“Beautiful place to stay with a great location to Mansions”

The Chanler at Cliff Walk
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Sutton, Massachusetts
“Beautiful place to stay with a great location to Mansions”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Recently stayed with my wife for an anniversary celebration. The Chanler is absolutely beautiful with manicured grounds for a real luxurious stay. Staff was excellent, extremely attentive and focused on providing the very best stay. Based on the cost of the stay, you would really expect the very best and even more. What really put The Chanler in an elite status in my own opinion was dinner at their own restaurant, The Spiced Pear. The food was beyond amazing and maybe one of the top 3 meals I have EVER had. My only regret was the room we stayed in wsa the only one available as the rooms facing the water look like they would have made our stay an absolute 10. But the Tudor Room we stayed in was beautiful, strong wood characteristics and not as "pretty" as I am sure some of the other rooms. But just a really nice stay.

Room Tip: The Tudor Room is not on the water side, is great if you require a large room and the shower is wond...
1 Thank Brian D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This Hotel is in a great location with great views of the water. The rooms are all very different from French Provincial to Gothic . Canopy beds and heated tile floors in the bathroom in some of the rooms. We had both breakfast and Dinner at their restaurant, both were good ,service top shelf, would definitely go back.The staff were very accommodating and the Hotel courtesy Limo was a plus so you dont have to drink and drive.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AFJC32013
florida
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We stayed while visiting Newport. We just can't say enough about lovely this hotel is. The entire experience was exceptional from being greeted upon arrival through checkout. The room was just wonderful. We stayed in the Regency. It is beautiful, has heated floors in the bathroom as well as a tv and a multiple jet shower as well as a bathtub, a comfortable king-sized bed, and a fireplace. You can see the ocean from the room and it has a private porch as well. Just fabulous. The hotel is beautiful and right outside is Cliff Walk, a well known path along the ocean's edge for several miles. The staff is so helpful, particularly Stephanie, Dean and Katie. It's not cheap, but if you can, spend at least one night.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My 18 yr. old daughter and I had the pleasure of enjoying a 4 night stay at the Chanler to celebrate her graduation from high school. We stayed in the Martha Vineyard Ocean Villa for 2 nights and then switched to the English Trellis Garden Villa for the last two nights. (The MV room was not available the last two nights, so we knew when I made the reservation we would have to move.)

First of all let me say our stay was perfect timing. We arrived the day after Memorial Day and left Saturday morning before the weekend crowds. A darling college-aged staff member, in the hotel’s Land Rover greeted us at the PVD airport. He was so personable- which made the 30 minute trip delightful. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with champagne and soft drinks, and then escorted to our room along the way answering questions and pointing out the hotel details. Upon entering our villa, on the ground level there was a hot tub and steam room. Following the steps up, was our beautifully appointed room with a large King bed and working fireplace. The bathroom was awesome with an open shower with three showerheads and Jacuzzi tub.

As I began unpacking, I realized I failed to pick up one of our bags from the airport carrousel. (oh, my!!) I called the concierge and they immediately called the airport and had it sent over early the next morning. They took care of all the details; I never had to call the airport for anything. After we unpacked, I asked if we could look at some of the other rooms. We were cheerfully escorted to view 12 other rooms!! We had so much fun peeking into each of the different themed rooms, but I will have to say we hit the jackpot with the Martha’s Vineyard villa…the best as far as I’m concerned.

Anytime we needed a lift, they were happy to take us anywhere. The staff went out of their way meet our every wish.

We rented mopeds and toured the beautiful Ocean Drive stopping occasionally to take in the breathtaking views. The hotel packed a delicious lunch for us for a picnic. I would highly recommend this. We had a ball “mopedding” throughout the city.

We enjoyed touring The Breaker’s and The Marble House mansions. We agreed we preferred the Marble House because it offers audio tour rather than a guided tour. We would of like to have seen more, but just didn’t have time.

My daughter will be studying art in college, so we dropped by the local art supply store and bought paints, brushes, etc. I can still see her sitting at out desk painting away while over-looking the Atlantic Ocean …so surreal…one memory I will never forget. I hope to return one day! (this time with my hubby!)

Room Tip: Absolutely loved the outside villas overlooking the ocean was magical
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank katiekate18
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 14 October 2013

There is no better way to enjoy the Newport experience than by staying at The Chanler. The hotel will meet your every expectation from the moment you enter the hotel. Each and every staff member made us feel like we were the only guests. We stayed in the Victorian Room which was very well appointed and truly felt like we were living in one of the many "mansions" that Newport is known for. We ate in both the Spiced Pear and the less formal part of the restaurant and the meals were outstanding. The Chef created two incredible Vegan meals for my wife. There are several very nice hotels in Newport none that can provide you with the ocean views, proximity to Bellevue Avenue, over the top accommodations and best of all the staff.

1 Thank John W
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary at The Chanler as a part of a weeklong trip to New England. The greeting upon arrival included a glass of sparkling wine and an offer to make dinner reservations for us. We stayed in # 23 and very much enjoyed the Italian Renaissance decor, the deck and the view of the beach and the daily surfers. Dinner at the Spiced Pear was top notch. Cole, our waiter, took great care of us. The bar was classic and our bartender Maurice, took great care of us. The bell crew/drivers were very attentive and ready, willing, and able to drive us to and from our various destinations. This service allowed us to leave our car in the lot until we departed. An elevator, if possible, would allow disabled guests to access the beautiful accommodations more easily. Thanks for a great experience. We hope to return.

Room Tip: If affordable, a room in the back of the main bldg on an upper floor with a walk out deck would be i...
1 Thank Bill S
South Windsor, Connecticut
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I recently had the pleasure of working with some of the most dedicated banquet staff members at The Chanler in Newport, RI while doing a wedding on Oct 5th. Kate, DJ, Jayson, Haley, David and the entire staff that made the event spectacular! Event was perfect and flawless. Still receiving compliments but I could not have done it without the staff. Jayson your personally is the best! Wedding was perfect stated the Bride and Groom!

• Stayed October 2013