“NIce spot for the end of the day” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Port Seafood Bar & Grille
Ranked #56 of 232 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: View, Groups, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Full service restaurant and bar with Harbor views and live entertainment on weekends.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“NIce spot for the end of the day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Dropped in here to grab a drink and was pleased to stumble across the happy hour when canapés were at half price! Good place to sit and watch the world go by and to get a flavour of activity on the boats in the harbour.
Service was pleasant and attentive. Good atmosphere with solo guitarist setting up as we drank our cocktails. Good basic menu of appetisers and entrees. Seafood on menu and very popular spot. Would go back again.

Visited July 2014

Boston, Massachusetts
“A NEWPORT HIDDEN GEM”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

To be frank, my family and I came to "The Port Grille" after numerous other restaurants along the Newport waterfront were booked. I hastily made a reservation here because it was the first place that had an opening. I was a bit skeptical, as the restaurant didn't have many reviews, but as I am learning sometimes the restaurants with the least reviews serve the best food. The Port Grille is a testament to just that.

The Port Grille is tricky to find, but once you locate it, you will not be disappointed. If you didn't know it was there, you probably would walk right past it, as the entrance is not in plain sight.
My party and I came on a Saturday night and it was quite crowded. Being a large group, we made reservations for 7:00 and were provided with a prime seat overlooking the harbor. It was Fourth of July weekend, and it just so happened that the fireworks were launched directly across the bay; we could watch the spectacular show right from our table. Above all, the view was my favorite aspect of "Port Grille".

Aside from the sights, the food was delicious and our server prompt. There was never a glass that went unfilled or a question that went unanswered. Try the appetizers - the calamari is great, but the mussels are even better. The coconut shrimp is another personal favorite from the appetizer menu, and if I were to revisit I would surely order it again. As for dinner entrees, there were really no complaints. The mahi-mahi was bland (it tasted more like grilled chicken), so if you like spicy ask to have it blackened. Also, the green beans, which came with most of our meals, tasted like they came from my elementary school's cafeteria rather than from a Newport restaurant. Ask for a side substitute. The scallop dish is out of this world. To end the night, we finished with dessert. Key lime pie is a refreshing way to cool off from a hazy Newport night.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank AustintoBoston
Saint Peters
“Amazing view and "outdoor" seating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

First - We stumbled on to this restaurant looking for a place to enjoy a cocktail on last night of a week long trip. The bar tending was friendly and spot on. The bartender even created a requested drink for us. We normally vacation in the Keys - and this place captured some of that feel.

Second - Most everywhere in the restaurant is good for enjoying the sea and sunset. Spectacular.

Third - we ended up staying all evening. My feeling about the food may be obscured by several Rum Rummers (which were outstanding - on the rocks). But the Clam Chowder was really good. I enjoyed the chicken wings. The rest of my group liked their meals. OK - I realize that isn't very convincing on the food - but I had such a great time and the atmosphere is so perfect for the summer - I will take any decent food.

I may plan a trip back to Newport simply to "play" here again. Everybody in my group had a great time including my senior age parent and my 4 young teen nieces and nephews.

• Visited June 2014
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Fresh seafood and great entertainment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We found ourselves in Newport for an impromptu day-cation and after wandering around the shops for a while we had worked up an appetite. The Port isn't the easiest place to find, but finding it is worth it. We stumbled upon it as we were walking and were instantly drawn to it because we could hear someone playing guitar. We were seated over looking the water, basking in the good weather. Great drinks, fresh seafood and live entertainment with a view that you just can't beat. We had a crab cake appetizer that melted in your mouth and then we each had a lobster dish. Everything was delicious and the wait staff was helpful and friendly. I'd go back next time I'm down that way, for sure.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Alyssa K
Boston, MA
“yuckaroo”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

If you enjoy stale bread and microwavable food than by all means eat there. I, on the other hand hate spending $70 unauthentic food.

Visited June 2014