“Loved the Chanler!”

Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Newport
New Haven, Connecticut
“Loved the Chanler!”
Reviewed 16 March 2008

We enjoyed a lovely weekend at the Chanler. We were in the Martha's Vineyard room and it was just perfect. The service was excellent from the moment we arrived. We ate all of our meals at the hotel and the food was outstanding. We will definitely have more weekends at the Chanler!

• Liked — details
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flipperpuss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 March 2008

DH and I stayed there for one night in Dec. 07- it was our first night away from our 9m old son. It was the PERFECT hotel for a romantic getaway (plus we had gotten engaged on the cliffwalk years earlier).

We stayed in the Block Island room. The room was gorgeous- beautifully designed. The heated tiles in the bathroom were fabulous! We loved the private hut-tub outside and the view was amazing. The fireplace made the room feel very cozy- it was perfect. The room itself was on the small side, but it was fine.

We had a little issue trying to get our room locked, but that was probably our fault. We figured it out after a call to the front desk. There was also one light I could NOT find the switch for so I ended up just leaving it on all night. Hmmm.... perhaps I'm sleep deprived? ;)

Hotel staff was all very friendly and accomodating.

We also dined in the restaurant. We weren't really in the mood for such a high-end meal, but since we were only there one night we figured it would be easier to stay on the property for dinner. It was very yummy and we enjoyed our meal, but nothing mind-blowing.

After checkout, we left our car valet'd and took a nice walk around the cliff walk.

It was crazy expensive, but given that it was off-season, the price was much easier to handle. Overall I would recommend this hotel- it was heaven.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank peanutbuttah2016
Glastonbury,CT
Reviewed 28 January 2008

My husband heard about this property from a coworker who stayed here for a company get together financed by his wif'e's employer, a large pharmaceutical company. My first comment after looking over the choices on the hotel website was that "bigger and more expensive doesn't always mean better"...Husband totally ignored this and said "I want an ocean view in villa accomodations". His birthday..his paycheck so I booked the Martha's Vineyard Villa.

Now eating my words: It is Gorgeous!!!.

The villas have private entrances all with their own courtyards. The ocean view ones have a lower courtyard with hot tub (operating in January) and saunas, while the garden villas also with courtyard, have only the hottubs. A set of stairs brings you to a deck with a bench seat in the corner providing the best oceanview and a table with a few other chairs. Enter the villa through a set of huge atrium doors into a beautifully decorated room (blues) that initially seems a little small for the price. I forgot to mention the welcome glasses of champagne at checkin and the bowl of fruit awating us on the villa's wetbar. The front desk attendant escorted us to our villa (not in the original mansion) and showed us how to work the lighting, fireplace, and three headed sunken marble shower and jacuzzi in the bathroom with heated floor tiles! A bathroom to die for.
The Martha's Vineyard Villa has a wetbar, fridge, gas fireplace, large TV enclosed in paneling above the fireplace and a king sized opulent 4 postered canopy bed along with 2 comfy chairs and an ottoman at the foot of the bed all located in front of the fireplace and TV.
Lay on the bed, look at the fire and gaze out the window s/atriums onto the icey Atlantic waters of Newport's First Beach or better yet, wake up in time for the spectacular sunrise ( even in 20 degree January weather). Robes are provided upstairs for the showers and downstairs for the hottub with slippers at both locations as well. Bottled water provided at the wetbar and hot tub .The front desk calls to make sure you would like turndown and what time is convenient. If you prefer privacy, say no and enjoy the enclosed gated courtyard to your heart's content.
A newspaper is delivered , placed in a bag outside your locked courtyard entrance for the AM and options for breakfast include a continental breakfast deliverd to your room or breakfast in the Spiced Pear , the onsite restaurant with stunning views from all tables. Breakfast, included in the room price, is superb. We had the signature Frenchtoast and the Eggs Benedict, beautiful presentation and just plain yummy.
I am sorry that I didn't give the Spiced Pear a chance for dinner as the breakfast was delicious. One of the other Trip Advisor reviewers noted that for 2 dinner was $400...they must have had some pricey bottle of wine for the menu prices i observed while high, were no more outrageous than any other exclusive restaurant. I cannot imagine spending mroe than $200.
After breakfast ,we asked the front desk attendant if we could see one of the other mansion rooms ( I was hoping to see the Louis XVI..the room i would have chosen). She showed us the Greek Revival, a very nice room with a superb deck overlooking a full Atlantic Ocean view over cliff walk. This room is very reasonably priced and i wouldn't hesitate to stay here. She then showed us the English Tudor Suite, a little dark for my tastes but lovely with an in room paneled raised jacuzzi..very stately. And lastly , she brought us into the Louis XVI...which was quite lovely with a set of three windows forming a bay with sitting area and a deck that adjoined the Greek revivals with its spectacular views. This room was quite opulent and along with the English manor one of the three priciest in the mansion.

This getaway was to celebrate my husband's birthday. We have stayed in many hotels through the years, many costing more than their worth though we are willing to pay for a view! None have been anything like this. A former Newport Mansion located on the famous CLiff Walk, it has been refurbished beautifully. We paid winter prices which i thought were a little steep initially. The summer prices almost triple but for January with a sunrise to order, the Martha's Vineyard Villa with all its amenities and beautiful features including the yummy Spiced Pear breakast was worth every penny.
If you are celebrating a special occasion any of the rooms would be a treat. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!

