All reviews spiced pear car service cliff walk gothic room private hot tub ocean villa louis xvi greek revival english tudor glass of sparkling wine martha's vineyard block island my husband and i private courtyard beautiful hotel gas fireplace wet bar
Reviewed 1 April 2013

This is a supreme hotel, excellent luxury rooms regardless of your choice, outstanding staff and service, the location, the restaurant, lounge, views, food, wine and atmosphere are divine, especially the amazing 3 course off season value menu and breakfast menu choices. Every thing about our weekend getaway was perfect, I couldn't recommend a stay here more, it far exceeded our expectations, and worth the journey all the way from California. One of the most romantic hotels you can experience and the property is well maintained in every respect.

Reviewed 30 March 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend to celebrate her brother's 40th. This place really turned out to be a gem. Our room had a small enclosed courtyard with a private outdoor hottub, and big deck that overlooked the beach / ocean. The hotel provides car service to and from locations in Newport, which we used for dinner plans one evening. The staff was really fantastic, from the front desk to the restaurant to room service. The bottle of champagne in our room when we arrived was a very nice touch.

The hotel sits right along the Cliff Walk, so you can use the walkway to visit several of the Newport Mansions. We also enjoyed a night in the hotel bar, which had a jazz band playing. The breakfast and dinner at the Spiced Pear was just perfect, with a view overlooking the water and beach, and first rate food and service.

Overall, I would highly recommend this to other couples. We came end of March, and managed to get a great weekend special rate that included dinner, breakfast and a mansion visit. While this might be priced a little on the high side, it was a great experience and well worth the cost.

Room Tip: The rooms with private outdoor hottubs are well worth the cost
1  Thank BrindleFly
Reviewed 26 March 2013

This was by far the most amazing stay yet. We were greeted by name when the valet came to park our car. And walking through the doors we were greeted warmly by the hostess. Brett, the valet carried all of our luggage and bags up to our room. We thought this room was amazing, but the very next morning I happened to see another room being cleaned and asked if we could be switched. Absolutely was the response "will have the valet move all of your belongings while you have breakfast." The room we moved to was beyond beautiful. It was called the Renaissance room and was huge with a balcony overlooking the ocean. We ate at the Spiced Pear the first night. First we enjoyed a cocktail at the bar with Teddy the bartender. He was so fun to talk to and new everything there was to know about the libations. Dinner was exquisite, the staff warm and friendly, and the decor top notch! I highly recommend a stay or even just a visit for dinner.

Room Tip: I would recommend the Renaissance room. It was huge and the views were stupendous!
Reviewed 16 March 2013

My son gave my wife the "Dinner and a Mansion Package". When we checked in they gave us an upgrade to the Nantucket Room. You go down a path on the left of the main building, unlock a big gate and walk in to your private patio with a full hot tub and sauna, with bathrobe and slippers waiting for you! Then up the stairs to a beautiful deck with some high top chairs and table with one of the best views in Newport, overlooking the Cliff Walk and First Beach. The room is furnished as you would expect with fireplace, four poster bed, double Jacuzzi, five head shower, you get the idea.The dinner and breakfast also as good good as it gets.

We're going back this Sunday and Monday for St. Patrick's Day, can't wait.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2013

In town on business, I decided to trust TripAdvisor's excellent ratings and I chose the Chanler. We booked online. We arrived after a long and harrowing drive through a snowstorm, to be greeted with much-needed glasses of sparkling wine, and an upgrade to one of their signature rooms. Sitting beside our private fireplace, unwinding after the long drive, my husband and I couldn't get over how lucky we felt.

The staff was ever helpful and courteous. The valets who parked our car were especially worth crediting, because they were so anxious to be of help, no matter what we needed. The house itself is cozy and perfectly located.

We dined at the restaurant the first night -- very nice meal, in a beautiful setting. We had room service the second night (didn't feel like venturing out on that cold night) and truly enjoyed our meal in the comfort of our suite. Breakfasts were delicious -- we indulged in eggs Benedict and their signature croissant sandwich with truffled scrambled eggs.

And the location? It's right on the Cliff Walk -- you can walk out the front door and head straight out along the sea. You couldn't ask for a better setting.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business