“Comfortable, family-friendly timeshare vacation condo resort”

Wyndham Long Wharf Resort
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Wyndham Long Wharf resort is a Timeshare Vacation Condo Resort located adjacent to the Marriott Hotel on Long Wharf in central Newport. The condos are located in pleasing brick and shingle buildings, that mimic the architecture of historic Newport buildings like the Tennis Hall of Fame. There is a nice main-lobby wing that has the check-in desk and small game-room.

The condo units consist of a living room (with sleeper sofa), kitchen, master bedroom (Queen Bed) and bathroom and second bedroom (two twins). A second bath is located off the living area.

The condos are fully equipped with towels, pots, pans, dishes, etc. They are pretty nicely furnished and our unit had a flat-screen TV in the living room and a small tube TV in the master bedroom. This is a comfortable, nice place, but don't expect Four Season Hotel services or furnishings. I think some of the negative reviews may be from folks who are expecting hotel services, when in fact, they are staying in a timeshare condo resort - where you get more space and room than a hotel, but you give-up some of the hotel services.

The indoor-outdoor pool is nice. There is also a second outdoor pool that is not open in the winter. The staff is very nice and there are lots of staff members around taking care of the resort and running activities. There is also a small movie theater and a gym.

The grounds and pools are nicely maintained. They are in the process of renovating the units. I believe only the units in the smaller separate buildings have been renovated. And, the units in the main building, where we stayed, will be renovated in the next year or two. Our non-renovated condo-unit was fine . And, I think when they all units get renovated, the resort will be tops.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank MassVacati0ner
There are newer reviews for Wyndham Long Wharf Resort

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Let me start by saying I would have rated this "resort" (not really a resort IMHO) as at least average IF they had had something more than crap vending machines. Really? You can't even spring for a continental breakfast, a cafe, or something? As for the vending machines themselves, a mini snack bag (not the average snack bags) of chips were MORE THAN $1...for about 8-10 chips.

The rooms were large and nice, and though the furnishings were minimalistic, I had no serious qualms with that aspect. I did, however, have several complaints about the structure of the rooms. The most puzzling for me was the toilet in one of the bathrooms: when you sat on it, there wasn't enough room to open/close the door (not that you would normally do such things), but the point is: it's a glaring flaw; why would you put a toilet 1) Right in front/facing the door and 2) when there is less than 2 inches of space to the door?

Next, were the beds: they were the MOST uncomfortable, irritating, frustrating beds I have ever slept on. After 10-15 minutes, everything hurt from my knees to my hips to my back. (And I'm a yoga-doing young adult; that shouldn't happen!) And I wasn't alone!!! I had conversations with several other guests who all agreed that the beds hurt their backs and bodies, and that they provided only RESTLESS, PAINFUL sleep. Honestly, I would only expect such poor quality mattresses at a motel.

And lastly, the water: ugh you can't drink it; it tastes awful! I understand that it's city water, but could you maybe provide a Brita filter in the room/attached to the kitchen tap or something so I don't feel like I'm drinking chemicals? Because no, I don't want to spend $2 on a 8oz can of iced tea...because the vending machines don't even sell water.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SomethingOrOtherFTW
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Beautiful historic Newport is the setting for this very conveniently located Wyndham property. It is an older property that is showing its age and is in need of updating. Bland paint, old furnishings, carpet with holes in some places, cracked/broken kitchen floor tiles, and old fashioned TV's which can be difficult to use at times. You do get free laundry and there is an extra weekly charge for housekeeping (a 2-bedroom charge was $69). Internet was free but the service was not consistent. Great fishermens' co-op shack across the street in the parking lot where you can get super lobsters for reasonable prices. Location is great lauching point for all activities.

Room Tip: Ask for something with a water view and mayb e you won't get a room overlooking the parking lot.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We have stayed at the Long Wharf many times and normally have rated them good to excellent for location and amenities. However, after this stay we were very disappointed in our accomodations in what they called an "upgraded" (new countertops/refrig???) unit #203. The unit was a 2 level, "townhouse" with no fireplace, and certainly no view other than the side of the building next door. It was so dark that we had to turn the lights on during daytime hours. There was no closet to put your coats, purses, etc...downstairs. Nearest coat closet was upstairs. There was a full bath downstairs and one full bath upstairs. The 'master' bath was in the hallway upstairs next to the 2nd bedroom, not a private bathroom, an unusual layout.

When we requested a unit change, they were unable to fulfill the request due to being sold out that week. We understand that. What we don't understand is why a silver crown property can have rooms of that quality in the trading pool to begin with. We have been an RCI member for over 25 years; we paid a $189 trade fee to RCI along with the maintenace fee for our home resort and are expecting to receive something comparable for such a trade. Such units as were given should be reserved for ermergencies and/or one/two night rentals where last minute expectations may not be so high. This unit along with what I expect are similar views/accomodations in 202 and possibly 201 are unacceptable for a silver crown rated resort.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank diningduo49
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Recently stayed in a 2 bedroom unit on the fourth floor. It was renovated and clean and new, and quite spacious. The location is spectacular, walking distance to almost everything - the only real issues were:

a) the cleaning staff only came by early morning so by the time we were up we'd already missed them - meaning our trash, towels etc wasn't changed all week.
b) there was loud door slamming and construction-type noises early in the morning (7ish) every day
c) The indoor hot tub was shut down for maintenance a few days into our stay with no notice - we would've gone before it was shut down.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank All_My_Beaches
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We stayed at this place recently and it stinks. Our worst RCI experience. Great location for seafood and sight seeing, but that is about it. They say it was built in the 90's, but it has the look and smell of a much older place. When the wind is blowing in from the yacht basin, you know that you are definitely at a seaport. They spent the minimum on furnishing the rooms and have a lot of young, seemingly unconcerned staff. If you can find other lodgings in Newport, stay out of this one.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We stayed in a two bedroom unit on the first floor. The room decor was dated but cleanThe kitchen was very small but had all supplies needed We vacationed with our two young daughters and they shared the room with two twin beds. We had a queen bed in our room. The unit had two bathrooms as well. My biggest complaint the lack of in room laundry. We had to use the shared laundry room on another floor. My laundry basket was "stolen" and never returned :-(
The resort was an older property and needed some updating but it was sufficiant for our needs. We didn't spend too much time at the resort and didn't do any of the acitivies offered. The pools were closed for repairs for most of our stay and management hosted a free cookout for everyone once the pools opened.
In short..I would stay here again because of location.

Room Tip: We bought live lobster from a lobster seller across the street. The room had a large pot for cookin...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family