“Better than average hotel restaurant”
Review of MainSail

MainSail
Ranked #74 of 249 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Visit Mainsail for a contemporary American menu of local New England dishes made from the freshest ingredients. When you're looking to connect or unplug, head to Plank Bar for a relaxed social experience, tantalizing appetizers and well-crafted drinks. The Skiff Bar offers the best view in Newport along with specialty cocktails, craft and local brews and delicious appetizers
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We were staying at the Wyndham Long Wharf Resort and ate here at the recommendation of the Wyndham, which has an arrangement with Fathoms for a BOGO offer on entrees for Wyndham guests. I had the filet mignon and my husband had the scrod. My filet was cooked perfectly, and my husband said his fish was excellent as well. Service was excellent. The view of the marina is lovely on clear spring day.

If you are a Wyndham guest using the BOGO offer, one thing you should be aware of is that the restaurant automatically adds a gratuity to your check based on the cost of both entrees. That's how we normally tip (why should the server lose out because we're using a discount), but it seemed to cause some heartburn for more, um, frugal diners from the resort.

1  Thank Carol757

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Restaurant is more modern than my taste but as we couldn't afford a Newport restaurant with a view we ate here while staying in the hotel. The fish & chips is wonderful so is the view. I was able to take my liqueur coffee up to my room afterwards. The service was terrific if slow I think they were short staffed, the manager served us & she was wonderful. We'd all eat the fish & chips again. You can't beat the view either.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

OK, the meal (lobster) was superb. We're still trying to find out, though, whether one of the mussels was the culprit in my wife's illness over the next two days. Stuff happens, though.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We ate dinner and then breakfast at Fathoms in the Marriott. For dinner, the place was almost empty. The service was very slow for ordering drinks, dinner etc. the food was o.k. For breakfast, the service was quick, and the food was good.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

We had breakfast and dinner here. The view overlooking the marina is lovely. A downside is that the dining room chairs have very hard seat cushions. If you have breakfast here, opt for a selection that includes coffee and juice, as they charge $3 for each.

They feature a "two for one entree" at dinner on Tuesday and Wednesday, but the entree selection for this deal was very limited, so we ordered from the regular menu. I had shrimp, which was good, my companion had steak, which was okay. The entrees were $23+ Desserts $7. Wine was $7-14 by the glass.

Been to MainSail? Share your experiences!