“great location, great experience”

Wyndham Inn on the Harbor
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed at the Wyndham Inn on the Harbor for a week at the end of September 2011. Overall, this was a great week. If we were back in Newport, I'd definitely consider staying at this location again.

Details:
* I expected it be like a time-share experience, so I wasn't surprised that we only had the one "mid-week tidy" on Tuesday. They came in and changed the towels and took our trash. They even did the dishes I left in the sink - what a pleasant surprise! The unit seemed very clean as well.
* Parking is included. This is a fantastic perk - parking is really at a premium in Newport! We could drive when we wanted to go on a day trip outside town. Everything else was within walking distance for us. We were able to find parking in the lower level of the garage every day, so the car was covered. There are "tandem" spots in the upper level where you'd need to leave your keys with the desk if you parked behind someone else. I can see that that could be a hassle, but it did not affect us at all this trip.
* The bathroom is divided with the sink in one part, then a door that separates the toilet and shower.
* The unit we stayed in had a shower only - no tub. The shower was generously sized - I don't usually like shower-only units, but this one was very nice - enough room to move in and out of the water. I have to say I think I preferred this to the traditional shower-over-tub - didn't need to step over the edge of the tub every day. Another pleasant surprise.
* The layout of the unit is a little odd. You walk in off the hall to the bedroom. Then there's a little hall with a galley kitchen on one side and the bathroom on the other. Then there's a small living room with a pullout sofa and small table with chairs. I can see why they put the living room where you have the view of the harbor - it was beautiful. But it did feel odd to walk through the bedroom to the get to the living room.
* The rooms are also pretty tight. It's all functional, but I wouldn't recommend more than 2 people in the unit - I think you would be tripping over each other. The photos from the other travelers were very accurate to our unit - they give a sense of the amount of space.
* I did buy some minimal groceries (cereal and milk, soft drinks, some items for snacking), so the refridgerator and dishes/flatware were very handy. We didn't do any actual cooking, though. If you do plan to cook, be aware that there's very limited counter space. Not a problem for us, though.
* We didn't ask for much from the staff, but when we did, they were courteous and helpful. And they generally smiled, wished us a good day, and such as we came and went.
* Location is great - in the middle of it all. We had no problem with noise from the bar/restaurant on the first floor - maybe because it was after Labor Day and the general vibe overall in Newport was a little quieter.
* There is no pool. Space is very tight in that part of town, so that doesn't surprise me - i don't know where they'd put a pool! I'm told that you could go to a local Y or something. This was not a priority for us - we didn't make use of that option.
* The exterior photo makes it look like you have a small balcony. At least in our unit, you did not. It's just a railing outside the windows. On the plus side, you could open one of the windows to let fresh air in - a rarity in most hotels these days.

I am not giving it 5 stars because of a couple of details. I'll say again that I really liked this place. But there were a few details that kept it from being outstanding.
* Bed in the bedroom was a double, not a queen. Does anyone really expect 2 adults to be able to sleep together in a double bed any more?
* It would be nice to have a safe in the room.
* The "tightness" of the unit - if there was just a little more space, it would feel more relaxing. Not a deal breaker, but not enough to rate the full 5 stars from me.
* When I asked if there was a computer I could use, I was told I needed to go a couple of blocks down the street to another Wyndham. We did go over there and the staff there was nice too. Not having a computer at our location was not a huge problem, but it would be so much more convenient to have been able to look things up or print our boarding passes right there.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank PassinThru09

Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed at this time share hotel for the first time. Although we prefer Long Wharf,
we were able to get an RCI exchange on a week that was convenient for us. This two bedroom unit would have been uncomfortable had another couple joined us. The door opens into one bedroom, then you walk into the kitchenette and living room. The other bedroom off the living room is more private. It was a disappointment. It was nice to be on Thames Street and the parking was actually convenient as long as you are willing to leave the keys at the front desk. But, overall, the layout made no sense for a two bedroom except, perhaps for a young family that stays together and doesn't come and go at different hours of the day or night. The staff, however, was consistently pleasant and helpful. They made the difference for us, helping us overlook the less than desirable environment.

Room Tip: Take a one bedroom instead. At least you get a great view!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EastCoastMack
Reviewed 10 June 2011

We stayed in a one bedroom using a timeshare exchange. The unit was a good size for 2 people, although the kitchen area could have used more counter space. (It was difficult to fit both the toaster and coffee pot on it.) It was clean, and the front desk people were helpful.

The hotel was in a great location - within walking distance to lots of restaurants and shopping. The mansions were longer walks, but still do-able.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VTsoxfan04
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Checked into the hotel 9/2 and was given a wonderful room, very clean and spacious. I stayed in this hotel in 1999 with my boyfriend and we thought we would try it again after being apart for 11 years. The 6th floor observation deck is incredible, very nice view of the Harbor and the 120' Campbell soup yacht was below us at 41N. There is a full size refrigerator, stove top, microwave and coffee maker in the room. I also like the fact the bathroom sink is separated from the toliet and shower. The lounge on the lower level had great music and we liked the fact it was 4 levels from our room. The hotel is located on Thames street and walking distance to everything.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sillywilly
Reviewed 14 August 2010

The location was perfect for us with 2 teen-aged girls, walking Thames St. & shopping. The room was nice, except the pull-out sofa was extremely uncomfortable for sleeping, so we had to put the mattress on the floor every night. Noise was not an issue from the bar on the ground floor since we were on the 3rd floor. However I would request a 5th or 6th floor room so you don't wake up at 6am to the noisy trucks in the alley. You would be lucky to get a room with a view of the harbor, ours was a roof. The staff was friendly and helpful, but no cleaning was done at mid-week, like we have at our "home" resort. The "Member's lounge" is a great feature for getting out of the small room. Parking is free, but very cramped. I loved having the roof to take in the beautiful view of the harbor.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank beach_bum336
Reviewed 21 July 2010

We had not booked any accommodation and turned up in Newport looking for a hotel. We found this place, the price was very competitive. The rooms were 'funny' in terms of they were like little serviced apartments. The bedroom was separate from the lounge area. The air con in the bed room was not great. The room itself was clean enough, they were serviced daily. The location was great, the car parking was free. We travelled with two teenage boys who were in the room next door and they loved it.
There are plenty of nice restaurants nearby. Overall a pleasant and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank leannie73
Reviewed 10 July 2010

The room was perfect. It had everything we needed. We loved the view day and night. We parked for free. We ate in the down stairs restaurant that was on the water at the marina. It had an air conditioner and you could also open the screen door for fresh air. If you went to the roof you could sit and relax and take in the view. It was near everything. We could walk to most places, except the mansions. It was a great vacation.

• Stayed: July 2010