“Lovely for drinks”

The Chanler at Cliff Walk
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I haven't really eaten here, apart from some snacks, but I strongly recommend the place. Wonderful atmosphere. Great place to have some wine and other drinks and to just sit with friends looking out over the bay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I've reviewed the Chanler before. It again met all of our expectations. It is a beautiful place to stay, and the staff is delightful. We've had several visits here, and always see the same staff members, which shows that the Chanler is a good place to work.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are lovely and different. We stayed this time in the Victorian Room, which had won...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Donna C
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My wife and I were very excited when we reserved what we thought would be the best hotel in Newport. Newport is certainly a delight. It is well preserved, authentic and lovely place to visit. We, certainly, plan to be back in near future to Newport. Unfortunately, we are not planning to stay at this hotel. The rooms are nicely refurbished and do reflect the flavor that you expect from an authentic boutique hotel. Reception and the porters were also very helpful and accomodating. The restaurant, on the other hand, was not inviting at all. If we were to have fine dining we were not allowed to sit outside; although the weather was marvellous. The outside dining was only allowed for fast food (or bistro type) dining. Therefore, we prefered not to have dinner at the hotel and went to the harbor where we enjoyed a beautiful scenery and reasonably good food in the open air. After returning to the hotel shortly before 11.00 pm, the restaurant was practically closed and we had to struggle to get a coffee. Not good; not what you would expect from an "extremely expensive" hotel by any standards. The morning was an additional dissappoinment. The breakfast did not offer many choices; furthermore, both the service and the quality of the food was mediocre. I think the hotel deserves a management that is well experienced with international service standards. It is a pity since the location is exceptional.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ErdalKaramercan
Reviewed 3 August 2014

There's some real hits and misses at The Chanler, and I suspect nothing will change regardless of how anyone feels.

Ultimately The Chanler wants to be a grand European hotel from a past age - but it simply hasn't achieved it. It feels fake and lacks any grandeur or sophistication. The interior design is fussy and heavy handed.

The rooms are pretending to be something they are not. There may be a few genuine antiques, but there are also plenty stamped with 'Made In China'.

Bang on a wall and you'll soon realise not much is solid wood or concrete, it would be easy to punch your way through to the other side. You can quite easily hear people speaking in other rooms, hear toilets flush, hear the bath water drain away from the room above. You know when
someone is using the whirlpool in another room.

Here's a new one on me - even the bottles of VOS water in the fridge were fake - they were filled with filtered tap water.

The girls on the front desk are excellent - you cannot fault them, as were the guys who ferry guests around in the 'much appreciated' courtesy car. Elsewhere, such as the guys that work behind the bar, they seem far too informal and you can feel like you're invading their space. I was very turned off by their loud banter and over familiarity with local residents plus seeing one of them sneeze directly onto the floor without using their hand or a tissue to cover their face.

The staff at breakfast are competent enough - and the breakfast itself is very good. But a small buffet would have been a big bonus rather than only having the option of ordering one dish from the menu.

What the hotel really lacks is a sitting area. A hotel of this style should have a relaxing space, perhaps a fireplace to laze around. Having a sofa stuck in an alcove in the bar area is not a lounge and looks like an afterthought.

Where the hotel truly excels is the Spiced Pear Restaurant - and that's its real saving grace. I have reviewed that elsewhere….

Is The Chanler worth the money? Absolutely not. Stay elsewhere and go here for dinner.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Serial_Traveller
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We booked our room for July 4th weekend. Going in, I knew that there was a lot for this quaint little hotel to live up to. We were paying quite a bit for a standard room and no pool on-site during the month of July.

Upon arriving, we felt like we were the only guests at the hotel. The staff was extremely personable and made us feel like we were the only guests staying there. We stayed in the Victorian room and it had beautiful detail; true to Victorian style. The view had the beach on one side and the front of the hotel on the other. Shades on the windows were excellent for light prevention.

The little unique details in the room really made it shine. A gas fire place, heated tile floors in the bathroom, molton brown products, and a s'more making kit to use downstairs. Voss water was continuously stocked complimentary in the refrigerator and the chocolates from housekeeping were gourmet (new kinds each night).

We woke up to a beautiful view of cliff walk and "first beach". Naturally, we gravitated toward a daily routine of having breakfast at the Spice Pear and a walking cliff-walk.

The front desk always knew what we were doing, but not in an invasive way. They always asked how we liked our activities and took interest. Towels were always provided for the beach. Waters were always provided by staff before we left for the day/night. The valets sometimes had waters waiting in our cars cup holder (so attentive!). The valets are such a great group (very personable and always on time).

An unspoken hero was housekeeping. Our room always felt brand new and clothing was always folded. Not once did we need to request new waters from downstairs, it was always checked and stocked.

There are two small things that I would point out for improvement. The property could seriously use a hammock. Also, I didn't see a presence of security, which might have very well been present (just out of sight). One night we returned late to an empty lobby so I am unsure.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mdlnyc
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I have been to many countries and stayed in many hotels, I alway book 4 or 5 star hotels, but nothing has ever compared to this.
I have been meaning to write about this hotel for years, but with two young children it wasn't top of my list of things to do.
However, now I feel I must tell anyone considering staying there, please do !
It is the only hotel I have ever wanted to return to.
The location is wonderful, so close to the beach. The setting is perfect for any occasion including a wedding. The restaurant has fabulous food, the staff are extremely friendly. The rooms are wonderful.
I have never stayed anywhere that could compare to this. I have payed the same amount of money if not more for some of our accommodation.
I stayed there a few years ago but I can't imagine it would have change that much.
If you have already booked this hotel, can I just say you have made the right choice. !!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Annie E
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Reservations: Made by phone; Julie was wonderful and the follow up was great.

Check In: Seamless. We arrived early in the a.m., and our room, of course, was not ready. We were given cups of coffee, our luggage was retrieved from our car, we were encouraged to sit out on the lawn to relax. Very welcoming.

Staff: As others have said, very, very nice. We enjoyed interacting with everyone, and everyone seemed intent on pleasing us.

Room: We had English Trellis, the only room in the mansion with two beds. It truly did have a villa feel to it, with the outdoor hot tub, pretty flowers and masonry, and steps up to our door. The room was very nicely decorated; even the toilet was painted! The bathroom was huge, indoor jacuzzi, and shower with multiple shower heads. We were next to a service area, and it did get a bit noisy at times. Overall, very pleasant.

Common Area: There is a lovely lawn in front of the hotel, set up with chairs and an incredible view of Easton Bay into the Atlantic. We sat there morning, noon, and night. It was breattaking and relaxing at the same time.

Breakfast: We got the breakfast package, and were a little bit disappointed in the offerings. They were not spelled out well (i.e., exactly what does the breakfast include) and the dishes were average.

Valet service: What a treat! A drive into downtown Newport to dinner, and a pickup within minutes of calling. A very, very nice amenity.

Value: Very, very high prices for a Friday night in Newport, but it was a grand experience.

I wish I could give 4 1/2 stars; this is more than a four star property, that is for sure. However, the mediocrity of the breakfast offering and the noise from the service area causes me to knock it a bit down.

However, if we save enough over the next couple of years, we would love to return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family