“Birthday weekend at the Chanler”

The Chanler at Cliff Walk
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Newport
philadelphia
“Birthday weekend at the Chanler”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2009

For my husband's birthday weekend, I chose the renaissance suite mainly because it had the best views since we were staying in the winter. The website pictures of the room are very lovely but we were both amazed at just how georgeous the room really is and how breathtakingly beautiful the views are. The room itself is enormous with several sitting areas. And it must be fantastic to book it in the summer because of the large deck attached. The bathroom is a stunner too. Loved the heated tiles and roman bath! The room was immaculately maintained as well. We both thoroughly enjoyed our breakfasts and dinner at the hotel's restaurant. Awesome menu selections! The staff that we met there were all wonderful. A few folks however, stood out in particular, Allison (Front office), Maurice (Bar) and Roberta (dining). Thanks to their professionalism and upbeat attitude this place is an absolute winner! We can hardly wait to return.

• Liked — our room!
  • Disliked — too short of a stay
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LuxGirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Red Bank, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2008

Spent a lovely weekend in an ocean villa. The room and bath were exceptionally well appointed from comfy & elegant canopied bed in front of fireplace to heated tile floors and side-by-side multi-jet shower with whirl pool tub. We enjoyed a very private garden courtyard with hot tub & sauna. We also had a deck with nice ocean view as the beautiful, former gilded -aged mansion is located at the beginning of the cliff walk.
Though the room was not particularly large, the high molded ceilings gave a feeling a spaciousness and no amenity was lacking from the granite wet bar and small refrigerator to a separate vanity and flat screen tvs in bed and bathrooms.
The staff was young but very pleasant, professional and helpful. When we found our hot tub setting to be too hot, they twice brought ice buckets to cool it down to the temperature we desired. Their car service was also a plus.
Overall, we enjoyed a great stay with reasonable off-season rates. We shall return.

• Liked — elegant, comfortable furnishings & very private courtyard hot tub
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aesthetic_sense
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2008

We stayed in the room called Block Island - An entirely beautiful setup with a great view, personal courtyard, private hot tub and personal Sauna. Wow! Folks should stop complaining about the price because you get what you pay for!! The friendly staff makes you feel like family and will take you anywhere you want to go in the brand new Buick. Need an umbrella? Gotta change your flight and use the staff's computer? Oops - unplanned changes?? Five Alarm hangover??? They'll run out and pick up some Aleve for you - no questions!!

A wonderful way to experience Newport, RI - You get the natural beauty, the amenities, and service that exceeds Montage at Laguna Beach.

Two thumbs up!

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Gracefultraveler
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2008

We loved The Chanler. A business trip to Providence brought us East and we decided to head to Newport for a few nights before we flew home. As an original east coaster, I have fond memories of Newport summers, but I did not have any idea where to stay. The Chanler is right on the Cliff Walk, perfect for runners and sight seeing. The restoration of this mansion is the most well done we have seen. The owner of the hotel has incredible attention to detail and it shows in every aspect of the hotel. We stayed in the Mediterranian room and loved the view and the furnishings. The staff are all wonderful! The food is terrific and since I'm not a fan of most of the food in Newport, I would recommend eating here often. This hotel is romantic and a truly unique Newport experience.

• Liked — The mansion itself
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2008

I just returned from a 5 day stay at The Chanler. here is my review - very disappointing stay on a number of fronts:

The rooms: Over the course of 5 days, I stayed in two different rooms - Greek Revival and French Provincial. Greek Revival room TINY, with minuscule bathroom, and a SHARED balcony with no privacy. French Provincial originally a tiny maid's garret, up 2 steep flights of stairs, no real view of the ocean (do not believe them when they tell you it is a great view, mostly see the highway from narrow windows).

