“Comfortable But In Need of Remodel”

Wyndham Long Wharf Resort
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lodi
“Comfortable But In Need of Remodel”
Reviewed 29 July 2007

On the upside the suite was large, we were upgraded to a room with a washer and dryer upon check in, and when we had a problem they were quick to fix the problem.

On the downside the room was dirty upon check in, they called every morning at 9:00 AM to sell us more timeshare, and the microwave broke.

• Liked — All the main convinces of home
  • Disliked — dirty
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
7 Thank BTrish

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Framingham, MA
Reviewed 12 July 2007

Long, but a good review. I stayed here with my wife from July 8th to July 13th, no kids. I picked this hotel due to price, availability and somewhat decent reviews here on trip advisor. I will start by saying that this is not a “RESORT” is simply a decent hotel, with a pool, Jacuzzi and fitness center. This is an almost all, if not all ownership (timeshare) vacations resort. The one thing that may have been overlooked on most reviews is described in one word, KIDS. This is a family hotel and a good place for a family vacation, not singles, and not for just a couple with no kids like myself. I stayed in the two bedroom suite (no one bedroom choices available), and it had a full kitchen, with full size fridge, full size dish washer, full size stove oven, which again is great for families, my wife and I wanted nothing with cooking during vacation, but with a family, I’m sure it’s worth all the savings. There is also a BBQ, cookout area just outside the pool. The pool was great, only problem is again, LOTS OF KIDS, most of the day, afternoon and night, pool is open from 8am to 10pm, and seems like the only time there are less kids in the pool is around 6:30pm to 7:30-8:00pm. This was true all days of my stay, I’m not sure why, if I had a kid maybe I’d know. Housekeeping was disappointing. I stayed here on a timeshare rental, and this property rents from Friday to Friday, so when I got here on a Sunday, the place was a mess. I called the front desk since housekeeping that not been here that day, and they said that housekeeping only comes every other day, and they had to charge me $20 if I wanted my bed’s linens changed, or they would just drop them off at the door for free. I took option number two obviously. Problem started when I found out that they DO NOT clean the room every other day, but ONCE in a weeklong stay, and additional cleaning costs up to $50,00 for a three bedroom, and $40,00 for the two bedroom. No main problems besides housekeeping. I would come back, since even though it’s got some problems, is still the best deal in this area of Newport, where with a timeshare rental it cost me around $180 a night. One more thing that was not mentioned anywhere, is the whirlpool in the bathroom, pretty nice, and king size bed, pretty good size TV in the living room, I think it’s a 32 inch, with DVD player, and available rental DVDs downstairs by the pool on a little DVD machine kiosk. Hope this helps your choice. My grade is a three. The hotel serves its purpose, however would do better with housekeeping. Just have the correct expectations when you come here. If you have kids, your kids will love it, and you are in newport, and can always find something for yourself too, location could not be better.

• Liked — Locations
  • Disliked — Housekeeping
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
11 Thank pedrinhokt
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 June 2007

We just returned from a week at the Long Wharf which we had booked as an exchange through RCI. i was a bit concerned going in because of the tone of the reviews I'd been reading both here and elsewhere, and now I'm writing a review with that same "okay, not special" tone. The resort has recently been taken over by Wyndham we were told when we checked in, and my feeling is that perhaps Fairfield had let it go just a little bit before the takeover.
It looks good on the outside, although at check-in, I was more than a little annoyed by the pushiness of one of the guys at the desk who didn't want to take "no" for an answer when it came to spending an hour in a presentation of some kind. My feeling is that a simple "no" on our part should have shut him down...it took a bit more than that , unfortunately.
Once in the room, we were pleased with the set-up. We had one of the 2 bedroom townhouses with a full bath up and one down. The furnishings could have been in better shape...especially all the lampshades that were broken and old. The room was clean enough, but the bed linens were small for the beds...the queen/king pillows were fitted with standard pillowwcases, for example, and the sheets kept pulling off the mattresses.
The thing I took issue with most was the fact that extra towels are not available. I believe I understood that you could have one extra set for a fee! We were told that since a washer and dryer were available in the unit we needed to wash the towels! Now, a washer and dryer are lovely to have to use IF YOU WANT TO, but it is another thing to have to work washing and drying into your schedule especially if you spend a good deal of time away from the resort as we usually do.
The only other issue was apparently brought about by the new ownership as redecorating began. They took off wallpaper and sanded the walls in the hallway during the last couple of days we were there. It was very noisy (was glad we didn't have any little ones with us) and very messy with the white powder from the sanding all over the hall and being tracked into the unit.
Location was good...you could walk just about anywhere, and there are some amazing restaurants--especially Canfield House which we went to twice.
We'd go back to Newport for a weekend, but would stay elsewhere.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of area and resort info available in unit
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank Ellverswee

Travellers are raving about these Newport hotels

NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
Reviewed 3 June 2007

My husband and I just returned from 2 weeks at this Resort.
Luckily, I called the Resort many months in advance and requested the "Townhouse Suite". We had a perfect view of the Harbor from our livingroom and upstairs Master bedroom.
Think there are only a few Townhouses with this view and with a private balcony off the livingroom. If you are going to this property it is a MUST to request a Townhouse Suite. The full kitchen is not much but does have everything a person needs except enough dishes to actually make a meal. We only ate breakfast in the condo and ate out the rest of the day. Perfect location to the shops, resturants etc. Next door Marriott's has a two for one
dinner off a big menu for Long Wharf guests. You have to tell them you are staying at the Long Wharf to get this, otherwise, you get a two for one dinner with only 4 sections which is very good too. This special is only on Tues and Wed evenings. The Long Wharf Resort did not tell us about this and many other things they did not inform us about, like the combination lock to the swimming pool etc. By the way, it was a lovely indoor swimming pool heated and has a water tunnel slide for kids, only wish we had our little grandson with us.
We did find that the staff and salesmen at the Resorts smoked at our Entrance to our condo all the time and we found it very annoying. Our unit was clean, they need to replace the furniture in the livingroom. Guest room is not for a couple, only a child, twin beds, no TV very small. Maid service was good, but they did not come on scheduled day, took 5 phone calls to the front desk to finally get our maid service. Also, the Townhouse Suits has washer/dryer which is great. We own property Fairfield now called Wynham in Hawaii and used these two weeks as exchange.

