All reviewsspiced pearcar servicecliff walkgothic roomprivate hot tubocean villalouis xvigreek revivalenglish tudorglass of sparkling winemartha's vineyardblock islandprivate courtyardmy husband and ibeautiful hotelgas fireplacewet bar
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I don't give a one-star rating lightly, but unfortunately I cannot give The Chanler anything else. After a lovely three day, two night stay I returned home. The next morning I awoke with a rash that quickly covered my body. I went to my doctor and, after informing him of my activities that week, I was diagnosed with having contracted a bacterial infection from the private hot tub in our room (#16 Peonies & Ivy.)

I immediately contacted The Chanler to inform them of what happened to ensure other guests would not experience the same problem. I requested to speak to the manager on duty. My call was sent to a voice mail. This was a Saturday, and by Monday afternoon I had not heard anything back. I called again and this time spoke to a manager who was apologetic that no one had contacted me. She said she needed to speak with the General Manager and would be in touch. It's Thursday evening and I have yet to hear anything back. The Chanler has failed to acknowledge or apologize for the discomfort I've experienced as a result of my stay. This is why I have to flunk them - a true test of customer service comes when there is a problem, and The Chanler provided absolutely zero service on this matter. I would not stay here again because of it.

If you do stay here, I advise you to avoid the rooms with private hot tubs. If you do decide to risk it, be sure the water smells like chlorine - ours did not (not even faintly.)

Otherwise, we enjoyed our stay. The room was beautiful with a luxurious bathroom, comfortable bed, fireplace, private patio, private garden, as well as the private hot tub (which was initially one of the amenities that attracted me.) Breakfast, which was included in our stay, was delicious. The first morning we ate in the restaurant and got to choose from a variety of entrees. The second day we opted to have a continental breakfast served in our room. We ordered tea and only received hot water - no tea bags. A staff member did bring tea bags after I called, but by the time it was steeped the tea was luke warm.

The restaurant was a foodie's dream come true. We dined there for lunch as well as dinner, and even ate at the Chef's Table one night. Treat yourself and get the tasting menu - the culinary experience is well worth it. The food and staff were absolutely excellent.

Overall, and sadly, I cannot recommend The Chanler due to the lack of customer service. The were happy to collect my money, but were unapologetic about the bacterial infection I contracted in the hot tub. While I wouldn't ever stay there again, I would definitely return to dine.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
30  Thank 13Narya
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Recently I spent two nights with my husband at the Chanler at Cliff Walk to celebrate his birthday. It couldn't have been more wonderful! The place is beautifully restored and decorated. We had an ocean view from the jacuzzi in our bathroom. The room had a gas stove and a canopy bed. Everything throughout the hotel is immaculate! One of the high points of our stay was to book a private dinner. We had a scrumptious 8 course meal prepared by the chef at their Spiced Pear restaurant in our own wood paneled dining room. They even supplied roses for us to take home. It was expensive but we felt that it was definitely well worth the money. The staff is so well trained. We felt very pampered and hated to leave.

Reviewed 19 April 2013

This is our third year at the Chanler and something gets better with each stay. The breakfast, dinner and bar are all top notch. The accommodations; we get an ocean view outside suite feels like home; the proximibity to Cliff Walk and all Newport destinations is great! You need to be there!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 18 April 2013

This boutique hotel delivered all the wonderful things you expect from a specialty hotel, but so much more. We were in the Mediterranean Room. As expected, the staff provided impeccable service, the room had the special amenities such as a wet bar with frig., TV/DVD in all the rooms, spotless cleanliness, beautiful furnishings, doorbell, BUT ALSO, they provided special touches like a heated floor in the bathroom, a 5 nozzle shower, champagne and cookies on arrival, closet lights that automatically turn on/off, separate A/C units in each room, and every possible lighting combination you could want. Worth the effort to try this place

Room Tip: The suites are very special.
Reviewed 17 April 2013

This is the 2nd time I stayed at The Chanler due to a fabulous deal on Sniqueaway.com. This is a mansion located at the beginning of Cliff Walk & nearby beach. So impressive to drive through the wrought iron gates & be greeted by a valet that has your name on a list waiting for you. Upon checking in you are poured a glass of sparkling wine to begin your visit. The rooms are all different & quite sumptuous. Beautiful decor, linens, bathroom & service. Bed is comfortable. This time we stayed in the Georgian Room which is located on the 3rd fl. There are no elevators so it was a bit difficult for us who are getting a bit older to climb those stairs even with the valet delivering our bags to our room. Personalized service by front desk associate who climbed the stairs with us to show us the rooms, all the different switches for lights, gas fireplace which also heats the room, tv in bedroom, tv in bathroom & this one had a jacuzzi tub as well as a walk in shower with multiple showerheads. Bottled water, 2 homemade cookies, & Keurig coffee are in the mini bar complimentary. Full breakfast next morning in the Spiced Pear Restaurant was perfect--Eggs Benedict with juice & coffee--all included in room cost. They also provide driver service to and from local destinations which is really nice service since it is difficult to find parking in Newport anywhere. In sum, the room and view were spectacular. You really can't go wrong staying here if you can. It is elegant, romantic & caters to the guests. NOTE: My only complaint would be that a wedding wasn't closed after 4 hours. It started at 4 pm & we could still hear guests at 12:30 am. We returned from dinner outside the hotel at 8 pm and some wedding guests in the lobby area, restaurant, outside & even on stairwells returning to rooms were drunk & loud. The hotel management may want to close down events after 4 hours and at least by 10:30 pm so hotel guests can get a restful nights sleep. It was difficult to enjoy listening to the ocean waves because of them & this is really not the place for loud guests.

Room Tip: There are rooms on the first floor that have a private entrance outside the hotel. There are no elevators so if climbing stairs is an issue you should speak to the reservations manager when booking your stay. The higher rooms have a better room of the ocean of course; however, I'm certain all rooms are beautiful. They look exactly like the brochure.