“Wanted to kiss the Chef!”

The White Horse Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Horse Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$15 - US$39
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar, Grill
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Farewell St
Transit: The White Horse Tavern is a quarter mile up Marlborough Street from the Newport Gateway and Visitors Center.
Description: At The White Horse Tavern we strive to create a fresh, contemporary culinary experience in a historic tavern atmosphere. Like generations before us, we serve the freshest fish, clams and lobsters from Narragansett Bay along with just-picked produce from local Rhode Island's farms. We embrace RI's vibrant food scene to bring you the very best artisan cheeses, honeys, prime cuts of beef and local fish right off the boat - all in a Colonial tavern that's been serving America for over 350 years. So join us for a taste of 21st century Rhode Island in our 17th century White Horse. You won't be disappointed!
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Excellent, Excellent!! The atmosphere was great. I almost felt like I was back in time. Service was top notch and food was unbelievable. My husband ordered a lobster dish that was to die for. I had a 45 day aged Rib Eye that was cooked to perfection. Excellent wine and dessert too! A little pricey, but honestly not for this meal. I would rather pay a few bucks more for an exceptional meal. Location was ok. They had their own parking lot, which for us was fine, however I can see in prime season, would fill up fast. If the Chef wasn't so busy, I would have kissed him.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

It was our second visit to White Horse and it was just as impressive as the first! A classic New England style tavern with candlelights and a functional fireplace. Staff is friendly and attentive but not overbearing. Wine list was lovely and I will dream about there lobster Mac and cheese until I return! Yum!!

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We dined at the White Horse on May 20, 2014. Our Hotel (Mill Street Inn)has a deal with the White Horse called the History Package. The package comes with a $100 gift certificate, which covered most of our meal with wine. My wife and I both had the NY steak, which was very good. The Service and staff was excellent. By the way the White Horse is on the list of one of the TEN Oldest restaurants in the world.........

Alyssa H, General Manager at The White Horse Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank you for coming in!

We are glad to see that you were able to enjoy one of the Mill Street Inn's History Package.

I hope that you think of us both again next time you are in town.

Cheers!
Alyssa

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Visited Newport ri for the first time on a road trip from Fairfield ct after a stay at the exceptionally good winvian in Morris ct so was looking for a pleasant gastropub type experience. The white horse seemed to fit that bill and the reviews promised much. Early impressions are good, the building is quaint and the little bar pleasant. You would almost consider eating on the strength of these impressions. Which we did. Regretfully. And early, perhaps a mistake but not an excuse for freezer burned butter which tasted weeks old served with the bread followed by microwaved unseasoned mushrooms and poor chowder. Entrees of lobster just ok and rib eye, marginally overcooked and without flavor left us utterly under awed. Lisa the server was nice. Grossly over priced and massively below expectations. Most of the customers were nice old ladies whose palates had expired during the war.

2  Thank les W

Thank you for offering your experience in such detail. Our chef has been able to take this feedback and utilize it to better the guest experience.

I do hope that you would consider coming in next time that you are in town, as we would love an opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Best,
Alyssa Howell

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I have been visiting Newport R.I. With my fiancee for the last 7 years and have always wanted to visit the White Horse Tavern but have never got around to doing it.
This year however my fiancee booked in advance as a late birthday present for me. We arrived late afternoon for our meal and I cannot thank the chefs and staff enough, for what turned out to be a fabulous dining experience.
We have also decided that this will now be a yearly event when we visit Newport.

Been to The White Horse Tavern? Share your experiences!