Sarah Kendall House
Newport Marriott(Newport)
Grace Vanderbilt(Newport)
Hotel Viking(Newport)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbagelsfront porchkendall roomfresh fruitbagel shopb bkendal houselemon squaresmy husband and iwealth of knowledgebeautiful victorian homebannockbreakfast tablecranberry juicebeach baglovely chinabeautifully set table
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I had a fantastic stay at the Sarah Kendall House. As soon as we arrived, Bryan gave us a tour and told us a brief history of the house. The rooms are very clean and nicely decorated. Parking was easy. The location is great as it is a short walk to anywhere in Newport. The owners were very nice and accommodating. My husband and I begrudgingly slept through breakfast one day, and Bryan let me put together a tray of goodies to take up to the room. So nice! The muffins and banana bread were delicious! I highly recommend the Sarah Kendall House and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stacy Ellen C
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I have been vacationing in Newport for over 20 years, the first time I stayed at a hotel that was "near everything"...extremely over rated, I then had a friend say, stay at a bed and breakfast, so I did. Wow it got 4 stars, and today I ask why??? oh that's right, it is right in the middle of town...you literally hear everything all night...oh that's right, they serve a "great" breakfast, bagels, donuts, warm oj and cold coffee... the hot water lasted for 2 minutes in my shower, I sadly use more than 2 towels but what an effort to get more. So needless to say my first bed and breakfast experience was not great.

I then one trip booked the sarah kendall house for a long weekend, well the rest is history. the owners are truly like family, they are sincere, funny, informative and make my stay ALL THE TIME fantastic and comfortable. Sure you might pay 10 or 15 or 20 more a night than those bnb's "close to town" but the breakfast is 5 star restaurant quality every time, abundance of every thing, fruit, muffins, fresh bagels, juices, hot coffee or tea, not the same selection every morning, variety at its best. Secondly my car is safe, plenty of room on premises. there is not an amenity I require, they have it all. the bed rooms are just not good, they are amazingly comfortable and great, oh by the way, I can take as many hot showers as I want and the AC in the summer always works. I've stayed there so many times I cant count that high but there are times I have happened to over hear some "jerk" say, I wanted a cranberry muffin and all they had was corn, bran, blueberry,chocolate and pistachio muffins...oh poor baby. I deal with people in my business and when in the service business, you have to bite your tongue but how about this couple who makes it clear upon checking in, "we eat a lot for breakfast, so I hope you serve a lot" or how about the person that tries to tell the owners, "your breakfast times are too early" wow, how have they lasted so long without that wonderful input... bottom line, if any of the above has offended anyone im glad, stay somewhere else, because for my money there is truly no where else to stay that meets all my needs at such a high level

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Gorgeous. Spotless. Elegant. Historical. Comfortable. Relaxing. A great price. A great location.

Mary: The other reviews referred to a young lady in her 20's. This is Mary, she is the one employee of the owners Fran and Bryan. Yes, she is young. She is also kind, sincere, incredibly helpful, welcoming, and friendly. She puts on the breakfasts, cleans the rooms, responds to guests needs, and makes sure you have mints in your room and cookies and drinks to greet you at the door.

I met Fran twice. Honest, sincere, down to earth, accommodating. She and her husband do own a bakery and the fresh bagels and muffins are amazing. The various fruits were also fresh and of high quality (unlike other local B&B's I stayed at.)

Bryan: Knows the history of his house in his sleep, it's his families history. He and his wife are knowledgeable about Newport, but they are busy and you can not expect them to give a lot of time and advice. They have many guests, and family and friends of their own - especially on holidays.