• Liked — Stunning Ocean Views, Great Bathroom
  • Disliked — That it costs so much in the summer..It would be perfect then!
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kktraveler
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 January 2008

My stay at The Chanler was a surprise gift to me from my fiancee. And surprised I was! Wow what a beautiful location and a beautiful hotel. We stayed Saturday night in January so it was not too crowded . I think that's a good thing because this way you get great service. We have traveled around the world and are sometimes dissapointed by deceiving photo's online from hotels. This was the opposite. The entrance to the hotel property is very nice and we were friendly welcomed by a hostess who guided us to our room. We were stunned when we entered our room (the williamsburg) Fireplace was on and romantic music was playing. The room was spotless and very nicely decorated. The room had 2 beautiful bathrooms both with heated floors. One bathroom had a spa bath tub, the other a huge double shower and tv. The lighting in the room and bathrooms could be adjusted from bright to dim. Very nice. We did the cliffwalk (a must) before dinner. The dining room was very nice. My fiancee asked for a table by the window when he made the reservation and indeed that's what we got.The food. My dishes were great, my fiacee's dishes were "ok". Dessert was not great but good. The prices at "The spiced Pear" are on the high end but we concluded you pay for "the experience" too and not only the food. Breakfast was included and delicious.
I LOVED my stay at The Chanler and it was very special. I would recommend it to all who want a beautiful romantic room and nice dinner. I thought it was great during the winter season.

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank dutchlove
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 29 October 2007

Absolutely Beautiful!

The room was absolutely beautiful. We stayed in the Peonies and Ivy Room. When we arrived the staff was very pleasant, brought us through a garden walk way to our private entrance of our room. It was a perfect weekend with weather and a perfect location. We walked the cliff walk- right outside The Chanler... walked to dinner. Our room was elegant and special, because of the theme. It wouldn't be how I would choose to decorate my house, but it was very classic. The valet service was very prompt and friendly.

The ONLY complaint I have is with the restaurant. We ate lunch there, it was not busy and it took 1 hour and 45 minutes for us to get our food. The staff was rude, inattentive and not professional. Table around us were served there food, finished eating and left before we got our food and the 2 of us were there first!

I LOVE The Chanler, but not the Spiced Pear. Luckily, there are many fine restaurants in the area.

Highly recommend.

• Liked — Classy
  • Disliked — The Spiced Pear
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank mcotter17
New York, NY
Reviewed 24 October 2007

The rooms are fantastic--some are opulent even. Fine bedding, spotlessly clean, jacuzzi tubs, stunning views. The grounds are smaller than they look in photos but are well kept and beautiful. Do spend time relaxing in an Adirondak, watching the ocean. I could go on and on about the grounds and the rooms. I wouldn't agree with the previous guest that the rooms are faded--in fact, I adamantly disagree with this assessment.

However, like others I found the service to be spotty. The service is gracious--the staff sincerely tries to be helpful and work quite hard--however, for the most, they lacking training in proper hospitality service and in the touches that should be customary for the class of hotel to which the Chanler aspires. That said, both Paul and Casey were service standouts during our visit. Paul welcomed us and other guests to the hotel with a glass of sparkling wine!

From environment to menu, the Spiced Pear is past its prime and living in the afterglow of the prior, widely-acclaimed chef. My husband and I are foodies. We will and do pay exorbitant amounts of fine dining. At the Spiced Pear, we felt ripped off. There is a significant disjuncture between the quality of the food and its price. My mind is still reeling that they charge $65 for a serving of beef tenderloin--even if it is organic. I could order an entree at Daniel in New York city or Kinkead's in Washington, DC for a fraction of that price that would bring tears to my eyes. Many of the dishes on the menu are bizarre concoctions. Do you really need to deep fry fois gras like a chicken drumstick?! The food is too tarted up. The kitchen aims too high and fails. The owners would be well served to switch to a more modest menu--perhaps basic bistro food--that is more in line with
the kitchen's talents.

The restaurant service is also unprofessional: a very expensive bottle of wine was not opened table side, meals were served on the left and right side, as the mood struck our server. Our party of 2 was sat at a table that could have easily accommodated 6 or 8 diners, a party of four sitting nearby was dining at a table that could have sat 10 people. So much for cozy dinner conversation! If I was dining at a less formal more expensive place, these would not have been issues. But when paying fine dining prices ($400 for dinner for 2), I expect fine dining service and environs.

In sum, the setting makes it worth taking a chance on for future travelers. But expect to be frustrated and make dinner reservations elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank clarinistica
London
Reviewed 7 October 2007

We were disappointed in the chanler. first there was a wedding party in progress the day we arrived. it took over all the dining rooms & the bar at the hotel & meant room service took forever & was limited. no one bothered, during email exchanges about transport to the hotel, to advise us this was going to happen & that we'd need to make other eating arrangements. a small but important piece of information. the front of desk staff advised us on arrival that we'd have trouble making a booking anywhere decent in newport because of the jazz festival. another small but vital fact.

the wedding also meant that until 8pm a live band played & all through the hotel you could hear awful versions of pop songs like "soul man" ! also at any given moment 6 or so men were smoking cigars as they wandered around the lawns & the smell drifted everywhere.

it was all quiet by 9.30 & we wouldn't have minded & may even have felt good humoured about it if we'd been warned & had been able to get an evening meal.

our room was expensive, small & decorated without taste - far too much furniture. although it was clean the soft furnishings & drapes were faded & so it felt tired.

only a couple of the staff were pleasant & almost no one helpful.

the restaurant was awful - again faded fabric & no atmosphere & the food was poorly cooked.

the only thing that made the weekend work was the view from our balcony which was superb.

lastly, be careful, at times food & drink delivered to our room had a 20% service charge included & so if like us you didn't realise & added a gratuity you were effectively paying a 40% tip.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — lack of service & care
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple