“Beautiful Location and Experience”

The Chanler at Cliff Walk
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 27 September 2008

We loved The Chanler. A business trip to Providence brought us East and we decided to head to Newport for a few nights before we flew home. As an original east coaster, I have fond memories of Newport summers, but I did not have any idea where to stay. The Chanler is right on the Cliff Walk, perfect for runners and sight seeing. The restoration of this mansion is the most well done we have seen. The owner of the hotel has incredible attention to detail and it shows in every aspect of the hotel. We stayed in the Mediterranian room and loved the view and the furnishings. The staff are all wonderful! The food is terrific and since I'm not a fan of most of the food in Newport, I would recommend eating here often. This hotel is romantic and a truly unique Newport experience.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 September 2008

I just returned from a 5 day stay at The Chanler. here is my review - very disappointing stay on a number of fronts:

The rooms: Over the course of 5 days, I stayed in two different rooms - Greek Revival and French Provincial. Greek Revival room TINY, with minuscule bathroom, and a SHARED balcony with no privacy. French Provincial originally a tiny maid's garret, up 2 steep flights of stairs, no real view of the ocean (do not believe them when they tell you it is a great view, mostly see the highway from narrow windows).

Spiced Pear: Great balcony view of the ocean but the service is NOT professional. It is acceptable for the breakfast service but at dinner it was really terrible. The manager of the hotel (Tim) had told me that the Spiced Pear is "one of the best restaurants in Newport". Don't be fooled by that line of nonsense. The food we received was undercooked (rice was crunchy, vegetables not cooked) -- you can get MUCH better the Clarke Cook House or Bouchard. The service seemed to be a bunch of undertrained college kids. It took them 35 minutes to get us a wine list ("they misplaced it!" according to our server). It became so ridiculous we started laughing about it - we mentioned the poor food quality to one of the servers and she just looked at us. Only bright spot was the hostess - Roberta -- who took great pains to make us happy and comfortable during our breakfasts at the hotel. Note that the breakfasts can be very inconsistent - during the 5 we had there, we ordered the berry pancakes several times - sometimes they were great, sometimes very pedestrian.

Service from Front Desk: When I made my reservation, Christine told me their concierge would call me to help me with dinner reservations. No call ever came. Nor any response when I sent TWO emails to them asking them to help me switch my initial Spiced Pear reservation from Friday to Saturday. Finally I became annoyed and called, spoke to Tim (the hotel manager), who assured me he would call me back that afternoon. He did call me back, and I asked him a) to switch my Spiced Pear reservation from Friday to Saturday, as I had a dinner train reservation for Friday b) confirm that my other restaurant choices were ok. He said my Spiced Pear reservation was confirmed for Saturday at 8:15, and that he had made sure I would have an amazing table. So imagine my surprise when I show up that Saturday at 8, to be told by Roberta (the hostess) that there was no reservation - that it had been for Friday. Made me wonder what the hell was going on? And when I checked out, and told their manager tha I had been disappointed by his mistake, he acted as if the conversation NEVER happened. VERY VERY annoying and not professional for a hotel charging that much.

The grounds: The pictures on the website are deceiving - property much smaller than it appears. It is a lovely location, but if you are expecting a mini estate you will be sadly disappointed.

In the end, I greatly regretted coming to this hotel -- I was expecting professional service such as one would receive at the Mandarin or Ritz Carlton, given the prices they were charging. It was nothing of the kind.

Stayed: August 2008
9  Thank aleemans
Reviewed 2 September 2008

We wanted to stay at the Chanler House for our anniversary but no rooms were available. So instead we visited the Spiced Pear at the Chanler House for dinner on August 26th, our anniversary. As we live out of state, we made reservations weeks ahead and even confirmed them the day before. Yet when we arrived at the restaurant, the hostess could not find our reservation. Turned out that the reservation was put under my husband's first rather than last name. No other patrons were dining at the time so how hard could it be to locate our reservation? After acting as though we were responsible for the mix-up, the hostess attempted to seat us only to be told by the dining room manager that we were early (5 minutes) and could not be seated. We were then directed to sit at the bar and had a rather pretentious and insulting bartender to put up with. When we were finally seated, some twenty minutes past our scheduled reservation, we were very disappointed in the seating selection. My husband had explained that we were celebrating an anniversary and requested a private table. But we were seated on a long bench next to, rather than facing, each other. We did however face an empty table for 5-6. Nothing private or romantic about that! When we asked to move to a more private table, the hostess was less than gracious even though there still were no other patrons. The food was absolutely tasteless and tepid, rather than hot as it should have been. Our server was less than enthusiastic, in fact she was awful. This was hands-down the worst dining experience we have had in thirty years of marriage.We are going to Charleston later this month to celebrate and have a great meal and great service at the Oaks.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
14  Thank travllerHudson_Ohio
Reviewed 23 August 2008

