“Overpriced”

Ranked #65 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Overpriced”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the elms room with spa bathtub. It was our anniversary so we were willing to splurge a little. While the Spa bathtub was spacious and nice, the jets clearly hadn't been cleaned or run between us and the previous guests and when we turned them on, we were a bit grossed out. This and other details like no washcloths provided just displayed a lack of attention to detail that u don't expect at almost 400 per night!! This was fine, but I wouldn't recommend at the price.
Pluses: spacious bathroom, on site parking, breakfast included.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank beccasi

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Harrisville, Rhode Island
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This B&B is located in an old house in downtown Newport and contains 5 rooms themed on the Newport Mansions. We stayed in the Belcourt room which is themed onthe Belcourt Castle. It has a nonworking Fireplace and a 2 person Jacuzzi tub. I thought the room had nice amenities and is decorated with antiques and old fashioned wall and bed treatments. The bed is ENORMOUS. Some people have commented that it looks run down, but I think the point is that it is authentic to the times. If you want modern design, don't come to this place. The breakfast was delicious and the location was perfect- walking distance to everything. We stayed off season, so the price wasn't as high as it is in season. The place could use a few minor repairs and touch ups, but overall, we had a good experience.

Room Tip: The Belcourt Room does not have a working fireplace
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dawn R
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I've rated this two star, due to the poor experience we had. When we arrived at the Wynstone, it was not obvious where to park, so I parked by the roadside & my wife found a sign on the door saying we had to collect keys from another building. After finally finding the other building, and going inside we could find nobody, so we then walked several streets back to the Wynstone, where as it happened we bumped into some other guests and a member of staff. When I explained that the other building was unmanned, he casually brushed this aside saying I should have searched in the rooms of the building. So back we walked where we met the owner Rick. Rick didn't want to drive with us back to the Wynstone, but instead asked us to follow him in his car. This we did, and when we tried to turn into the Wynstone carpark - which was tight - our car made a horrible crunching noise as it hit the curb. I decided to back out and again a horrible crunch. Rick told me that I needed to swing out onto the other side of the road (facing the oncoming traffic) before turning. This I did and I managed to get in.

Rick blamed our not knowing where to turn up on the travel agent with whom we booked our New England holiday; he said he asks for the details of the guests in advance so he can tell them how to arrive, but this is not passed on.

Due to our bad experience, Rick offered us a choice of 3 rooms, which was good of him and appreciated, so we chose a room on the upper floor. Our room had a stain on the chair, which he said was caused by the previous occupant - no fault there, he couldn't be blamed for that. When he left we noticed there was a (wine?) stain on the bed sheets, sticky cake on the magazine left in the room, and quite a bit of hair left on the bathroom floor - off putting. The wifi connection was weak upstairs so I wandered downstairs into the breakfast area to do some surfing. Again sticky cake on the tables, which had not been wiped down properly. Later that night we tried the jacuzzi but little black bits came out of the jets, which was again off putting.

The Wynstone is a nice hotel nicely furnished in a good location, but little bits like attention to cleanliness and customer care can make the difference. This should be something which can readily be fixed.

Breakfast was pleasant enough. A fried breakfast made to order, with muffins you can toast yourself, fruit juice and coffee. Another couple asked for fried mushrooms, and were told they could be sourced for the next day's breakfast - unfortunately these were forgot. The chap making the breakfast however was very friendly and amiable.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peter C
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I spent the weekend at the Wynstone Inn during the Summer of 2013. I was happy to find a bed and breakfast at a somewhat affordable price for Newport, however, I am greatly disappointed and frankly, disgusted with the management and inn! At this point, I would NEVER suggest that a friend or family member stay at any of the Inns that are run by Rick (the owner). Going forward, I am reporting Rick to the Better Business Bureau.

As I arrived in Newport, I checked in at the central location where they gave me directions to 232 Spring Street. At that point, the high school student working at the front desk mentioned that my room is still not ready (cleaned), and that I would have to wait about 1 hour. After walking around Newport for a bit, I was finally able to check into my room. When pulling into the "parking lot" I realized there was no room for my car or any other cars that may or may not try to enter the lot. In fact, I had to leave my car running and go inside the inn to one of the employees to move their car that way I could park my car. After entering the "best" room at the Wynstone Inn, the fire alarm was beeping, the air conditioner was loud, and their was a strange odor in the room. After asking an employee to fix the fire alarm, he decided the best idea was to just remove the batteries. Over the weekend, the batteries to the fire alarm were never replaced. God forbid there was a fire. Overall, the room was dusty, shabby, and old. Further, there were markings on the sheets. In the morning, we went for the complimentary breakfast.... only to find cold eggs and bread that you could toast yourself. Further the dining room was old, smelt like mold, and just dingy. Therefore, we decided to go out for breakfast. Overall, my stay at the Inn was a huge let down. However, my disgust with the Inn and the owner, Rick, goes beyond my stay.