For me the room was perfect, the house was perfect, the two women were perfect. Bryan gave a great price, a great opportunity to experience his place, but was also a bit rude to me and other guests on a couple of occasions. Understandably, tourists are often "loved and hated" by the locals who rely on them. It was a busy Mother's Day weekend and he was likely quite tired. I got in trouble for taking two muffins at breakfast. (I didn't eat the main course just muffins and fruit.) I don't regret it! I LOVE the pistachio muffins; I'd never had that flavor before. I was also pregnant and hungry since there was no vegetarian protein at the breakfasts. (Fran did recommend that if you have special dietary requests -just let them know before your arrival and they will accommodate). I didn't tell them until the day I arrived. Unfortunately, I stayed for three days and never received any special food items - so over-ate the carbs at breakfasts.

There was another small issue, where Fran told me one thing, Bryan later told the opposite. I was upset, told Fran, she told Bryan, Bryan was angry with me for talking to his wife.

Bottom line: stick with Mary! Communicate clearly and in advance when possible and you will enjoy a beautiful house with great people and great food and have a wonderful vacation at a good price.

Room Tip: Fitness Center /pool are not applicable.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2014

If you are looking for the "elegance of days gone by-18th Century" coupled with a visit to the Mansions of the "gilded age" from the early billionaires of American History, do plan a visit to Newport, Rhode Island's Sarah Kendall House. What Bryan and Fran, owners have done with this historic Bed and Breakfast from the late 18th Century to early 1900's is truly remarkable! From the architecture of the house to the authentic museum quality antiques, each room with fireplaces, large baths, beautiful ocean views to the fresh baked breads/muffins/cakes, full American Breakfast, includes fresh juices and variety of fresh fruits to cognac in the evening, one cannot find a more inviting ambiance to relax in. What a wonderful way to end our travels in celebration of our 5th Wedding Anniversary! Thanks Fran and Bryan for your warm hospitality and friendly table conversation and great history background. We will see you in June for our annual vacation getaway! Rev. & Mrs. D.M. Davey

Room Tip: They all are beautiful....
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davey1550
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We arrived in Newport on 3/16 and were greeted by a young woman, maybe in her mid-20s. Pleasant, but not very enlightening with respect to the area restaurants and sites. She showed us around the home, but again, not especially informative. The property is very, very nice and picturesque. We were in the Sarah Kendall Room, which is nicely appointed. However, the bed was truly one of the most uncomfortable beds we have ever slept in. Two nights killed us. In addition, the bed was set way high...I am 6'2" and my legs still dangled a good foot from the floor. My wife needed a running start to get up into bed. Well, not a running start, but it several attempts to scale the bed!

The first breakfast was okay; while there was a selection of bagels and breads, they were surprisingly stale; I believe she said the owners also owned a bagel/bakery in town and we were excited for some fresh baked goods. I think the bagels were a couple of days old...awful. The second breakfast had what appeared to be a repeat of the bakery goods...stale, again. The breakfast, eggs benedict, was okay, but filling.

We missed the extra enthusiasm that usually comes from the innkeepers. What was a little disconcerting was this young woman had a friend over, and we heard repeated squeels of laughter, not unlike what you might hear at a middle school girl's sleepover. Is this really the face the Sarah Kendall House wants front and center? Probably not.

All in all, this stay was a great disappointment; had the innkeepers been there, the bed more comfortable, and the bakery goods fresh, perhaps our stay would have been better. Inasmuch as they were not, sadly, and with all sincerity, I find it very difficult to recommend this establishment.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank paul912
sarahkendallhouse, Owner at Sarah Kendall House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for your comments although we cannot find a booking made on March 16,2014. The B+ B was closed for a winter break. Our bagels are delivered early morning and we have been in business for 20 years so would not risk our reputation on stale products. The muffins and breads are made early the same time every morning. The mattress in question is brand new and was purchased after the Summer season every year. There is a stool next to the bed that would have helped your wife getting in the bed. We do our best to give any information about Newport to any guests that have questions. I am the inn owner and was not away on the weekend mentioned as the 16th of March was a Sunday. The inn keeper quarters are two floors away from the Sarah Kendall room so it would be impossible to hear giggling from that far away. I am truly sorry for the experience they may have had but please read our other reviews and none of the criticism matches.