“Very Good, but not Great”
Review of Grace Vanderbilt

Grace Vanderbilt
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very Good, but not Great”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the Vanderbilt Grace in a one bedroom corner suite. The location of this hotel is superb, walking distance to shops and restaurants, yet away enough to avoid crowds. Our room was spacious and clean and we had nice views. However, we could hear every word the people staying in the room next door were yelling at each other in the middle of the night! For a $1,000 per night room, I would expect thicker or better insulated walls to at least dampen such noise.

The hotel staff as very friendly, nice, and eager to answer our questions to make sure we had a good stay. Breakfast at the conservatory, which was included in our room rate, was very good and clean, with a few issues. The loaf of homemade bread tasted as though it was old even though it was not. Suggestion to hotel: change this bread please. The roof top deck was very nice and had great views, but my one non-alcoholic cocktail (basically a glass of cranberry juice mixed with pineapple juice) cost $7 and my husband's glass of mineral water also cost $7.

Room Tip: Ask for the corner suite which has many windows. Be sure to visit the roof top deck.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Berkeley Shores, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My husband had wanted to visit Newport for the longest time. I purchased a room package through Rue LaLa for the Vanderbilt Grace. The rooms are very spacious, with top of the line furniture and amenities. While visiting in the early Spring, we had unusually warm weather, requiring us to utilize the AC. The second day, the AC stopped working and we were quickly and promptly moved to a new room. The staff was super friendly and helpful. We were moved into the oldest part of the mansion, which I suggest anyone making reservations ask to be settled there. The room was amazing! If you appreciate architecture and quality craftsmanship of years gone by, the older room has it all, from tall ceilings to large windows.
We ate dinner one evening at the restaurant on the premiss and what a dinner in was. We felt like royalty as we sat by the fireplace. The meal and service was fantastic. In all, we had a wonderful experience, even with the minor hiccup. One last thing before I forget... The beds, super comfortable. I have many back issues and usually dread nights away from my sleep number bed. One of the few places I've stayed that I didn't wake up feeling like hell

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the original part of the Mansion, which overlooks the front of the hotel. Even th...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Mystic, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Didn't even realize the valet, the restaurant, and the deck/lounge view and bar on the roof. Its amazing. The service and staff were the absolute best and most attentive. In addition, our room (the loft) was far beyond our expectations. Worth every single penny. We went for my girlfriends birthday, and she told me it was the best birthday ever - that is largely due to our accommodations, and how we were treated by the attentive staff. The location is just steps away from everything, but is still quiet, as it is only a block up from all the fun! We could have just stayed at the hotel, and been just as happy - really no reason to leave.
A+++++
5 Stars
5 Diamonds
2 Thumbs

Room Tip: The loft is actually 2 floors with 1 1/2 baths, and has skylights and a window view that is beautifu...
1 Thank 771garrettr
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I live in Hong Kong and was working in the US for 2 weeks..and had a weekend free. I had never been to Newport RI before and it was suggested a great place to visit. I then was placed into the Grace Vaderbilt by my good freind Kerry Schmoock of Travel Wings in Australia. Well I can not speak more highly of the place. From the moment you arrive you are extremely well looked after by the very porffessional staff . The room ( Jnr Suite ) was outstanding . The whole decor of the Hotel has a classic feel to it and oozes class..! The hotel is very well locted to the central part of Newport and walking distance to the warves and the many hundreds of Restaurants and Shops . If you want to travel further afield the staff are more than willing to assist. The breakfast was great and the Buffett was well appointed. The highlight was the Rooftop Bar which is just an outstanding spot to sit and watch the sunset with a glass of Champagne..! I will be back to the Grace Vaderbilt...but next time my wife has demanded she is coming too ..!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed at the Vanderbilt Grace for a wedding being held in Newport and decided to stay 3 nights. We loved this hotel. The location in town is perfect.The staff are so courteous and helpful. Check in was a breeze and our room was beautiful! The entire hotel is well appointed and very comfortable. We had dinner at Muse and drinks on the rooftop bar. The complimentary champagne breakfast was great! We had massages at the spa. I had a hot stone massage that was one of the best I ever had! One of the best hotel experiences we've ever had. We will be back again!

1 Thank tess176
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Vanderbilt Grace hotel for three nights in September and we absolutely loved it!! Everyone who works there is so nice - the service is amazing without the pretentious attitude you quite often find in five star hotels. They make you feel extremely welcome!! One day while I was waiting in the lobby for my husband to return from a sailing excursion the hotel personel brought me some wonderful bar snacks when I was complaining that I was starving. It's little touches like that make the difference from a good hotel and a GREAT hotel!
Breakfast buffet was included and it was exceptional with a great selection including cheese, cold cuts, vegetables with olive oil and balsamic dressing what a refreshing change from high fat arterly clogging bacon and eggs, which if you prefer can be ordered a la cart for an additonal cost. We ate breakfast in the gorgeous outdoor English style garden. The garden is definilty one of the many highlights of the hotel. There is also an outdoor fire pit if it is cool in the evening.
The outdoor pool was fabulous!! The indoor heated pool and sauna were also amazing.
Our suite was gorgeous with calming neutral colors, beautiful antiques and oil paintings. The turn down service was perfect and the essential oils was a nice touch!

The double spa shower head was very nice!! Washroom design and finishes were practical and very taseful.

The public areas were very elegant and well appointed. We didn't eat the the hotel restaurant so we cannot comment on it but it looked very nice. We just don't tend to eat at hotel restaurants.
The location is fantasic and you can walk everywhere! If you don't like to walk you may want to drive to the mansions.

This is one the nicest hotels we have stayed at and we would definitely return!

Room Tip: We really loved our suite that was located on the third floor with dormers. There was a separate sit...
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We have been to Newport may times and have stayed at nice hotels and bed and breakfast over the years but the Vanderbilt Grace is truly a gem of a hotel. From champagne breakfasts to roof top deck libations with views that are breathtaking the Vanderbilt Grace does it ALL right. The staff is warm and friendly with sincere interest in making your stay a memorable one. Our room although small was clean and comfortable and preferred to spend our time in the garden area or just "out and about" the Newport area. Our next trip to the hotel will include a reservation to the beautiful Muse restaurant. I'm so happy we chose to stay at the Vanderbilt Grace and we will certainly be back.....