the hotel to ask if I would have any problems with checking in late. We were in Newport and had tickets for another concert and figured we'd stay. I spoke to Louis at the front desk and asked if we would get a better room if we drove straight there (since some it seemed that some rooms were better than others according to reviews) and was told that my room was already selected and they were sold out so it couldn't be changed anyway and Louis confirmed my Sunday check out. They also told me I wouldn;'t have any issues since the first night was charged to my credit card. We decided to not check in until afterward. When we arrived, they pulled up my reservation and told me I'd need to speak with the manager in the morning. I asked why, and they told me they no longer had a room for my second night! I asked how this was possible, and the guy working the late shift told me that he had to tell tons of people this that evening, some of whom booked a year ago. So now I'm in Newport during the folk fest without a hotel room, despite the fact that 12 hours earlier I had one. The cheapest last minute rate I can find is over $300 elsewhere. Thanks for ruining my weekend Motel 6!

Room Tip: Do NOT book this hotel during a busy time of year. Certainly not for Newport Folk Festival or Jazz...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank RichG02481
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I spent 2 days here last year and didn't think it was bad for the price. I booked here again for a week. This visit was better than the first. Upon arrival the gentleman was very pleasant. He even adjusted the price that the booking.com had quoted. 100.00 cheaper than the reservation stated. The motel did drastic changes to the rooms for the better. Instead of the ugly carpet, the floors are now the refurbished wood. The beds were different even with queen size fluffy pillows. Over abundance of towels! The housekeeping staff was courteous and very attentive. The younger girl that was on staff was also nice even to help me with the soda machine which was giving me problems. My fault not the machine's though. The only thing wrong was one lady that was on staff, she never smiled and did not want to be there just by her body language and attitude. I will book again here if I was to visit the area again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Patricia G
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

In a town where my meal was $100 it was nice to stay in a room for only $75. Of course I dreamed if staying on the waterfront but reality kicked in.
The Motel 6 is still in Newport near the Middletown line but close enough to get back quickly. It probably takes less time than going to Castle Hill.
I can't say this place was the top of the line but it's not scary. The room was clean and the bed was nice. It appeared to have been recently painted and lack any decorations on the walls. I had to plug in the AC myself but the manager was quickly available to plug in the light when we told him it didn't work.
We checked in right at 3pm and there were still trash bags in the hall and in the morning we noticed loose trash in the parking lot. Overall the place was well kept. There seemed to be a lot of people staying here when we returned at night but it wasn't loud at all. Not that we watched much TV but a few channels had slight static.

This isn't a five star experience (like Castle Hill) but it is a clean and affordable place to stay when you want a low budget getaway.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Ussubforce
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Travelodge Middletown Newport Area
Newport Ambassador Inn & Suites
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Gilded
Gilded
#10 of 21 in Newport
The Carriage House Inn, an Ascend Collection hotel

Been to Motel 6 Newport? Share your experiences!