All reviews spiced pear car service cliff walk gothic room private hot tub ocean villa louis xvi greek revival english tudor glass of sparkling wine martha's vineyard block island my husband and i private courtyard beautiful hotel gas fireplace wet bar
Reviewed 6 April 2013

When in Rome, as they say...When searching for a hotel in Newport, I kept thinking that it would be nice to absorb some local color, you know, old wealth circa 1900. A friend who lives a few towns away and has Thanksgiving dinner every year at The Chanler sent me the link. And how glad we were that she did! We sprang for the most expensive suite and it was worth every penny. The hotel was simply gorgeous, from the grounds, to the ocean cliff walk, to every amenity in our enormous room and deck. The staff could not have been more gracious and professional if they tried. And it's worth pointing out that our son got quite sick with a strep throat that had been coming on for days. The hotel manager got us in to see her own doctor within the hour! Between this and the running to the drug store constantly, the staff helped us in every way to squeeze in the mansion tours in the time we had left. I cannot praise this beautiful inn highly enough. I'd go back in a heart beat!

Room Tip: I imagine all the rooms are beautiful. It depends on whether you want garden or ocean views. They were setting up for a wedding on the lawn when we left. Rooms overlooking that area might have more noise during the events. But I can't say for sure.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2013

My wife and I celebrated a special birthday at The Chanler at Cliff Walk and we were treated with a level of service rarely found. The entire staff was respectful, friendly and eager to please. We stayed in February and took advantage of the romance package, this includes a meal at the Spiced Pear and a bath service. The bath service was awesome, we returned from dinner and the bath was drawn surrounded by candles and rose petals, with a bottle of chilled wine. It was a very romantic evening at a wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: The garden rooms are not connected to the lobby and require a walk outside to get to breakfast
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2013

This is a supreme hotel, excellent luxury rooms regardless of your choice, outstanding staff and service, the location, the restaurant, lounge, views, food, wine and atmosphere are divine, especially the amazing 3 course off season value menu and breakfast menu choices. Every thing about our weekend getaway was perfect, I couldn't recommend a stay here more, it far exceeded our expectations, and worth the journey all the way from California. One of the most romantic hotels you can experience and the property is well maintained in every respect.

Reviewed 30 March 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend to celebrate her brother's 40th. This place really turned out to be a gem. Our room had a small enclosed courtyard with a private outdoor hottub, and big deck that overlooked the beach / ocean. The hotel provides car service to and from locations in Newport, which we used for dinner plans one evening. The staff was really fantastic, from the front desk to the restaurant to room service. The bottle of champagne in our room when we arrived was a very nice touch.

The hotel sits right along the Cliff Walk, so you can use the walkway to visit several of the Newport Mansions. We also enjoyed a night in the hotel bar, which had a jazz band playing. The breakfast and dinner at the Spiced Pear was just perfect, with a view overlooking the water and beach, and first rate food and service.

Overall, I would highly recommend this to other couples. We came end of March, and managed to get a great weekend special rate that included dinner, breakfast and a mansion visit. While this might be priced a little on the high side, it was a great experience and well worth the cost.

Room Tip: The rooms with private outdoor hottubs are well worth the cost
1  Thank BrindleFly
Reviewed 26 March 2013

This was by far the most amazing stay yet. We were greeted by name when the valet came to park our car. And walking through the doors we were greeted warmly by the hostess. Brett, the valet carried all of our luggage and bags up to our room. We thought this room was amazing, but the very next morning I happened to see another room being cleaned and asked if we could be switched. Absolutely was the response "will have the valet move all of your belongings while you have breakfast." The room we moved to was beyond beautiful. It was called the Renaissance room and was huge with a balcony overlooking the ocean. We ate at the Spiced Pear the first night. First we enjoyed a cocktail at the bar with Teddy the bartender. He was so fun to talk to and new everything there was to know about the libations. Dinner was exquisite, the staff warm and friendly, and the decor top notch! I highly recommend a stay or even just a visit for dinner.

Room Tip: I would recommend the Renaissance room. It was huge and the views were stupendous!