“Pet friendly and good location.”
Review of Elm Street Inn

Elm Street Inn
Elm Street Inn
Ranked #85 of 96 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here last week for a last minute end of the summer night. We were looking for a place that let us bring our dog, and the owners said this was their only place they allowed it because the whole house had wood floors. The room was average, bed and bathroom reasonably comfortable. We actually had a very large room on the right side of the building. It had a bedroom with a separate area for a daybed and television. Old furniture, nothing spectacular in terms of ambiance. But like I said, I was thrilled to find a place that let me bring my little baby pomeranian, Bandit, and we all had a great time. Within walking distance to shops, restaurants, and also the bridge that takes you to goat island. There is a little park there on the water where you could sit on benches, read and relax.
Good breakfast. Cooked to order, but you have to go to one of their other bed and breakfasts for it. No big deal. I would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tree6199

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Was looking for a last minute one night room in Newport and ended up here. The Inns of Newport reception person worked with us to find something and was very honest in saying it was a very small room and the last one they had. However, the rest of the description is what I want to tell. The Elm Street Inn does have several rooms and I can only speak for the one we had which was at the back of the house and was entered from the kitchen. The room had no charm. The door to the room had duct tape on it to cover up some large cracks. The sink was tiny, yet functional. The shower was large and had good water temp and pressure. Could use some more towel rods or hooks.

The location was good and an easy walk to all the heart of town. The price seemed high, but this is Newport and everything is over priced. Breakfast was at another associated inn and was more than a five minute walk. Breakfast was OK but nothing to brag about.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2010

If you want an extremely unpleasant experience, then you should definitely make a reservation here! The room pictured on the website is quite beautiful, but in reality, it is a nightmare. When we checked in, we were expecting a lovely suite to accommodate myself and my daughters, but what we found was quite the opposite! Pictured on the room's photo was a beautiful canopy bed with quilt and matching curtains, lovely armoire, coffee table with flowers, and clean, inviting surroundings. Did the room itself look like this in any way? Definitely NOT! The dresser drawers were broken, the lamps did not work, the bed had no quilt, the bathroom was not clean,and the trundle bed had a metal frame which literally made my legs bleed when I constantly ran into it due to lack of space. Breakfast was not on the premises, and this was never explained to us when we made the reservation. One evening our room was not cleaned until 9:30pm, and that was after numerous calls to management. Lesson learned..............do not trust photos on the website. You will be SORRY!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank sondra1458
Reviewed 7 August 2008

Recently stayed at The Elm Street inn. Found it to be in a nice area of town. The only thing that I really thought was strange was that we had to go back to the Clarke house to get our breakfast in the morning. It was about a 8 block walk. Not so terrible but this wasn't explained to us when we made our reservation. One thing I have enjoyed when staying at bed & breakfasts is that you get to know whats what in the area by talking to the owners or people who run it. Not so here as we never really saw anyone until we went to breakfast. Rooms were clean. Not what was pictured on their website though.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank kr358
Reviewed 30 June 2007

My Fiance and I took a one night trip down to Newport and stayed at the Elm St Inn. The room and Inn were very clean and comfortable and the staff was absolutely outstanding. We were originally going to stay in the Clarke House which was also nice but there was a wedding party so the owner offered us a room at Elm St so we'd have more privacy. We had the entire floor to ourselves, which made for a very relaxing trip. Elm St Inn is in a quieter part of town but it's only about a block from a nice park right on the water and the visitor center is just around the corner. I would definitely stay again and hopefully for more than one night.

• Stayed: June 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 9 August 2006

The Elm St. Inn is a perfect location for any occasion. I resently spent the weekend there with a bunch of girlfriends and we had a blast! Not only is it located in walking distance from the downtown scene and shops, the rooms were kept in impeccable condition and the staff was always willing and looking to help. The canopy bed, jacuzzi tub & full kitchen made it pleasurable and convenient. I fully recommend the Elm St. Inn to anyone visting Newport.

1  Thank whelihan