“Polar Express Ride Waste Of Money”

Newport & Narragansett Bay Railroad - Dinner Train
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We took the Polar Express ride this past week and I have to say that this was a HUGE disappointment. The amount they charge for this is highway robbery. The cost is $35 for adults and $25 for children, we had 5 adults and 1 child, so that was $200 for a 45 minute ride. What did we get for $200?
1. 1 Cookie Per Person
2. 1 Hot Chocolate Per Person
3. A very cheap toy and bell for the kid
4. 30 seconds tops with Santa

All other food and drink was extra, any other souvenir was extra.

They read the Polar Express which comes over a garbled speaker in the car. There is about 10 minutes total of entertainment where you sing Christmas carols. Also the nice young woman who leads you in the carols doesn't have a microphone so if you are lucky enough to be sitting where she stands you have someone yelling at the top of their lungs next to you, awesome touch. When you finally get to the North Pole you get to see one of the lamest Christmas displays ever! Santa was friendly but he didn't have a lot of time with the kids and made it through our entire car in less than 5 minutes.

We thought this would be a nice time for my son and grandparents to enjoy, but boy were we wrong. If they upped their efforts just a little it would have made a huge difference. Don't get bamboozled into thinking this will be a magical experience for your kids it won't!

1  Thank MREGAN
"rainy day"
"actors"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I failed to check this excursion out before laying out money. Although the guide was kind the trip was a sliw, boring ride past overgrown, tree strangling weeds. Very little time w/ scenic view. Save your money and take a drive.

1  Thank 07016
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Don't waste your money. You could see the Narrascant (sp?) bay better by car.
The tracks all full of brush that is overgrown and blocks the view of the bay. I feel like we saw more shady backyards and dumpsters than we did the bay. I also feel bad for the people on the other side of the bay. Tables are assigned and if you get on the even side, you have very little hope of seeing the bay. If I think it was a waste of money for our view, I am sure the people on the other side of the train are furious!
The food was ok, limited selection. Fish stuffed with crab, ribs (really, on a train?) or chicken with roasted red pepper sauce. The ribs (my hubby had) were ok, slathered in sauce. The chicken, way too spicy! Too much sauce! The salad, lacking salad dressing, had to scrap the bowl for dressing. I wanted to ask for extra dressing, but never saw our server after the salads were dropped. Dessert, don't get me going. Cheesecake and that was it. On our section of the train, of the 14 people, 4 of us turned down cheesecake and no one was offered an alternative. By this time, I was starved. Barely ate my dinner or my salad, I had been looking forward to dessert. No go.
Service was ok, but no one ever checked to see if our food was ok and never commented that my chicken was barely touched and would I like anything else?
If you order a drink, hold onto it. There are points where the train is slightly lopsided and I almost lost my 8.00 glass of wine.
But for $60+ a ticket, not worth it. Make a picnic and find a spot to sit and watch the sunset along the bay, much more enjoyable I would guess.
The plus side, the train itself was nice. The ride, minus the view was nice and romantic.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We were celebrating my spouses birthday, anticipating the advertised romantic birthday dinner on this scenic train ride. We were greeted by a polite young lady, who took our drink order. I was taken aback that the drink menu did not have prices for cordials or their advertised drink specials. The drinks were "priced according to market". The waitress removed the charger plates from the table after she took the drink order (the meal later arrived on the same types of plates, I am doubting that the plates were washed after being on the tables before they were plated with the food, and doubt that we all got our same plates back),. The salad was warm and wilted. When the wine was brought to the table we informed our server that both glasses were dirty, she apolgized and brought the wine back in dirty glasses again. Another server indicated that these are "the old glasses" , and should not be used.. She did take our beverages off the bill. The ribs were tough, and cold and had a film on them in lieu of sauce. The mashed potatoes were form from an ice cream scoop, they were as cold as ice cream but hard, and impossible to eat, the string beans were also cold and did not taste well.. The food would have been horrible even if it had been served hot.The website indicates the food is cooked on the train if it was, he needs a new chef. The windows were dirty, but there was no visible scenary anyway. We were thrilled that the two and a half hour train ride only lasted for 2 hours and 10 minutes. This experience was one of the worst we have ever encountered. Avoid wasting your time and money here.

4  Thank Vicki S
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Went on The Newport Dinner Train with my children for "The Great Train Robbery"; we had a lovely time! My children (8 & 12) enjoyed the show immensely, and my husband and I had a fun time watching as well. The food was delicious (we both ordered ribs, they fell right off the bone, yum) and the staff was friendly and helpful. They even offered my children ice cream sundaes from The Ice Cream Train as a dessert in lieu of the cheesecake, which they were thrilled about. The Bay at sunset was beautiful as well. Would recommend!

1  Thank Barbara L