• Liked — The view from our Townhouse
  • Disliked — No business internet center
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
10 Thank KAREN045
US
Reviewed 20 October 2006

I stayed here at the end of Sept. 06 and LOVED it. The facility and the staff were phenomenal. Everyone was so friendly and pleasant. The room was beautiful and cozy. The courtyard view that we had was gorgeous. We had asked for a waterview but because of the business across the street, they do not have water view, which was disappointing, but the courtyard view with the leaves changing colors was great anyway. I would definitely recommend this and go again and again!!!

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — no waterview
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Noone11
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 29 July 2006

First you have to figure out if you're going to/reviewing the Fairfield Inn at Long Wharf or the Fairfield at Long Wharf -- surely there is a better way to distinguish the two. Just as a point of clarification, the Fairfield at Long Wharf is the large, beautiful resort and the Inn at Long Wharf is a simpler, less elegant style. I believe the latter was acquired and then added to the Fairfield properties. It seems like a tagalong to me.

We are RCI timeshare members; we traded our week for the privilege of staying at Newport at Long Wharf, a five-star resort, or so we thought. As timeshare members, this resort required a Friday check-in for a one-week stay. We were in town for a family reunion and had booked a two-bedroom unit for overflow family members to bunk with us. En route from Boston, we called ahead at 3 p.m. (check-in starts at 4 p.m.) to request a late arrival. We were assured that our reservation was confirmed, that the hotel desk was manned 24 hours and to take our time.

By the time we arrived, many hours later, our room was gone! They had apparently "overbooked by 16 units" and simply used the first-come, first-serve mentality. Bear in mind that our reservation had been paid in full for over three months. We were told that our room would be available on Sunday (two days later), the night manager apologized repeatedly, and then rebooked us at a Comfort Inn about four miles away. As upset and disappointed as we were, and with no room for our additional family members who we had generously offered accommodation, we had no choice but to go to the Comfort Inn. Incidentally, that facility was fine - although in a completely separate class - was new and clean, but most importantly had a bed where we could rest our travel-weary bodies.

We eventually were able to check in on Sunday, as promised. (Well, not quite as promised, as we had to wait over three hours for our room. Sorry again!) By the time we actually gained posession of our two-bedroom suite, we felt totally defeated. However, the units were nice. It's too bad that they don't attend to some of the smaller maintenance items. The living room walls needed cleaning or paint touch-ups and the same living room carpet needed cleaning as well. That aside, the units were lovely. There was a nautical/beachy theme that was carried throughout the suite. We had a view of the pool, which was of concern due to the inevitable noise, but surprisingly, the insulation is so good that we rarely ever heard anything but the toilet flushing in the unit above ours.

We had two bathrooms, a small but efficient kitchen, a lovely master bedroom. Strangely, the second bedroom had twin beds and no television in the room. The couch was a sleeper sofa, but we did not have any guests to try it out. In the area in which guests generally access the suites, there is a vestibule that had a strong smell of cigarette smoke. Not the best way to be greeted as you enter the facility. Once inside, the carpets, including the carpets on the elevator were threadbare and dirty. All of that was put aside though, when we got to the room, which we generally were quite pleased with.

One day, there was a short knock at our door. Before I could even get out of my seat, the door was opened, presumably by hotel staff who then disappeared, leaving the door ajar. I saw a maid rapidly walking away from our room, so I could only conclude that she needed access to our room and when she realized that we were there, she left. Strange though, as our room had already been serviced.

The resort is ideally located; Newport is absolutely gorgeous, and while the weekend is quite full of tourists, the shops and tourist destinations on weekdays, particularly if you start out early, are much less crowded. The resort was very close the the central core of Newport shops and everything was within walking distance. This is important because street parking is scarce (parking meters, up to 3 hours) and the parking lots were charging $10. This is arguably one of the most beautiful locations (Newport itself) we've ever visited. We were enthralled and entranced by everything there was to see.

I would recommend a drive along the street with all of the mansions, with a conclusion at Inn at Castle Hill for drinks. Truly magical. We went in for some of the mansion tours as well. I highly recommend the Astors' Beechwood. It is the one location that offers 'living history' and the actors stay in character throughout the tour. We were delighted to get a private tour as we were the only ones there! No visit to Newport would be complete without trying the lobster rolls. Local eateries that shouldn't be missed include Flo's Clam Shack on the outskirts of town. We also enjoyed eating at the Red Parrot. There's a small Mexican restaurant very near the resort that we enjoyed immensely as well -- probably went there three times.

All in all, a fabulous vacation. But the horror of not having our rooms available left a lasting bruise on the exterior of an otherwise beautiful trip. A lesson we learned that we will take to heart in the future is -- check in early!

Would we go again? Absolutely, in a heartbeat. Would we stay at Newport Long Wharf? Not a chance, we just couldn't trust it again.

• Liked — Location!
  • Disliked — Poorly managed booking process
  • Tips/Secrets — Check in early!
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple