“Great weekend trip to Newport!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Wynstone

The Wynstone
Ranked #66 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Philadelphia
“Great weekend trip to Newport!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2009

My fiance and I road- tripped to Newport for the weekend and stayed at the Wynstone. First of all, the location of this inn is amazing, you could not ask for a better location of an inn in Newport. It is a block from the main streets and also a very easy walk to the mansions/cliff walk. When we went to check in we got a surprise upgrade to the Breakers room b/c it was not booked for the (off-season) weekend. Upon walking into our room, we were very pleasantly surprised at how large it is! The room has hardwood floors, a nice big king-sized bed, and the bathroom is amazing! It's so big and has a great 2 person jacuzzi, large marble shower and adorable lighting all over. The room and bathroom were both very clean and nicely decorated.
Now, on to my small complaints about the inn.. If you are looking to sleep in and your room is on the 1st floor, forget about it. The breakfast activity will have you up bright and early....Which leads me to my 2nd issue-- Breakfast. I felt that the breakfast was a little lacking for the price of the room. I could hear the microwave going in the next room while the staff was cooking breakfast. The last thing I would have to add is that the pillows are terrible! Small detail, I know..
All in all, we had a GREAT time at the Wynstone and would definitely return! The prices are a little high, but it's worth it for a little luxurious relaxation getaway!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Worcester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2008

My boyfriend and I just got back from spending a weekend at The Wynstone in Newport. This was our second time staying at this B&B (in the exact same room). We love this inn: When I called to make the reservation, I spoke with Rick (I believe he is the owner). When we were going over the prices for the different rooms, I told him about another B&B in Newport that was offering a winter special, and Rick mentioned that there were two rooms available on the third floor of the Wynstone, for slightly less money: We payed $169/night for two nights, Friday and Saturday. The room on the third floor is lovely: Big bed, working fireplace, two windows that let in a good amount of light, and the highlight for me of this room: the bathroom. The bathroom is beautiful with a huge jacuzzi tub, marble floor, and window. A great room for a great price. The other wonderful thing about staying at the Wynstone is that you have complete privacy. I now there were other guests staying at the Inn but I never saw them. Nor did we see the innkeepers the entire weekend. They give you your privacy which is wonderful. Also, breakfast is great! Meals in Newport can get expensive, so knowing that you are going to get one free meal each day is nice.
A couple of things to keep in mind about staying at the Wynstone: Half the rooms in the Inn overlook Memorial Blvd, which can be quite noisy with traffic and pedestrians. I woke up on Friday night to traffic and people talking or yelling. However, my boyfriend, who is a heavy sleeper, slept right through it. While it can get a little noisy, the location is wonderful: one block from downtown. We walked everywhere (except for the mansions) all weekend.
The Wynstone is a wonderful B&B and I would defenitely go back and stay a third time.

• Liked — Jacuzzi and fireplace
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
New Haven, CT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2008

Went on vacation with my fiance and found this B&B online and it looked very romantic via the pictures until we first go there. We selected the Elms room which is the only room in the house w/o hardwood floors which we were unaware of.

To start with you have to drive to a different house to get your key and then drive to the house (which is not labeled by the way just sitting there on the corner of Spring St).

As soon as we got into the room, there were a couple of stains on the carpet and the bedroom was small (tough with 2 people and luggage to say the least). The bathroom is almost 2 times bigger (and nicer) then the bathroom. Shower and the whirlpool were nice upgrades to the room. There was construction going on across the street and started every morning at 7am.

The breakfast is amazing at this place though. Coffee and french toast are out of this world. The location of the house is downtown and you are in walking distance of everything (except the Mansions).

Would not stay there again or recommend it for individuals between 20-30.

• Liked — The breakfast and the location
  • Disliked — The dirty carpets and small bedroom
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank klemenz
connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2008

We had a wonderful stay at this beautiful Inn. The room was large and very inviting. The bed had a pillow top and was extremely comfortable. We had our own jacuzzi tub and a gorgeous bathroom. The staff was friendly and the free parking was also appreciated. I have recommended this inn to many people and will continue to do so.

• Liked — beautiful, luxurious room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2008

My wife and I just made our first trip to a B & B so we were not really sure what to expect. We were looking for a nice weekend away without the kids. I read the reviews and decided on the Wynstone. Rick was very friendly and had wonderful suggestions regarding what to do while in Newport. We chose The Elms room. It was great ... jacuzzi was huge, bed was extremely comfortable, fireplace was very nice as well. We were also able to see a couple of the other rooms. The Belcourt (this bed was so big that it had three steps on each side of it just to climb in) and The Breakers (on the first floor, good sized room with a huge bathroom) were both great rooms. Overall, we were happy with our selection of The Elms room. It was perfect. The bathroom was almost the size of the bedroom. We hated to leave!
Rick, Michelle, & Dean were all wonderful. Breakfast was good as well.
I would highly recommend this Inn to anyone who is looking for that perfect weekend away.

• Liked — Jacuzzi & Location
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mikeleslee
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2007

We went there for our honeymoon and it was great! Michelle the housekeeper was so friendly and can cook just about anything you want for breakfest (I recommend the french toast). Our room, the kingscote, was very nice although it was a little smaller then we thought it would be but the bathroom made up for it. It was so nice and big!

• Liked — Great Location, we rented a car but we didn't end up using it much.
  • Disliked — They own about 5 inns so depending how full each was determained who was serving breakfest, we had to wait for a table a few times.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2006

My husband and I went to Newport for the first time and had a wonderful stay at the Wynstone. It not only lived up to its internet description, it surpassed it! Our room (the Kingscote) was both beautiful and comfortable. Rick (the innkeeper) was very friendly and helpful in advising us about the area. Michelle (the housekeeper) did an amazing job cooking and caring for us. If you are looking for a cozy place to stay that will give you the full Newport experience, you can't do any better than the Wynstone. We will definitely be back!

Stayed November 2006