“Fantastic service and accommodations”

The Chanler at Cliff Walk
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Boston
“Fantastic service and accommodations”
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed at the Chanler for 2 nights in the Martha's Vineyard room overlooking the ocean. Despite the cold season, the staff was warm, inviting and extremely professional. The breakfast options were many and each was delicious. The complimentary chauffeur service made going out for dinner extremely convenient, and the restaurant recommendations were spot on. The room was cozy, clean, and had all the extra like a s'mores kit and nightly treats with the turndown service. A wonderful experience all round.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DivineMissEm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Only had one night here but the Chanler was just beautiful. The building, the location and the welcome when we walked in was lovely. They add the personal touches like notes in your room and a turn down service when they knew we were in the restaurant. It's not a cheap hotel to stay in but definitely worth the money.
We also dined at the spiced pear restaurant and the food was amazing. Both of us enjoyed our food with top notch service, then relaxed in the bar for a while. Just a lovely experience topped of with a walk not he cliff walk in the morning.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Natalie M
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I absolutely LOVE The Chanler and all of it's themed rooms! We first chose this beautiful inn as the location for our honeymoon and have traveled back every year on our anniversary to stay in a different room! Our favorite rooms, by far, are the English Tudor and the Gothic. We have yet to stay at any of the Ocean Villas with the outdoor private hot tubs and saunas because our anniversary is in November.

The Spiced Pear restaurant has wonderful food for dinner, but the breakfasts are to die for!!

While the stays are always expensive, it is worth it, clearly, because we keep coming back!!

Room Tip: The English Tudor and Gothic rooms have been our favorite! Both are similar to one another with the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Indreams07
Sutton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Recently stayed with my wife for an anniversary celebration. The Chanler is absolutely beautiful with manicured grounds for a real luxurious stay. Staff was excellent, extremely attentive and focused on providing the very best stay. Based on the cost of the stay, you would really expect the very best and even more. What really put The Chanler in an elite status in my own opinion was dinner at their own restaurant, The Spiced Pear. The food was beyond amazing and maybe one of the top 3 meals I have EVER had. My only regret was the room we stayed in wsa the only one available as the rooms facing the water look like they would have made our stay an absolute 10. But the Tudor Room we stayed in was beautiful, strong wood characteristics and not as "pretty" as I am sure some of the other rooms. But just a really nice stay.

Room Tip: The Tudor Room is not on the water side, is great if you require a large room and the shower is wond...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian D
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This Hotel is in a great location with great views of the water. The rooms are all very different from French Provincial to Gothic . Canopy beds and heated tile floors in the bathroom in some of the rooms. We had both breakfast and Dinner at their restaurant, both were good ,service top shelf, would definitely go back.The staff were very accommodating and the Hotel courtesy Limo was a plus so you dont have to drink and drive.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AFJC32013
florida
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We stayed while visiting Newport. We just can't say enough about lovely this hotel is. The entire experience was exceptional from being greeted upon arrival through checkout. The room was just wonderful. We stayed in the Regency. It is beautiful, has heated floors in the bathroom as well as a tv and a multiple jet shower as well as a bathtub, a comfortable king-sized bed, and a fireplace. You can see the ocean from the room and it has a private porch as well. Just fabulous. The hotel is beautiful and right outside is Cliff Walk, a well known path along the ocean's edge for several miles. The staff is so helpful, particularly Stephanie, Dean and Katie. It's not cheap, but if you can, spend at least one night.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My 18 yr. old daughter and I had the pleasure of enjoying a 4 night stay at the Chanler to celebrate her graduation from high school. We stayed in the Martha Vineyard Ocean Villa for 2 nights and then switched to the English Trellis Garden Villa for the last two nights. (The MV room was not available the last two nights, so we knew when I made the reservation we would have to move.)

First of all let me say our stay was perfect timing. We arrived the day after Memorial Day and left Saturday morning before the weekend crowds. A darling college-aged staff member, in the hotel’s Land Rover greeted us at the PVD airport. He was so personable- which made the 30 minute trip delightful. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with champagne and soft drinks, and then escorted to our room along the way answering questions and pointing out the hotel details. Upon entering our villa, on the ground level there was a hot tub and steam room. Following the steps up, was our beautifully appointed room with a large King bed and working fireplace. The bathroom was awesome with an open shower with three showerheads and Jacuzzi tub.

As I began unpacking, I realized I failed to pick up one of our bags from the airport carrousel. (oh, my!!) I called the concierge and they immediately called the airport and had it sent over early the next morning. They took care of all the details; I never had to call the airport for anything. After we unpacked, I asked if we could look at some of the other rooms. We were cheerfully escorted to view 12 other rooms!! We had so much fun peeking into each of the different themed rooms, but I will have to say we hit the jackpot with the Martha’s Vineyard villa…the best as far as I’m concerned.

Anytime we needed a lift, they were happy to take us anywhere. The staff went out of their way meet our every wish.

We rented mopeds and toured the beautiful Ocean Drive stopping occasionally to take in the breathtaking views. The hotel packed a delicious lunch for us for a picnic. I would highly recommend this. We had a ball “mopedding” throughout the city.

We enjoyed touring The Breaker’s and The Marble House mansions. We agreed we preferred the Marble House because it offers audio tour rather than a guided tour. We would of like to have seen more, but just didn’t have time.

My daughter will be studying art in college, so we dropped by the local art supply store and bought paints, brushes, etc. I can still see her sitting at out desk painting away while over-looking the Atlantic Ocean …so surreal…one memory I will never forget. I hope to return one day! (this time with my hubby!)

Room Tip: Absolutely loved the outside villas overlooking the ocean was magical
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family