My partner and I decided on a last minute trip to Newport, RI right before Thanksgiving and stayed at The Chanler at Cliff Walk for three nights. We stayed in the Regency room. The room is indeed very elegant, and the fireplace is a huge plus, especially since it was really cold during those three nights of stay. The staff was very nice, courteous, and helpful. The location was perfect, as it's minutes away by car from the three mansions that were decorated for the Christmas (The Breakers, The Elms, and Marble House). It's also close to the wharf and downtown, where one can visit a variety of boutique shops. We paid an extra $10 per person to our room rate so that we can have breakfast included in our package. I highly recommend this as breakfast for two came out to be an average of $40+ if you were to pay out of your own pocket. We had dinner at Spiced Pear on one of the evenings. I wouldn't say it's our best meal, but it was almost up there with some of the other fine dining that I've had the opportunity to enjoy to date.
To sum it up, overall for us, the pros and cons are:
1. Location - see above.
2. The service - in particular, I would like to recognize three individuals for their "above and beyond" level of service - Paula, who makes you feel at home with her warm smile, and who also brought us the delicious dessert from the restaurant on the first night of our stay. Andrew, who took care of us when we dined at the Spiced Pear. He was particularly patient with our questions regarding the tasting menu. And last, but not least, Dean, one of the valets that helped us park or get our car. He was always cheerful and spirited. His demeanor made you feel at home.
1. The walls of the room are thin. You can hear the plumbing in the other room(s) and because they were doing some renovations work in the room directly above us, we can hear people talking and walking on the patio right above our room in the early morning.
2. The temperature knob for the shower was hard to operate. You had to use a bit more strength than should be necessary to adjust the temperature of the water.
3. The bathroom floor tiles weren't really warming up as much despite turning up the dial to the warmest setting.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A stunning historic mansion hotel located on the famous Cliff Walk in Newport, Rhode Island. Boasting 20 elegant guestrooms, each custom designed around a particular historical period or theme, this luxury hotel allows breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean and Easton’s Beach, setting the mood for a truly relaxing and enjoyable vacation. The award-winning Spiced Pear Restaurant and luxurious in-room spa treatments combine to make this boutique hotel the perfect setting for a romantic retreat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Preferred Hotels, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Chanler at Cliff Walk reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Chanler At Cliff Walk Hotel Newport
- Chanler At Cliff Walk Newport