“Well worth it!!!”

Ranked #7 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Well worth it!!!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Gorgeous. Spotless. Elegant. Historical. Comfortable. Relaxing. A great price. A great location.

Mary: The other reviews referred to a young lady in her 20's. This is Mary, she is the one employee of the owners Fran and Bryan. Yes, she is young. She is also kind, sincere, incredibly helpful, welcoming, and friendly. She puts on the breakfasts, cleans the rooms, responds to guests needs, and makes sure you have mints in your room and cookies and drinks to greet you at the door.

I met Fran twice. Honest, sincere, down to earth, accommodating. She and her husband do own a bakery and the fresh bagels and muffins are amazing. The various fruits were also fresh and of high quality (unlike other local B&B's I stayed at.)

Bryan: Knows the history of his house in his sleep, it's his families history. He and his wife are knowledgeable about Newport, but they are busy and you can not expect them to give a lot of time and advice. They have many guests, and family and friends of their own - especially on holidays.

For me the room was perfect, the house was perfect, the two women were perfect. Bryan gave a great price, a great opportunity to experience his place, but was also a bit rude to me and other guests on a couple of occasions. Understandably, tourists are often "loved and hated" by the locals who rely on them. It was a busy Mother's Day weekend and he was likely quite tired. I got in trouble for taking two muffins at breakfast. (I didn't eat the main course just muffins and fruit.) I don't regret it! I LOVE the pistachio muffins; I'd never had that flavor before. I was also pregnant and hungry since there was no vegetarian protein at the breakfasts. (Fran did recommend that if you have special dietary requests -just let them know before your arrival and they will accommodate). I didn't tell them until the day I arrived. Unfortunately, I stayed for three days and never received any special food items - so over-ate the carbs at breakfasts.

There was another small issue, where Fran told me one thing, Bryan later told the opposite. I was upset, told Fran, she told Bryan, Bryan was angry with me for talking to his wife.

Bottom line: stick with Mary! Communicate clearly and in advance when possible and you will enjoy a beautiful house with great people and great food and have a wonderful vacation at a good price.

Room Tip: Fitness Center /pool are not applicable.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Manteca, California
Reviewed 14 April 2014

If you are looking for the "elegance of days gone by-18th Century" coupled with a visit to the Mansions of the "gilded age" from the early billionaires of American History, do plan a visit to Newport, Rhode Island's Sarah Kendall House. What Bryan and Fran, owners have done with this historic Bed and Breakfast from the late 18th Century to early 1900's is truly remarkable! From the architecture of the house to the authentic museum quality antiques, each room with fireplaces, large baths, beautiful ocean views to the fresh baked breads/muffins/cakes, full American Breakfast, includes fresh juices and variety of fresh fruits to cognac in the evening, one cannot find a more inviting ambiance to relax in. What a wonderful way to end our travels in celebration of our 5th Wedding Anniversary! Thanks Fran and Bryan for your warm hospitality and friendly table conversation and great history background. We will see you in June for our annual vacation getaway! Rev. & Mrs. D.M. Davey

Room Tip: They all are beautiful....
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank davey1550
Cameron Park, California
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We arrived in Newport on 3/16 and were greeted by a young woman, maybe in her mid-20s. Pleasant, but not very enlightening with respect to the area restaurants and sites. She showed us around the home, but again, not especially informative. The property is very, very nice and picturesque. We were in the Sarah Kendall Room, which is nicely appointed. However, the bed was truly one of the most uncomfortable beds we have ever slept in. Two nights killed us. In addition, the bed was set way high...I am 6'2" and my legs still dangled a good foot from the floor. My wife needed a running start to get up into bed. Well, not a running start, but it several attempts to scale the bed!

The first breakfast was okay; while there was a selection of bagels and breads, they were surprisingly stale; I believe she said the owners also owned a bagel/bakery in town and we were excited for some fresh baked goods. I think the bagels were a couple of days old...awful. The second breakfast had what appeared to be a repeat of the bakery goods...stale, again. The breakfast, eggs benedict, was okay, but filling.

We missed the extra enthusiasm that usually comes from the innkeepers. What was a little disconcerting was this young woman had a friend over, and we heard repeated squeels of laughter, not unlike what you might hear at a middle school girl's sleepover. Is this really the face the Sarah Kendall House wants front and center? Probably not.