I'm not typically one to gush about hotels, but this one is different. First, it should be mentioned that this hotel is extremely expensive. However, I think it's worth every penny - no detail is too small for them to perfect. I tried to check in early and was told that there would be a slight delay as housekeeping was polishing the brass fixtures in the bathroom. Each room is furnished/decorated in a different period style and this place is the epitome of luxury. If you're looking to splurge for a special occasion, this will be an experience you won't soon forget.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2008

we spent one evening in the room entitled Nantucket.....which had views from the water from your room, your private small deck...and you have access to your private hot tub and sauna in private courtyard...what not to like? well, nature does her part....the sea air, the sound of the ocean...fantastic....the sauna and hot tub fun....
the room, however, pales....the room is SMALL, barely enough room to walk around, large king bed in a small room with two chairs at foot of bed leaving the only way to walk to get to the bathroom is sideways! the gas fireplace gives off sufficient heat but you had better not sit in the chairs in front of the fireplace as you will get too hot!....and you are forced to sit closely as there is no room to move the chairs elsewhere. Only one other chair in room to sit in a corner. The bathroom is large with beautiful tiling reminiscent of Nantucket..there is a skylight which permits LOTS of light and heat...I cannot imagine how warm this bathroom will get in the summer because on a sunny, cool April day the heat from the sun made the bathroom unbearably hot! there is no way to block the light or heat of the sun...the only air conditioning is in the bedroom. We found we were leaving the door open in the room so as not to feel claustrophobic ' We looked at other rooms at the Chanler and many can be on the small side...as with most properties, location, location, location is important! We were on a off-season special which included breakfast and dinner for two. dinner was excellent with sufficient choices; the main menu obviously had more choices but we were satisfied..breakfast was delicious, eggs cooked to order and we found the staff helpful. Would recommend a stay but advise to study the rooms carefully and inquire about the size of the rooms. Also, I believe there are only one or two that are handicap accessible. the Nantucket is at the top of many stairs and all rooms inside the Main House are up at least one flight of stairs and at times two. Inquire when making your reservation, ask about the size of the room (it is important) as all furniture is LARGE....our king size bed was so high my husband even had to use the step stool....and he is not small of stature. my recommendation is to take advantage of their off season specials - it is a special getaway, but it is expensive and not all rooms created equal...we will go again off season and plan to stay within the Chanler....in a larger room..I cannot recommend the Nantucket room

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ontheoad
Reviewed 6 May 2008

Booked through Luxury Link and stayed in the SignatureTudor room. We paid less than half price for a $1295/night room with a 3-course dinner at Spiced Pear restaurant (GREAT!!!!) and 2-mansion tour.
The room was outstanding if you like this sort of thing (and what is not to like?). The staff couldn't do enough for us.
One of the nice features is a ride to and from almost anywhere! Just call and there is a car on its way to pick you up. A real nicety in a city where parking can be quite hard to find.
...and staying in the only hotel located on the cliff walk is truely a treat!
The gas fireplace in the room was a nice touch, and we really needed it this weekend, as it was quite chilly.
There are a few small complaints like...the diverter in the 5-head shower was hard to turn...and it was a very high step into "jetted tub" (that was next to the bed!) But this is really being picky.

The only question is, do you want to spend this kind of money for a room. If so, you can't go wrong here.

• Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank pmauss
Reviewed 8 April 2008

I was looking into taking my wife on a weekend getaway and several people said newport would be a nice place. i figured i'd never been there and, living in southern CT, it would only be 2.5 hour drive. so i looked around at hotels for the weekend.
obviously, lots of bed and breakfasts and inns popped up on the internet.

i had never stayed in one before - and i still don't know if the chanler counts as a traditional bed and breakfast or an inn - but this weekend was the most amazing time i've ever had with my wife.

we stayed in the victorian - at 350 bucks a night. i don't think i could afford this room during in season prices so i'm glad we went in april. the room was totally luxurious and not small (as some of the comments suggest). i am not very inclined to interior designs, but i know this was awesome. the bed was perfect for us. they had a gas fireplace and small flat screen TV's in the bedroom and the bathroom. chandeliers were everwhere. oh yeah, the bathroom was the best part. it had a huge jacuzzi tub which we used a few times a day and a rain shower. i never usually take baths and i even loved it. i watched the final four games in the tub with a glass of champagne. btw, you get to borrow DVD's from the front desk for free. the selection is actually really good.

but the greatest part of the chanler was the breakfast which is included. i had a newport frittata (with crab meat) one morning and the pancakes the next. my wife had the french toast both times. these were the greatest items i've ever eaten in my life - period. btw, it was an actual restaurant with individual tables rather than a real dining table like some B&B's where you eat with other folks. that would be a little weird.
the weather was misty, but the cliff walk is really romantic and good exercise after a nice breakfast. all the mansions were pretty cool to see.
another nice feature of the hotel is that they will drive you into newport in the evening and pick you up in a nice land rover for free. wireless internet and parking is also free.

when you factor in the beautiful room, free amenities and best of all, AWESOME service, 350 bucks is not all that bad considering a crappy room in manhattan that will charge you for flushing the toilet would cost you more.

i can't wait to go back. next time, i will hopefully save some money and go in the middle of the week so we can stay in one of the signature rooms. i peeked inside louis XVI while they were cleaning - it looked amazing with a canopy king bed. i also want to eat dinner at the restaurant next time - they don't have prices on the menu and some comments had said their dinners cost in the hundreds, so we ate out in newport.

if you are looking for a romantic getaway, there is no way any place is better than the chanler.

Stayed: April 2008