“dreadfull experience, full of lies and scams”

Wyndham Long Wharf Resort
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wrentham, Massachusetts
“dreadfull experience, full of lies and scams”
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I booked a three bedroom suite back in June and prepaid for it. I was NEVER told that it was a time share nor was I told that there was a possiblilty that the room would not be available. I called in Sept to reconfirm my reservation and was told that I was all set.
In Oct, 1 night prior to my checking in, I got a call telling me that the suite wasn't available due to "the owners" having priority. I paid $800 for two nights and was told that I was being moved to a Residence Inn 5+ miles from downtown Newport and to a facility who's rooms were about 1/2 the price I paid. Needless to say I was livid and disappointed that my trip with 3 others was completely ruined after months of planning, I will NEVER recommend this organization to anyone and will try my best to bad mouth them every chance I get.

Room Tip: Don't ever stay here.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
16 Thank chris z

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Blairsville, Georgia
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We rented a condo at this resort from VacationRentals.com. We rented a specific property and dealt with the owner of that property, not with the resort. I assumed the photos we saw on the web site were the photos of the specific condo we were renting. It was described as having a balcony with a view of the harbor. When we arrived we discovered the property was a two-floor townhouse (the website had said nothing about a two-storied condo) and told that the condo we were renting did not belong to the owner from whom I'd rented, but rather condos were assigned by the resort on a first-come, first-served basis (depending on when you rent them, not when you arrive). The two friends who were with me both have bad knees so the stairs were a problem, but because we had arrived so late in the evening and were very tired after a long travel day, we decided to make do. Another disappointment was our "view," which actually was of an alley and a neighboring building with a brick wall. As a result the condo was very dark -- the lights had to be on during the day as well as at night, and the lighting was less than adequate -- no wall switches worked in the living room or bedrooms. The condo was clean and the beds were comfortable, and the location very good, but that's about all I can say that's positive. We had talked for months beforehand about looking forward to sitting on the balcony overlooking the harbor with cocktails in hand -- what a terrible disappointment! Also one morning one of the cleaning personnel walked in unannounced and without knocking.

Room Tip: I would suggest a different hotel in Newport. I'm not sure you could ever be assured of getting...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank EliseF35

Travellers are raving about these Newport hotels

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We called 3 days before to confirm our 3 bedroom suite and everything was confirmed and well. When we got there they canceled our room due to over booking and relocated us to a different hotel. They did not call or e-mail us any of this information. They also told us they did not have 3 individual rooms to give us that they were all booked and everyone was checked mind you this was 10 a.m. in the morning so apparently everyone got there before us. The other hotel was about a 15 minute drive away in Middletown RI not even in Newport. The hotel they put us in was a Marriot hotel but what really upset me was the Marriot in Newport neighboring them had available rooms why not put us there versus the Marriot in Middletown in location we did not want to stay (because the Middletown room rates are cheaper). After numerous phone calls bettween Wyndham and Extra Holidays (there booking company because "Wyndham does not do there own booking") They transfered us into the Marriot in Newport, it ruined half my day and was very aggreviating I had to fight, fight, and fight for us to stay in the Newport were we were suppose to stay in the first place.

Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank frank c
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We had some serious concerns over the reservation process for our stay at the Wyndham Long Wharf in Newport. We were traveling two guests who used wheelchairs (one of which who cannot walk). This was indicated on our reservation and I called three times prior to our arrival to try to get a confirmation that we would be assigned a wheelchair-accessible (ADA) room. Unfortunately when we arrived, none was available. The staff was quite helpful and tried to make it work but in the end, the room was not appropriate and in fact, dangerous for someone with limited mobility. My 21-year old son could not use the bathroom alone as the toilet was too short (and there were no grab bars). I am sure you can understand how this loss of independence is difficult for a 21-year old. In addition, he could not get into either of the two bedrooms due to the size of the doors (or placement of the furniture). He was able to sleep on the pull-out couch. Why is it not possible to reserve an accessible room in advance. Had we known for sure, we would have booked elsewhere. As a result, it was not a good experience for us at what seemed to be a nice hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Rthurley
MA
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Read many mixed reviews about the Wyndam Long Wharf Resort, but decided to stay a week after finding a reasonable deal on Craigslist by a timeshare owner. The room worked out to less than $225/nt and we couldn't have been more pleased with everything. We're a young family of 5 on a budget, and were looking for a kid-friendly area to walk and explore. We arrived early and were able to check in around 2pm into one of the newly renovated 2BR townhouses. Having a nice room really set us up for a wonderful stay (we were in room # 205). We had a semi-private balcony with a beautiful view of the harbor, washer/dryer, fully equipped kitchen, 2 full baths (one w/ a jet tub), large BR w/ king bed and smaller 2nd BR with 2 twin beds. Each BR had it's own flat screen TV and we were able to connect to their wifi, no problem. Our townhouse had 2 levels, and everything was clean, orderly, and in good working condition. Although we weren't directly connected to the main building with all the resort activities, it was a short stroll across the parking lot to the outdoor grills, swimming pools/hot tubs, new fitness center, and mini-movie theater (w/ free popcorn). Overall, we enjoyed the amenities and location of the resort. It was quiet, yet close enough to walk to all the lively activities downtown on Thames St. Loved being able to walk with the kids in their stroller to shops, eateries (incl. chains like Panera & Starbucks), shipyards/docks, through historic neighborhoods, and top observation deck across the street at the Inn at Long Wharf. Our stay at the Wyndam Long Wharf Resort made for a great family vacation. I gave it 4 stars, instead of 5, because there was only one couch (sleep sofa) in the living room for the 5 of us to sit on (which caused descension among the kids at night), not much cabinet storage for non-perishable groceries in the kitchen, and the resort's "game room" was a small (approx. 11x12) size room with 2-3 video arcade games tucked away discretely in a corner of the main building (near the resort convenience store) - not worth mentioning among their amenities. Also, we had our 'do not disturb' sign on the doorknob during the morning when housekeeping was doing their rounds for the "refresher" that's included in the weekly stay (fresh towels, trash, etc.), but they did not return to tidy-up/refresh our room even after we took off the sign that day at 12 noon and saw them tidying up other rooms nearby. However, it was not a problem for us because we could wash our towels/linens in the in-room washer/dryer, and, upon our request later that evening, the front desk immediately sent staff to our room to collect any trash and give us more TP, etc. Will definitely return!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank MaTravelingMom
otgwk
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed at the Wyndham Long Wharf (not to be confused with the Wyndham Inn on Long Wharf, just across the street). We had room 230 in the Harbour House building. This was a nice 2 bedroom unit with a king master bedroom and two full bed second bedroom. There were 2 full bathrooms. The unit was very nice, fairly new furnishings (see pictures), full appliances and kitchen (pots, dishes, utensils). We also had a small washer/dryer in the unit with supplied detergent. The unit was fairly clean when we arrived, my only complaint would be that the floors did not seem to have ever seen a mop. Overall, we were very happy with our unit and the great location. This location is right on Long Wharf, with fisherman coming in right across the street. We got some fresh lobster and cooked them in our room. You have to expect some smell of fish and wharf given the location. We only used the pool once, it was very crowded and it seemed difficult to keep clean and clear. We didn't really try to take part in any of the resort activities, we made our own agenda ( mansions, tennis hall of fame, catamaran ride, brewery, beach, shopping etc.). This location was great for walking in Newport. If you are not big walkers the visitor center is right next door and you can pick up the trolley ( don't know what that costs, as we mostly walked). Our girls did borrow a couple games that were in good condition. People did leave a lot of garbage in the hallways. Calling for anything (towels, soaps, TP, etc.) always required at LEAST 2 calls sometimes more.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank otgwk
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The Wyndham Long Wharf is, perhaps, one of the gnarliest places at which I have ever stayed. I've stayed at Days Inns that are way, way nicer than this place. The pictures on its Web site don't capture the fact that the place is run-down, there are large open trash containers sitting in the open on one side of the premises and it smells like rotten fish both inside and outside. We had a two bedroom unit which was dingy and beaten-up. The bed sheets in our room were kinda gray, and the bed spreads and blankets were those polyester type covers that you don't even want to touch with your bare hands. They don't provide daily maid service - we were told that we needed so stay for three nights before they would clean our room. To top it off, the window "shade" in our room was like a thin piece of paper - when the sun came up at around 6:00 a.m., we simply couldn't sleep anymore because the shade did nothing to block the outside light. We had to pre-pay for three nights over the weekend of the Newport Folk Festival; in spite of that, we couldn't take staying there the third night, checked out and stayed at another hotel on Sunday night of that weekend while paying for our Wyndham room. Avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family