“Excellent.”
Review of Grace Vanderbilt

Grace Vanderbilt
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Well trained and attentive staff although a little slow serving breakfast. We booked the smallest rooms- they were spacious and comfortable by any standard. Lovely outdoor garden and roof top seating area, chic bar but drinks were a little expensive even for this establishment. No one was dining in the evenings when we were there, probably down to the price. I understand the owners need to keep a certain exclusivity but a slight reduction in the bar and dining prices would have detered us from venturing out of the hotel in the evenings to dine.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank lesleyd

Reviewed 8 August 2011

Not sure why the Vanderbilt is rated #1 on TripAdvisor for hotels in Newport. Based on the excellent rating, we recently spent 2 nights at this hotel in one of their deluxe rooms.

On the plus side, the hotel is in a convenient location, just off the main street but away from the crowds. Upon checkin, they give you a glass of champagne, the second time we have encountered this nice amenity. The staff was very friendly; the room was clean and spacious.

On the negative side, the bed was not comfortable. This is key to any hotel, luxury or otherwise in my book. And although the room was spacious, there were no dressers in which to store your clothes - only a small closet. In the bathroom, there was no place to leave your toiletries - only a 3-inch wide glass shelf, that the hotel filled with their items. The sink was of the pedestal type so no counter space there. The air conditioner was loud, so when it came on, you could not hear the tv unless you turned up the volume very high. There was an indoor pool and an outdoor pool but the water in each of them was not clear. This may be due to the color of the pool itself but it was not inviting. There was no whirlpool, but there was a coed sauna.

Parking was an extra $18/day. Champagne breakfast was included which was advertised as continental but included 2 hot selections each day. One day service was slow to non-existent (as in I waited for 20 minutes for a glass of juice and finally gave up) and the next day, it was excellent.

The best part of the hotel was the roof deck. From there, you could see the Newport bridge and the harbor. It was a great place to watch the sunset while drinking wine from the Newport Vineyard.

Overall, I would select a different hotel the next time we visit Newport. For the price, there are better options.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MumaRules
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This beautiful historic home has blossomed under new management, and we have rarely felt more welcomed. The "valued guest" reception began with the car valet who greeted us when we first arrived, and continued with every person we interacted with at the hotel, including the General Manager . From complimentary champagne in the reception lobby, to the elegant tucked away bar and billard room, to our roomy and tastefully furnished suite, to the manicured garden terrace, this small boutique hotel radiated a "Gilded Age" Experience. The location was a bonus - on a guiet street, but within just a few blocks of the bustling wharf area in downtown Newport. We will definately return!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2011

This hotel is simply wonderful. The staff is ultra-friendly and super-helpful. The accomodations are modern and exquisite. The location is unbeatable. The downside is the price so not sure I would shell out all that loot on a personal trip, but for a business trip it's my first choice in Newport.

Room Tip: I personally do not like rooms (especially bedrooms) with slanted gabled ceilings, so when I make my...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at The lovely Vanderbilt Grace with our two children.
This is a world class hotel with the type of service one sees only in the very best European hotels.As world class travelers it takes a lot to impress.First of all the hotel itself it just gorgeous and elegant.Second the service of the whole staff is just amazing,they really make you feel catered to and pampered.Finally the rooms them selves are very beautiful as well comfortable and the food is fantastic.Even though we have food allergies it was just easy and delicious .Honestly can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our five day stay except we are planning another week long trip there next month!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I have been going to Newport, RI every summer for my entire life. I know the town well and hold it near and dear to my heart as an incredible place to go, especially in the summer. While I usually stay at a friend’s home, I decided this trip to try the Vanderbilt Grace. I have stayed at the Mykonos Grace on 2 different occasions, so after seeing that Grace Hotels had expanded to Newport, I decided to give it a try. I had never heard of this hotel before but I am now thrilled that I now do.

The hotel is quant, charming luxurious and comfortable. The atmosphere is very fitting for Newport with its nautical theme. The rooms are well designed, offering very comfortable beds, nice furnishings, excellent bathrooms and a very well stocked mini-bar. This is a standard for all Grace Hotels.

While I loved the space and the atmosphere, there is one element that stood out that I believe to be the most important component of any hotel. The service and the staff are excellent. They understand that this is a boutique hotel and they develop a personal rapport with the guests. The doormen seem to understand your habits and your interests. I was there for a weekend with some friends and they knew where to point us in the right direction for fun. The concierge and front desk staff spent personal time to understand that I wanted to sail, and they arranged for an afternoon sailing trip on one of the old America's Cup racing yachts. Their spa facilities are superior to other boutique hotels, and the new restaurant is a worthy alternative to the Black Pearl.

Overall my experience was excellent, but the staff stood out more then anything. Grace Hotels has done it again and truly has great team in Newport, RI.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank newyork230
Reviewed 20 July 2011

As a frequent a long time customer of the Vanderbilt Grace sister properties in Maine, I had very high expectations of my visit to Newport. These expectations were totally exceeded in every way, from the personal and professional attention of the superb staff, to the intimate feel of property itself, which was at once classically elegant and freshly modern. My only regret is not having had the time to try their restaurant, Muse by Jonathan Cartwright, which I am sure is on par with his other standout restaurants. Andrew at the bar is an impressive hospitality professional.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business