All in all, this stay was a great disappointment; had the innkeepers been there, the bed more comfortable, and the bakery goods fresh, perhaps our stay would have been better. Inasmuch as they were not, sadly, and with all sincerity, I find it very difficult to recommend this establishment.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank paul912
sarahkendallhouse, Owner at Sarah Kendall House, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for your comments although we cannot find a booking made on March 16,2014. The B+ B was closed for a winter break. Our bagels are delivered early morning and we have been in business for 20 years so would not risk our reputation on stale products. The muffins and breads are made early the same time every morning. The mattress in question is brand new and was purchased after the Summer season every year. There is a stool next to the bed that would have helped your wife getting in the bed. We do our best to give any information about Newport to any guests that have questions. I am the inn owner and was not away on the weekend mentioned as the 16th of March was a Sunday. The inn keeper quarters are two floors away from the Sarah Kendall room so it would be impossible to hear giggling from that far away. I am truly sorry for the experience they may have had but please read our other reviews and none of the criticism matches.
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

The young woman who received us was pleasant but not particularly friendly or outgoing. She is most likely a little shy.

The owners of the B&B were traveling which was a great disappointment for us. Is always nice when you're welcomed by the owner because they take such pride in their home. They can tell you stories about the house or area. It personalizes and adds another dimension to your stay.

The house itself was beautiful and a wonderful hot breakfast was cooked to order, along with a large selection of fresh fruits, breads, bagels, donuts, and juice. The front porch is very welcoming, with plenty of room for guests to relax. A cooler stocked wirh soda and beer was placed on the porch in the evening.

We were in the Isaac Kendall Room. It was clean with a large bathroom and robes in the closet. The one thing that surprised me was the bed linens. The pillow cases did not match the sheets. They were not a coordinating set either. I had also hoped for that really crisp clean sheet feel. Whatever the type of sheets they use, they were not particularly nice to sleep on.

This was a very special occasion for us and I felt that overall, despite the beauty, it was pretty sterile.

I would never begrudge an owner time away. Nor would I complain about a loyal employee who does her job. For me, I will not book a room in the future if the owner is not there.

• Stayed October 2013
Lee, New Hampshire
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This past weekend I stayed at the Sarah Kendall House. Brian and Fran, the owners, are delightful hosts and their home is a total delight. We stayed in the guest house on the third floor overlooking the water. The room was quaint, immaculate, and filled with great energy. We loved it! Breakfast was also wonderful... homemade pancakes, fresh bagels (made daily), fruits, pastries... yum! I don't think we could have found more perfect place to stay in Newport.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Ipswich, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 November 2013

What a gem of a place.! We were on a spur of the moment get a way with friends and we were directed to the Sarah Kendall Inn by the Visitors Center.. What a warm and inviting home . All the rooms have a gas fire place and soft terrycloth robes.Breakfast was fantastic all served in a museum like setting.The inn keepers Fran and Bryan are full of great local history . We will be returning to Sarah Kendall next trip down to Newport.

Room Tip: All were special in their own way.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Massacusetts
Reviewed 3 November 2013

If you are looking for a B&B look no further. Excellent location, beautiful clean rooms and magnificent breakfast. Upon arrival before entry you will notice its location is ideal. The inn is within walking distance to the harbor and Thames Street and has great views of Goat Island. Upon entering you will be greeted by a very knowledgable innkeeper/ owner offering history on the inn as well as recommendations of places to eat and local attractions. The inn and room is magnificent and spotlessly clean. I've got a bit of OCD and couldn't have been happier with the cleanliness. The mattresses were super comfortable and the room decorated perfectly. We took the well worth it trek to the third floor siting area where you have spectacular 360 views. In the morning we were greeted by a beautifully set table full with a variety of foods fresh bagels, muffins, banana bread, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, cranberry juice, orange juice, water with lemon and they also served each guest a hot plate of delicious food which changed daily.. Honestly, stop looking Bryan and his wife Fran have thought of it all and have the perfect recipe for a great B&B . Thanks to them for a wonderful place to stay for my husband and I during our weekend getaway.. We will definitely be returning.
Mr. & Mrs. J