One day after checking out of the Wynstone Inn, I called Rick to let him know I left a pair of diamond earrings (that I inherited from my grandmother) in the room. Later, I called back and he let me know that he found them and that they are safe in a lock box and that he would be sending them to me via a safe mailing system. After weeks I became worried as I did not receive my earrings. I called Rick and he told me he had not sent them... and that he is very busy around this time of year. Therefore, I suggested that I would pick them up myself as I did not trust him. When I arrived to pick the earrings up, he told me that his office is a mess (it did look like a bomb went off in the room) and that when he took them out of the safe box to mail them to me that he must have misplaced them. At this point, I panicked and offered to help him clean and organize his office as I just wanted to find my earrings as they are my most precious sentimental valuable. To make a long story short, Rick told me that he was too busy to clean his office. However, he would call me in September after he cleaned and found my earrings. It is now November 13, 2013 and I have not received my earrings. I plan on following up with my lawyer as Rick does not return my phone calls or ever reach out to me. All I want is my earrings back, and at this point I do not believe they will ever be found. I am not sure if he sold them... gave them away... or actually lost them.

Overall, my stay at The Wynstone Inn and my interactions with Rick, the owner and his employees has been beyond poor. I do not suggest that anyone stay here even if it is a bit cheaper than other Inns. It is not worth it, it is loud, dirty, and your valuables are not safe there.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank daniellerachel
Gloucester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I want to give a good review, but I can't. This inn is a satellite of a group of inns. You check in at a central location and are given instructions as to where to go. That is fine, and I knew it when I booked and had all the locations in the GPS.

After check in with Rick who was very, if not too friendly, we drove to the Wynstone, which is a classic and historic Newport home. Parking was tight but we appreciated having parking as we were only a block to the waterfront. There is a short walk from the car to the front of the inn, some steep stairs, a locked door to navigate, and then some more very steep steps to our room, the Belcourt. The room is not a place you want to spend any time in.

The bed is not very welcoming, three steps to even get in, and had an ordinary mattress and pillows. It takes over the room (which is small to start). On the other hand the bathroom was very nice, while the tub is aged. The trim in the bathroom is unfinished with missing pieces and exposed screws.

We spent the day and early evening out of the room. When we retired we found that the TV had horrible reception, with lines down the screen and snow for every channel. I stay up while my husband goes to sleep early, and there was no space in the room to accommodate this in the evening or on the flip side in the morning when he gets up early. The bed is a danger and I was petrified to get up in the dark to use the facilities having to think about taking the steps out of the bed.

We thought there was going to be a breakfast as promoted but a little before 9 am there was no sign. We had to be somewhere at 9:45, and found that at 9:15 when we came down stairs all packed to leave, there started to be life in the dining room, but it was too late for us to catch more than a nibble. At that, the breakfast was nothing special, do it yourself toast, and basic eggs with sausage or bacon and pancakes. No fresh baked goods, which is what I would have loved to grab and eat. No yogurt or fruit either. In the dining room there was bare wood exposed on the trim and a shabby air about it.

When we travel around the world we have experienced all sorts of accommodations and have a healthy tolerance for an acceptable margin of error. I was truly shocked at the quality of this property for the price charged. It is redeemed only by the location and the parking.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scsvirsky
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Belcourt room for one night. We checked in at the Cleveland House and the woman there was friendly but didn't offer any advice about the city as others have mentioned. When you get to the Wynstone, be prepared to take your luggage up some pretty steep stairs. There was a huge bed that dominated the room. Furniture was in front of several of the windows so you couldn't really let any natural light in. The room felt a bit gloomy as a result. A substance (wine maybe) had been spilled down the side of the mattress cover by a previous guest and had not been washed. There were also stains on the carpet. The bed was not comfortable and they basically give you 4 small square pillows to sleep with. I am not counting the decorative throw pillows that were on the bed as I wouldn't use those (unwashed). On the positive side, the location is great, and there was a friendly young man who made a delicious breakfast for us in the morning. Overall for what you get, I think it was very overpriced, and we would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank ColleenSTL
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This is one of the classic/old style inns in Newport old town. about 7 short blocks from the main town square, but close 2 blocks to restaurants/premenade/marina. The inn is part of a group of classic inns. must be similar to others. you need to eat breakfast and check-in at a different location then than the actual inn. the room was not perfect, but at least manager was sensetive to comments/problems.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple