“Vibrant, innovative, treat for the palate”
Review of Stoneacre Pantry

Stoneacre Pantry
Reserve with OpenTable
Stoneacre Pantry is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 239 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$12 - US$48
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Greetings From Stoneacre Pantry, It is with great excitement that we share news of Stoneacre Pantry closing its doors at 515 Thames St on January 1, 2017 and reopening in the summer of 2017, in Historic Washington Sq. We would like to thank all of our supporters and friends for the past 3 years of patronage and would like to offer a big Happy New Year to all of you. Please stay tuned for further details about Stoneacre and all other happenings. Thank You Again, we look forward to a big new year! In other news we will be opening La Vasca, at 515 Thames St in Newport, mid January. La Vasca is Basque style wine bar (beer and wine) offering Pintxos, Tapas, hot and cold appetizers and a selection of entrees including Paella, whole roasted fish and beef. We will follow the same sourcing and sustainability practices we have focused on at Stoneacre. As always we will be accommodating to guest restrictions, allergies and dislikes to the best of our ability. La Vasca will take limited reservations.
Rolling Hills Estates, California
“Vibrant, innovative, treat for the palate”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I love the casual "vibe" of this little restaurant and the enthusiasm of its waitstaff. Everyone we encountered was warm and energized by the quality of food produced by its kitchen. Waitstaff was very helpful in discussing the menu and making suggestions. We had a frizze salad and pea soup for starters. Dull, you say? Never! This chef made each an experience. In addition, the chef sent out two little amuse bouche of cod fritters which were top shelf. Entrees were nettle polenta and lamb croquettes which were excellent. Dessert of rhubarb crumble with a mint ice cream was divine. The background music added a lot to the experience--not overpowering, just light and enthusiastic as the staff. Great evening.

1 Thank bonniemreeves

Jamestown RI
“WOW Cocktails and Cuisine in a casually cool room”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Chef David and partners have created a refreshing take on dining in this rustic meets sophisticated restaurant. I love the brunch menu. The cocktail menu is amazing. Dinner will never disappoint. I have been on many occasions have had great service and a delicious meal. Great vibe!

1 Thank nataliesowa
“Refreshingly casual”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My wife and I were commandeered to provide livery to the High School Prom hence we needed to enjoy Newport for a several hours. Our usual choice, this site's top choice in Newport, is closed Tuesdays. Tripadvisor came through as usual. At the advise of your avid reviewers we reserved a table at the Stoneacre Pantry. We were rewarded.

On a misty, cool, and foggy evening the venue was warm, friendly and decidedly casual. Not crowded but busy. The bar patrons appeared to be a few regulars with a few of eclectic walk-ins. We noted the fellow tending the bar was attentive to everyone. The place is amply described by others and the restaurant's web site tells their story. The commitment to local and fresh welcome. We are not food sophisticates but we can tell when the food is a cut above and truly delicious.

2 Thank Charles T
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Quality ingredients and okay service”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I ate here around 6pm on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. We were lucky enough to stumble on free street parking, but there are parking lots nearby ranging from $10-$20. The place was busy, mostly with an older crowd. We were able to get a table without reservations.
The menu is small, and there were limited options for vegetarians/vegans, which is surprising since it is a farm to table place. I ended up ordering two sides- hen of the woods mushrooms and beans & arugula instead of the entree since I don't eat meat. The mushrooms were delish but the beans were pretty bland. My husband loved his lamb dish. We also had the cheese plate, which was good. One of the cheeses was too stinky even for my husband to eat. The other two cheeses were fantastic. The cocktails and desserts were also outstanding. The craft beer options are limited, which is why my husband opted for cocktails. The service was friendly, but they seemed to be overwhelmed and shorthanded. It got pretty busy by the time we left, so a making a reservation would probably be wise.
Overall it was a decent meal, but it could have been better.

1 Thank NYC_angus
New England
“Inspired Chef, Excellent Staff, Great Location = Extraordinary!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

What can I say except that I want to go back - NOW!! Modern, inspired, tasteful, skilled, comfortable, warm - these adjectives apply, as they fit, to the interior, the staff, the food. We were very impressed with every dish, as well as the cocktails. All of our dishes were highlights, nothing disappointed. The seasoning that Chef used, on every dish, was very impressive - for instance, I ordered the roasted beets with goat cheese and spinach. Sounds pretty pedestrian these days, pretty standard - au contraire! This dish popped off the plate, beautifully seasoned with I don't know what herbs, it was fabulous. The hake with carrot puree and fiddleheads was exceptional, perfectly cooked, beautifully moist, gorgeous seasonings. The pea soup with lobster was inspired - not only was the flavor of the English peas pleasurably intense, but the lobster was expertly cooked - often, seafood in soup or in pasta, turns out tough and overcooked due to the heat of the surrounding element overcooking the seafood - not so here - the lobster was exactly right - the claw meat, whole, was perfectly tender and moist. A whimsical amuse bouche of a small bowl of popcorn was stunningly flavored with rosemary and fennel pollen.

The desserts were also fabulous - we loved the rhubarb crumble and also the elderflower panna cotta. I personally would have cooked the rhubarb longer, but I understand that the chef was going for a more fresh firm texture, which was conveyed. The candied kumquats were delightful as was the mint ice cream.

Visited May 2014