“Stunning Property Paired With A Super Attentive Staff”

The Chanler at Cliff Walk
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Newport
New York
“Stunning Property Paired With A Super Attentive Staff”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We booked our room for July 4th weekend. Going in, I knew that there was a lot for this quaint little hotel to live up to. We were paying quite a bit for a standard room and no pool on-site during the month of July.

Upon arriving, we felt like we were the only guests at the hotel. The staff was extremely personable and made us feel like we were the only guests staying there. We stayed in the Victorian room and it had beautiful detail; true to Victorian style. The view had the beach on one side and the front of the hotel on the other. Shades on the windows were excellent for light prevention.

The little unique details in the room really made it shine. A gas fire place, heated tile floors in the bathroom, molton brown products, and a s'more making kit to use downstairs. Voss water was continuously stocked complimentary in the refrigerator and the chocolates from housekeeping were gourmet (new kinds each night).

We woke up to a beautiful view of cliff walk and "first beach". Naturally, we gravitated toward a daily routine of having breakfast at the Spice Pear and a walking cliff-walk.

The front desk always knew what we were doing, but not in an invasive way. They always asked how we liked our activities and took interest. Towels were always provided for the beach. Waters were always provided by staff before we left for the day/night. The valets sometimes had waters waiting in our cars cup holder (so attentive!). The valets are such a great group (very personable and always on time).

An unspoken hero was housekeeping. Our room always felt brand new and clothing was always folded. Not once did we need to request new waters from downstairs, it was always checked and stocked.

There are two small things that I would point out for improvement. The property could seriously use a hammock. Also, I didn't see a presence of security, which might have very well been present (just out of sight). One night we returned late to an empty lobby so I am unsure.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mdlnyc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I have been to many countries and stayed in many hotels, I alway book 4 or 5 star hotels, but nothing has ever compared to this.
I have been meaning to write about this hotel for years, but with two young children it wasn't top of my list of things to do.
However, now I feel I must tell anyone considering staying there, please do !
It is the only hotel I have ever wanted to return to.
The location is wonderful, so close to the beach. The setting is perfect for any occasion including a wedding. The restaurant has fabulous food, the staff are extremely friendly. The rooms are wonderful.
I have never stayed anywhere that could compare to this. I have payed the same amount of money if not more for some of our accommodation.
I stayed there a few years ago but I can't imagine it would have change that much.
If you have already booked this hotel, can I just say you have made the right choice. !!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Annie E
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Reservations: Made by phone; Julie was wonderful and the follow up was great.

Check In: Seamless. We arrived early in the a.m., and our room, of course, was not ready. We were given cups of coffee, our luggage was retrieved from our car, we were encouraged to sit out on the lawn to relax. Very welcoming.

Staff: As others have said, very, very nice. We enjoyed interacting with everyone, and everyone seemed intent on pleasing us.

Room: We had English Trellis, the only room in the mansion with two beds. It truly did have a villa feel to it, with the outdoor hot tub, pretty flowers and masonry, and steps up to our door. The room was very nicely decorated; even the toilet was painted! The bathroom was huge, indoor jacuzzi, and shower with multiple shower heads. We were next to a service area, and it did get a bit noisy at times. Overall, very pleasant.

Common Area: There is a lovely lawn in front of the hotel, set up with chairs and an incredible view of Easton Bay into the Atlantic. We sat there morning, noon, and night. It was breattaking and relaxing at the same time.

Breakfast: We got the breakfast package, and were a little bit disappointed in the offerings. They were not spelled out well (i.e., exactly what does the breakfast include) and the dishes were average.

Valet service: What a treat! A drive into downtown Newport to dinner, and a pickup within minutes of calling. A very, very nice amenity.

Value: Very, very high prices for a Friday night in Newport, but it was a grand experience.

I wish I could give 4 1/2 stars; this is more than a four star property, that is for sure. However, the mediocrity of the breakfast offering and the noise from the service area causes me to knock it a bit down.

However, if we save enough over the next couple of years, we would love to return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank fourfamilytravels
United States
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just got back from a 2-night midweek getaway to the Chanler. It was a truly outstanding experience. I stayed in the Georgian one night and the Block Island villa the 2nd. Originally, I had "settled" for the Georgian because my first choice of room (Block Island) was booked for the first night I would be there. However, it turned out to be very fortuitous as I just loved both rooms. The Georgian is cozy and quaint. It does not have a deck but has great ocean views. The Block Island room is smaller but the space is greatly supplemented with a deck that overlooks the ocean and has plenty of additional furniture (incredible morning light in this room too). For both rooms, there were just so many wonderful touches - heated tiles, smores kits, unique furnishings (you could lose a few hours just looked around the room!).

The hotel itself was wonderful. Perfectly situated at the start of the cliff walk. The mansions and downtown are a bit further but the hotel provides car service and the drivers very cheerfully take you wherever you want to go, even multiple times a day (kudos to Chris for his seemingly endless good-natured driving services). I only ate at the hotel dining room for breakfast but it was just amazing to eat out on the outdoor veranda overlooking the ocean. Food was great too. There is also a lawn area with furniture where you can sit out and enjoy the sun and sea.

The service really sets this place apart. Laura, Hallie, Katie and Stephanie could not have been more welcoming and accommodating with various requests. The room service and housing staff was just wonderful. I ordered a cheese plate to the room at one point and Paula came all the way back to the villa with crackers when I happened to mention I was craving them. When I told her a seagull and swooped in and stole some cheese(I had left the food on the outdoor table when I stepped inside), she then returned AGAIN (unpromoted) with a plate of "make-up" cheese pieces. I could go on but all these touches really add up (I had always considered myself more of a room/view focused person but now I really see what a difference excellent service makes). And beyond what you notice and request, there are no doublt a million things that the hotel staff thinks about proactively that just make the stay that much nicer.

Just a note to solo travelers who may be interested - I was there on my own and could not have had a more comfortable experience. Eating on the veranda was not the least bit awkward - they actually have seats that face away from other guests and face the ocean. Wandering around and sitting outside was also perfect as a solo. This is definitely the place to go for a female (or male) looking to treat herself to quick little getaway to refresh and relax.

Wonderful job Chanler - I look forward to returning soon!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Traveler20132014
Coastal South Carolina
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Just spent 3 evenings at the Chanler. In short everything is just marvelous!!!! The staff is outstanding. Dinner at the restaurant was as good as it can be. Our room was wonderful. The view is spectacular.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
tyngsboro,MA
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This was our fourth stay at this lovely boutique hotel and it was a wonderful as our first!!!!The rooms are fabulous as is the service. The outdoor terrace is a beautiful place to start your day with a beautiful view!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Newburgh, New York
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Recently had a weekend getaway to Newport and was lucky enough to book a room at the Chanler. My husband and I stayed in the Louis XVI room which was beautifully furnished and afforded us a spectacular waterfront view. The grounds are perfectly maintained and the service was exceptional...the staff were welcoming, warm and friendly and always eager to be of service. The hotel provided car service for our trips downtown at any hour. We enjoyed a wonderful lunch on the patio...food was excellent. If I were to mention any disappointment about our stay it is that sadly the dining room was booked and we could not sample the offered dinner items! However the overall experience overshadowed this minor inconvenience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple