“Not as Historic as Expected”

Amazing Grace Harbor Tours
New Orleans
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Not as Historic as Expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Having been on 2 truly historic harbor tours in Portsmouth & Boston this one is not really historic. The history very concentrate on is the gilded Age & the fine mansions on the waterfront. For all that its reasonable interesting. I'm the boat tour fiend so I enjoyed it. My husband much less so because he wanted more "history". I can't compare to other Newport harbor tours, We were there on a very busy Sunday in August. I/m sure a less busy time is a better experience. But it does tour the harbor & mansions.

1 Thank Traflagar

Fairfield,Connecticut
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Opportunity to see and learn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We visited Newport September 2013, Labor Day weekend and following week. Looking for a sailing experience for the family including a 89 year old in a wheelchair. Day was overcast and threatened rain so we decided to reserve space on the Amazing Grace because of the covered lower deck (not my first choice for a sailing experience)! I was wonderfully surprised. The speaker for the guided tour was chock full of information especially about all the boats in the harbor, their class and their history, as well as the history of the area and other harbor sights. A nice bonus was the cash bar for drinks and snacks. ( We packed some PF Goldfish) but ordered a few 'Dark and Stormy' drinks (seemed appropriate) and some beers during the sail. It was a really nice and would recommend to anyone with similar circumstances or to learn about the harbor and area history.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Deejala
Franklin, Tennessee
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Start your trip with this cruise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

We took the 6pm cruise on a Friday night with only a dozen others. It was wonderful. Sit starboard, upstairs for great views of the sites. The captain and tour guide were great. Very knowledgeable. It was a great overview of Newport with wonderful history thrown in. We later visited some of the landmarks the tour guide pointed out on the cruise. Would have not known about them otherwise. I highly recommend this! Very reasonably priced.

1 Thank Marissa52
Maryland
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“An informative sightseeing tour”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

My husband and I took our two teenage boys after I purchased their Groupon online. The captain was very friendly and the narrator was very knowledgeable. We went on the sunset tour and it was great to see the island during the sunset. However, we had to strain to hear the narrator after asking him to turn up the volume, and my younger son (13), and by the looks of it, a couple other kids around his age, did get bored after a little while. Overall, it was a good experience and most of my group enjoyed it.

1 Thank CostaRicaMaryland
Baltimore, Maryland
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Been on better - but great value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Tips:
- Get a local Newport advertisement map first, $2 coupon inside. The full price is $18.
- Free seating, arrive 15 mins early. For best views: upper deck, starboard.
- Go for the noon tour - lunch time = smaller crowd on tour, 1 hr parking validation before 3pm, more shaded seats since the sun is directly overhead, easier to find parking in the lot (got off the tour at 1pm and the lot was packed).

The Good:
- Value is great for the tour, got to see the harbor and some waterfront houses/mansions.
- A guided tour, can ask questions, good speakers - loud and clear.
- Good location: since you'll be paying for parking anyway (see below), use the extra time to walk around the pier, a lot of unique shops and restaurants.

The Bad:
- Have to pay for parking, validated for the 1st hour (the length of the tour) before 3pm, but you'll run over the 1 hr since you'll have to get in/out. Additional $2.50 / half hr.
- NOT picture friendly - had to remain seated, most views are on the starboard side so if you get a bad seat you'll be capturing more people than the scenes.
- A bit pushy on tipping - mentioned it by 2 different employee on 3 occasions, just once is enough; we can all see the tip basket when we get off.

Visited July 2013