Spiced Pear: Great balcony view of the ocean but the service is NOT professional. It is acceptable for the breakfast service but at dinner it was really terrible. The manager of the hotel (Tim) had told me that the Spiced Pear is "one of the best restaurants in Newport". Don't be fooled by that line of nonsense. The food we received was undercooked (rice was crunchy, vegetables not cooked) -- you can get MUCH better the Clarke Cook House or Bouchard. The service seemed to be a bunch of undertrained college kids. It took them 35 minutes to get us a wine list ("they misplaced it!" according to our server). It became so ridiculous we started laughing about it - we mentioned the poor food quality to one of the servers and she just looked at us. Only bright spot was the hostess - Roberta -- who took great pains to make us happy and comfortable during our breakfasts at the hotel. Note that the breakfasts can be very inconsistent - during the 5 we had there, we ordered the berry pancakes several times - sometimes they were great, sometimes very pedestrian.

Service from Front Desk: When I made my reservation, Christine told me their concierge would call me to help me with dinner reservations. No call ever came. Nor any response when I sent TWO emails to them asking them to help me switch my initial Spiced Pear reservation from Friday to Saturday. Finally I became annoyed and called, spoke to Tim (the hotel manager), who assured me he would call me back that afternoon. He did call me back, and I asked him a) to switch my Spiced Pear reservation from Friday to Saturday, as I had a dinner train reservation for Friday b) confirm that my other restaurant choices were ok. He said my Spiced Pear reservation was confirmed for Saturday at 8:15, and that he had made sure I would have an amazing table. So imagine my surprise when I show up that Saturday at 8, to be told by Roberta (the hostess) that there was no reservation - that it had been for Friday. Made me wonder what the hell was going on? And when I checked out, and told their manager tha I had been disappointed by his mistake, he acted as if the conversation NEVER happened. VERY VERY annoying and not professional for a hotel charging that much.

The grounds: The pictures on the website are deceiving - property much smaller than it appears. It is a lovely location, but if you are expecting a mini estate you will be sadly disappointed.

In the end, I greatly regretted coming to this hotel -- I was expecting professional service such as one would receive at the Mandarin or Ritz Carlton, given the prices they were charging. It was nothing of the kind.

Stayed August 2008
9 Thank aleemans
Hudson, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2008

We wanted to stay at the Chanler House for our anniversary but no rooms were available. So instead we visited the Spiced Pear at the Chanler House for dinner on August 26th, our anniversary. As we live out of state, we made reservations weeks ahead and even confirmed them the day before. Yet when we arrived at the restaurant, the hostess could not find our reservation. Turned out that the reservation was put under my husband's first rather than last name. No other patrons were dining at the time so how hard could it be to locate our reservation? After acting as though we were responsible for the mix-up, the hostess attempted to seat us only to be told by the dining room manager that we were early (5 minutes) and could not be seated. We were then directed to sit at the bar and had a rather pretentious and insulting bartender to put up with. When we were finally seated, some twenty minutes past our scheduled reservation, we were very disappointed in the seating selection. My husband had explained that we were celebrating an anniversary and requested a private table. But we were seated on a long bench next to, rather than facing, each other. We did however face an empty table for 5-6. Nothing private or romantic about that! When we asked to move to a more private table, the hostess was less than gracious even though there still were no other patrons. The food was absolutely tasteless and tepid, rather than hot as it should have been. Our server was less than enthusiastic, in fact she was awful. This was hands-down the worst dining experience we have had in thirty years of marriage.We are going to Charleston later this month to celebrate and have a great meal and great service at the Oaks.

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
13 Thank travllerHudson_Ohio
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2008

I'm not typically one to gush about hotels, but this one is different. First, it should be mentioned that this hotel is extremely expensive. However, I think it's worth every penny - no detail is too small for them to perfect. I tried to check in early and was told that there would be a slight delay as housekeeping was polishing the brass fixtures in the bathroom. Each room is furnished/decorated in a different period style and this place is the epitome of luxury. If you're looking to splurge for a special occasion, this will be an experience you won't soon forget.

• Liked — Attention to detail
  • Disliked — (n/a)
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends