“Best Italian in Newport”

Mamma Luisa Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Eight of us dined here at 5 pm, which is when they open, before the Italian aria opera concert that closes the Festa Italiana week each Columbus weekend. As always, the food and service were extraordinary. This gem is at the less traveled end of Thames Street, and it is a Newport treasure. Try the penne del pastore!

1  Thank jop2map

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Everything about this place is excellent. It's in an old building along Thames street, a good walk from the main part of town, maybe 15 minutes. It is small with tables closely spaced, but fairly quiet if it's not crowded. Overall, it was very comfortable.

The food was outstanding, the best Italian we have had in years. We started with caprese bruchetta, which was great, but I wish we had ordered the regular caprese salad so I could have had more tomatoes and mozarella and less toast (which was good, but the bread they served was enough). My wife had veal scallopini (Picatini di Vitello). The veal was very tender and the artichokes, capers and lemon provided a fantastic flavor. Zucchini was served on the side. Don't know what they did to it but it was cooked perfectly, not the usual soggy pieces many places serve. I had the daily special pasta. It was a penne with an unbelievably delicious meatless sauce. I wanted to lick the plate. We also had a side of sauted spinach, more than enough for two people.

We split a fruit tarte. Just right after a pretty heavy meal.

The wine list is extensive, almost all Italian. The waiter recommended an Amarone called Palazzo della Torre at $45.00.

Afterward, we had a very pleasant evening walk back to the B&B.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Found this place on this site while on a golf outing with a group of 12 guys.
We called the day before, Mon. and was able to get a reservation for our group the next evening (off season). In fact we got our own private dining room upstairs. The room felt like we were in an Italian villa. Service was excellent and so was the food. All of us enjoyed our experience there. If our group goes back to this area we will certainly try Mamma Luisa's again.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I was looking for new restaurants to try in Newport, RI and this one came highly recommended both from word of mouth and this site so I decided to make a reservation for the last Friday in September. I left a voice mail at 8:15am with details on time and number of guests. At 1pm I received a return call that the restaurant would be able to accommodate the request but that I needed to provide them with a credit card to guarantee the reservation. Having never in my life been asked to provide a cc guarantee I asked if my boyfriend could call back with the information. The man on the phone said yes he could. I was stalling because I wanted to ask my boyfriend if this seemed legitimate before I provide someone with my cc information over the phone. My boyfriend (who lives in Newport) said that he would just run over to the restaurant. The total time this transpired was less than an hour. When he arrived he was told that there was no reservation for us and they now had no availability. I called back and asked how I don't have a reservation when I called at 8am and obviously was interested in eating there. Long story short they accommodated me.

Now for the food. We ordered an appetizer of Fava Bean Bruschette to start with. While it was tasty it was not worth $10 for 2 slices of bread. That is strictly our opinion. For an entree I had the Garganelli Boscaiola. It was evident that the pasta was homemade and fresh. I didn't finish the entire meal but I was also trying to save some room for dessert (Tiramisu). Our waitress was very attentive and helpful. She would give lessons on what the Italian words meant on the menu. She also would give some history on the origination of the words. Definitely a bright spot during our meal.

To recap: The food and ambiance are nice. Is this restaurant worth a credit card guarantee of $25.00/pp in the event you have to cancel or are a no show? It is not. I have had far better food at other restaurants. Is this restaurant worth the headache involved in trying to get a reservation? It is not. Would I return? Debatable. There are other restaurants that I would prefer to try before I give Mamma Luisa's my business again.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Had dinner here recently. Food & service were all very good. The restaurant was busy on a quiet Tuesday night in Newport, after dining here, I understand why.

We would return here on our next visit to Newport.