We stayed at the Wyndham Inn on the Harbor for a week at the end of September 2011. Overall, this was a great week. If we were back in Newport, I'd definitely consider staying at this location again.
* I expected it be like a time-share experience, so I wasn't surprised that we only had the one "mid-week tidy" on Tuesday. They came in and changed the towels and took our trash. They even did the dishes I left in the sink - what a pleasant surprise! The unit seemed very clean as well.
* Parking is included. This is a fantastic perk - parking is really at a premium in Newport! We could drive when we wanted to go on a day trip outside town. Everything else was within walking distance for us. We were able to find parking in the lower level of the garage every day, so the car was covered. There are "tandem" spots in the upper level where you'd need to leave your keys with the desk if you parked behind someone else. I can see that that could be a hassle, but it did not affect us at all this trip.
* The bathroom is divided with the sink in one part, then a door that separates the toilet and shower.
* The unit we stayed in had a shower only - no tub. The shower was generously sized - I don't usually like shower-only units, but this one was very nice - enough room to move in and out of the water. I have to say I think I preferred this to the traditional shower-over-tub - didn't need to step over the edge of the tub every day. Another pleasant surprise.
* The layout of the unit is a little odd. You walk in off the hall to the bedroom. Then there's a little hall with a galley kitchen on one side and the bathroom on the other. Then there's a small living room with a pullout sofa and small table with chairs. I can see why they put the living room where you have the view of the harbor - it was beautiful. But it did feel odd to walk through the bedroom to the get to the living room.
* The rooms are also pretty tight. It's all functional, but I wouldn't recommend more than 2 people in the unit - I think you would be tripping over each other. The photos from the other travelers were very accurate to our unit - they give a sense of the amount of space.
* I did buy some minimal groceries (cereal and milk, soft drinks, some items for snacking), so the refridgerator and dishes/flatware were very handy. We didn't do any actual cooking, though. If you do plan to cook, be aware that there's very limited counter space. Not a problem for us, though.
* We didn't ask for much from the staff, but when we did, they were courteous and helpful. And they generally smiled, wished us a good day, and such as we came and went.
* Location is great - in the middle of it all. We had no problem with noise from the bar/restaurant on the first floor - maybe because it was after Labor Day and the general vibe overall in Newport was a little quieter.
* There is no pool. Space is very tight in that part of town, so that doesn't surprise me - i don't know where they'd put a pool! I'm told that you could go to a local Y or something. This was not a priority for us - we didn't make use of that option.
* The exterior photo makes it look like you have a small balcony. At least in our unit, you did not. It's just a railing outside the windows. On the plus side, you could open one of the windows to let fresh air in - a rarity in most hotels these days.
I am not giving it 5 stars because of a couple of details. I'll say again that I really liked this place. But there were a few details that kept it from being outstanding.
* Bed in the bedroom was a double, not a queen. Does anyone really expect 2 adults to be able to sleep together in a double bed any more?
* It would be nice to have a safe in the room.
* The "tightness" of the unit - if there was just a little more space, it would feel more relaxing. Not a deal breaker, but not enough to rate the full 5 stars from me.
* When I asked if there was a computer I could use, I was told I needed to go a couple of blocks down the street to another Wyndham. We did go over there and the staff there was nice too. Not having a computer at our location was not a huge problem, but it would be so much more convenient to have been able to look things up or print our boarding passes right there.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Wyndham Inn on the Harbor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wyndham Inn On The Harbor Hotel Newport
- Wyndham On The Harbor
- Wyndham Hotel Newport
- Wyndham Newport
- Newport Wyndham