“The Egg Incident”

Ranked #3 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“The Egg Incident”
Reviewed 6 August 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Beach Tree Inn with another couple for the weekend. We were greeted by the male host (I apologize – I can’t remember his name), who was friendly and helpful. Our room (303) was extremely clean and comfortable. The Jacuzzi in the bathroom was very large, but unfortunately, that does take away quite a bit of space from the bathroom. On the third floor, there is a community kitchen area, which is great if you want to store food, drinks, etc. in the refrigerator.

One downfall of the B&B is the location. They’re a bit far from the downtown area. The last Newport B&B we stayed in was much closer to the harbor area, which we preferred.

And then there is what has now been affectionately named the “egg incident.” During our first morning at the inn, my husband and I walked down to breakfast. The dining area was full, so we had to wait. We’ve stayed at several B&B’s and never had to wait to be seated for breakfast, but we were still waiting for our friends, so it wasn’t much of an issue. After waiting a while for a table, we decided to sit at their outside dining area. When I asked the waitress for tea, she said she couldn’t bring it to me. Instead, I had to get it myself inside. Okay, not a huge deal, but I still wouldn’t label this as “excellent service.” They offer several different options for breakfast. As we ordered our meals, the men in our group each asked for an egg with their French toast. The waitress said the kitchen wouldn’t do that. They either had to order French toast or an egg – not both. When a patron is spending $350 a night to stay at your B&B, I don’t think an egg is an unreasonable request. After waiting quite a while for breakfast, the waitress brought out two plates, but immediately took back the one, saying it was the wrong order. After a couple of minutes, they then took the second plate off of our table because it was someone else’s breakfast. I wouldn’t be too happy to find out my breakfast had sat in front of another customer for a few minutes before it was brought to me. After a little while, they brought out two plates again for our friends. They were about halfway through their meals when mine and my husband’s arrived. However, they forgot our home fries and had to bring them out separately. The meals were an average size, but the inn boasts serving “Newport’s biggest breakfast.” Maybe they were serving smaller portions because it was a busy weekend. Maybe there was an egg shortage. I don’t know. Fortunately, breakfast the next morning wasn’t as painful, but we still couldn’t get an extra egg with our average-sized meals.

Anyway, we love Newport and will definitely be back, but probably won’t stay at the Beech Tree Inn again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
New Jersey
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Just what I want from a B&B. The place is immaculately clean, the room was fine, the bed comfortable, the breakfast fresh off the grill.

Also the host was as helpfull as can be and very freindly.

Overall a great B&B

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JohnL10
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Loved it with my family! Rates for room with jacuzzi were a bit high but it is really worth it! Good breakfast!!! Great people! Very Nice service!!! Will be coming back again!!!

Room Tip: Book in advance cause of limited number of rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Yuri L
Reviewed 14 June 2012 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights at this lovely B&B. Room was extremely spacious and hosts were very helpful. Breakfast was pretty much all you can eat but made to order - we'd made an early start one morning and completed the Cliff Walk so were extremely pleased to be fed with such a tasty breakfast upon our return. It's in a quiet area of the town and about 15 mins walk from the centre of Newport. If we were ever in the area again, we wouldn't hesitate to stay and would definitely recommend.

We're a couple in our late 20's/early 30's without children.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Rachael P
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

Took a spontaneous weekend road trip with the wife and dog and needed a last-minute place to stay. Beech Tree came through, let us arrive late, very welcoming to our dog and even gave us a discount! Room was comfy and well-maintained. The dog-friendly room is on the second floor on the front side of the main house.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank whrbie2001
Astoria, New York
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Very cute place with friendly proprietors. Rooms are clean and spacious (especially if you manage to get the suite with the sitting room, which Jeff was nice enough to upgrade us to) and the breakfast was delicious. I stayed here twice - the first time one couple in our party had an infant with them, and everyone were very accomodating. Both times we had a pretty late arrival time and Jeff was very nice about it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank abcd61
Boston
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed in room 302 in the cottage. Were greeted with a warm welcome and helpful info. The room was cozy, clean, and romantic- very homey. Shower was roomier than anticipated. Breakfast was wonderful! Wish we stayed more than one evening - would go back in a heart beat. Decided to take a cab downtown for dinner, which cost about $6 one way plus tip. Prevented us from having to have a designated driver. Would be fine to walk downtown if I wasn't wearing heels.

Room Tip: We stayed in the cottage, which was in the back and thus likely quieter than the main house; though...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple