“Skip the cocktails on the terrace menu...not worth it”

The Chanler at Cliff Walk
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Newport
New York City, New York
“Skip the cocktails on the terrace menu...not worth it”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We were in newport for the weekend and saw an advertisement from the chandler hotel restaurant advertising a 10 year anniversary special alluding to a special cocktail and appetizer menu for dining on the terrace. Don't get fooled into thinking there will be $10 cocktails or appetizers. The cocktails came in a small glass with lots of ice at $15 to $17 each. The cheese plate was $18 and included all of 6 crackers. While the view is nice you can't justify the cost. We have stayed at the hotel and enjoyed it but I'd pass on cocktails at this place. Too many better alternatives.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank LMarieF

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 July 2013

This is a hotel that is very conscious of its reputation - bragging rights seem quite important; it always made us smile. But there is a practical advantage to this reputation - you will enjoy great service all over the region when you stay at The Chanler.

Aside from the value of the reputation, the hotel itself is quite nice and of course, the location is perfect. We stayed several days in the French Provincial room and enjoyed its view, the jacuzzi bath for two under a window that overlooks the beach, and its lovely textiles and bar.

The food is excellent, and the big outdoor eating area is a joy each morning. The service was incredibly gracious from front desk to restaurant to drivers to room staff - we made a personal connection with at least one person in each of those roles. There is sufficient volume of staff to meet your every need or whim.

Each room is unique and this old mansion has its quirks. There is no elevator. The least expensive rooms are quite small and still very expensive. There is no library or sitting room with big comfy reading chairs or couches. There is one leather sofa at the entrance of the restaurant where a guest can sit, but it's too public and exposed to curl up with a book. The small entrance room is not really set up for reading either. I would suggest moving that lovely plush leather sofa from the entrance of the restaurant to the ground level room that currently houses a conference table and turn it into a library/sitting room for guests.

This hotel is an ideal starting and ending point each day - from here, you walk out the door to begin the Cliff Walk or turn the other way to the beach, or turn yet another direction to the shops and Tennis Hall of Fame.

The kitchen is sensitive to gluten free diets. Nothing is too much to ask. The grounds and gardens are both welcoming and manicured perfectly each day. What's not to like? We will return.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Warwick
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Really enjoyed our 2 night stay in the Gothic Room at The Chanler. This is a fabulous hotel in a great location, the service is excellent, all the staff go out of their way to be as helpful as possible and we loved the little touches such as chocolates and poem left on the bed after turndown service. We ate in the Spiced Pear restaurant and found the food, presentation and service of the highest quality. If we are ever in Newport area again this is where we will be staying...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fourtyplus
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed 3 nights in the Mediterranean room on the third floor. Stairs not such a problem as there is not view (except) sky the minute you sit down. The problem is the windows are small and high up, so when you walk in it's wow what a view,but the minute you sit it's wow, no view for which I'm paying extra. I know this probably doesn't matter to some, but when I pay for a view, I want to see the view even when I sit. The rooms on the second floor have no such problem! The very detailed descriptions on their website, somehow manage to not tell what floor the room is on Other rooms with this problem ( I peeked are Victorian, Gothic, and I suspect others on the third floor). I they had window seats that would have solved the problem. (Hint, hint). The shower had 5 heads but only 3 worked with a very puny stream. Don't know if this was a malfunction or a water saving feature.The shuttle service around town was great, never had to think about parking. Breakfast was very good, though the omelet was was the same 2 out of 3 days with a strongly worded "no substitutions ", surely in such a small hotel they could do custom omelets. And how about some cushions for those hard white chairs on the lawn.

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor! Some rooms look over roof. When paying $1000 a night you deserve the best.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Larysa B
Junction City, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 5 June 2013

The Chanler's wedding coordinator, Kate, did a fantastic job! Our wedding was absolutely perfect and could not have been without the efforts of Kate and Chanler staff. The Chanler is beautiful and a perfect wedding venue for both ceremony and reception.

Room Tip: Louis XIV room was gorgeous and had a perfect view!
2 Thank 75John
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We enjoyed our three day stop in Newport at the Chanler--staying in room 22 (Louis room)...
Nice outside deck on the side of the hotel overlooking the water and the beginning of the cliff walk. Beautifully decorated room with absolutely comfortable bed.
Dined at the Spiced Pear once and frequented the bar several times. It was the last Friday night for their jazz trio which doesnt play during the summer (and will be missed in our view)--as it was great fun.
Dinner at Spiced Pear featured a poached lobster which was probably the most tender lobster we've ever eaten. We also tried a special heirloom tomato salad and escargot--equally good. We were impressed with the restaurant and found the food very tastefully done.
Good wine list with a good mix of regular and high end wines...the bartenders there are great fun and made our trip a delight.
The hotel also offers complimentary van service for trips into town which means you can avoid the pain of trying to park downtown if you want to go there.
Grounds nicely done...lots of flowers blooming...staff very courteous and obviously well trained and disciplined.
We look forward to our next trip to Newport--and plan to stay again at the Chanler.

Room Tip: Their signature rooms are their nicest rooms. Having outside deck was a real plus as well.
1 Thank Cmbnova
New York, New York
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We spent 2 nights in the Louis XVI room at The Chanler over the Memorial Day weekend. What should have easily been a 5+ star moment unfortunately turned into a below average stay. The property is beautiful & the waterfront location rivals The Castle Hill Inn. I definitely prefer The Chanler because it doesn't attract large crowds- far more intimate in that sense which is nice when traveling as a couple. The room was lovely- heated floors, large tub, fireplace & ocean view balcony. The bath butler was a wonderful service & highly recommend.

I am deducting stars from my review for 2 reasons. When I wanted to take a shower in the am after breakfast- no hot water. I called the front desk & was told no issue which subsequently turned into a major issue & boiler needed repair. They didn't have estimated time for when it would be back in service other than soon. I was annoyed because I didn't shower the prior evening, worked out & was grungy. I sat around my room until I got so annoyed I threw myself together around 1 pm to go out in Newport- upset that I had wasted half of my day. My big gripe with all of this wasn't so much the water was out, but that the hotel seemed devoid of management. The girls at the desk were polite & lovely, however, a big problem warrants a personal note & a bottle of something, drinks, etc. from the manager to the guests- especially when you spend $800 bucks a night- not a low rent joint by any means. I was perturbed manager didn't extend a small, kind gesture which has always been typical in my experiences when hotel has issue. Also, when I asked what the back-up plan was for showering- no response. If my small apartment building in NYC has the ability to send for a mobile hot water truck on a moments notice a world class inn should have similar OR offer to send guests to a local gym to shower.

The other minor issue was that I was underwhelmed by the breakfast. The last morning we ordered breakfast to the room & they sent uncooked pastries- see attached pic.

I wonder if I just hit off weekend or if this is typical of the inn?

6 Thank gabrielle c