“Terrible Customer Service and Dirty Hotel”
Review of Grace Vanderbilt

Grace Vanderbilt
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Newport
UK
“Terrible Customer Service and Dirty Hotel”
Reviewed 19 August 2008

I have never written a review of a hotel but was compelled due to my recent stay at the Vanderbilt.

We had a very disappointing stay. The staff on the front desk were very rude. The hotel was surprisingly dirty. We had to clean our bath when we got into our room. Also we had breakfast one morning and when we went back the next day to the same table in the dining room it was clear that nobody had cleaned the floor. Food was simply left on the floor under the table. When I pointed this out to the staff, I was told it was their "policy" only to clean once every 24 hours and not when people left the table! I pointed out that they clearly hadn't cleaned even once every 24 hours. I

Although the building is fantastic I agree with the review below that the furniture, decor is bland to the extreme. The hotel has the feeling of a concept design hotel which has been carried out rather half heartedly. This is a shame as if done properly it could be a great hotel.

The service was gruff and unwelcoming.

Finally do not bring children. The hotel does not want children and I was interested by the review below which suggests the same.

We booked two rooms for us (including our baby of 15 months). I asked for a cot. When I double checked just before we arrived that the cot was available I simply recieved a message saying there was no cot as the hotel only has one but is was being used. No help offered. In fact I was told it was another "policy" to only have one cot. What I find most annoying about this was the manner in which the hotel addressed this and other points - very, very unwelcoming.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Customer Service and Cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
10 Thank SCIJO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Ohio
Reviewed 12 August 2008

I attended a posh wedding in Newport, RI this past weekend and I had no idea where to book our hotel stay so I went to TripAdvisor for some assistance with my lodging choices. Vanderbilt Hall caught my eye as I like to stay at hotels that show the local history & flavor rather than a cookie cutter type bland "chain" hotel. We were in for a pleasant surprise as I checked in to the most chic & clean darling hotel for our wedding weekend! We had the most enjoyable stay at this hotel. We enjoyed a marvelous room and opted for the Loft Suites as it suited our needs perfectly! We had the most delightful breakfast in a very sunlight -filled & gorgeous european-like greenhouse room off the lobby. I felt immediately transported to the south of France! We were pampered beyond expectations from the lovely check-in areas to the wonderful breakfast & food service, the kind housekeeper who brought extra sheets to the room at midnight and the very cute & attentive valets who staffed the entry! Many of our travel companions stayed at the Newport Marriot and lamented on how awful their hotel was. All I kept saying was that we were treated like a Newport mansion millionaire! We felt as pampered as if we were a member of the Vanderbilt family staying at the wonderful Vanderbilt Hall!

1 Thank MegansTrips
larchmont, New York
Reviewed 11 August 2008

This was our 1st time in Newport and at Vanderbilt Hall. The inn sits on a very quiet street right off Thames Street (main street). It is in a great location for everything. The inn is absolutely beautiful. Our room was enormous and was decorated so nicely, as was the entire inn. I love the history of the inn - ask them! The inn is pretty old but the interior is completely new but very charming. The staff is lovely (no concierge to help with touristy things but they tried their best) from making the reservations, to checking in to checking out. I was very impressed by the Vanderbilt Hall. You will not be disappointed, I promise. Not the place for a bunch of small children...too elegant (but they do not discourage it. fyi, I do have children but we came alone). I can't wait for my next stay at Vanderbilt Hall.

• Liked — the beauty of the rooms and the entire inn
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Rye Brook, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2008

I rarely stay at a place twice especially when there are so many choices as there are in Newport but we would not hesitate to go back. Vanderbilt Hall really has the best of both worlds: Old World Charm with modern amenities.
The location can not be beat! We were up the block from Thames which is the main street with restaurants, stores etc. And across the way is the wharf area with the harbor and bars etc. Easy to walk to nightlife. It is not that close to the mansions or Bellevue Ave so we did have to drive to see the mansions and go to the Cliff Walk and beaches.
Every floor and room seem different so I would definately call the hotel directly to discuss room choices. We had a junior suite which had a very interesting set-up. Beautifully decorated with a wonderful bathroom & shower. Luxurious bedding and very nice amenities overall. Our only complaint was the air conditioning. It gets very cold very fast but when lowered does nto go on much and the room is stuffy. So we were either freezing or hot! If we came inthe summer again, we would bring a fan next time.
Parking is a lot $18/day but it is convenient. The staff is accomodating but do not go out of their way, you really must ask for everything you need.
The restaurants: Newport has great ones. Breakfast at our hotel was great, we loved eating out in the garden, service is slow but the servers are nice and the food so good! We did not have time to eat dinner there but the menu looked wonderful. We went to Castle Hill for a special b-day celebration and it was very elegant and long. Make sure you have the time for a 3hour meal. We also enjoyed Fluke and 22 Bowen at Bowen's Wharf for dinners as well as The Mooring for lunch. Good Gelato at Cold Fusion.
I would highly recommend taking a boat ride on the Amazing Grace, you really learn a lot about Newport. We loved the Cliff walk and spending time at Easton's Beach. We stopped at a natural market on Bellevue and picked up some chesses, salami and baguette and it was the perfect lunch sitting seaside at the cliffs for lunch.
If you are doing the Mansion TOur, the 5 mansion deal is the best. we saw 3, and the pass does not expire so can use the other two on our next trip up. We loved the Marble House & the Breakers.
Overall, had an amazing 4 day stay and can not wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smlev02
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 July 2008

Upon trying to book my stay at the Vanderbilt Hall Hotel, I punched in 1 guest for my designated dates to see if there were rooms available. To my delight, there was an abundant choice of room categories available for my dates.

I went back and typed in 2 adults 2 children and all of a sudden there were no rooms available. I did the whole thing again with the same results! I then looked at website to see if there were no children allowed at hotel but could not find policies. The reservation page had children as a choice so I tried to book 2 adult/2 children with two rooms and could not find that option either. Every time I tried 1 or two guests, rooms came up and when I added children, the rooms disappeared. I found this to be suspect so I e-mailed the hotel directly. I explained my issue and asked them their policies. I also asked for rates and availability for two adults and two children for my chosen stay.

I have not yet received any response from the hotel. My request was submitted more than a few days ago. What type of hotel does not respond to a room request and customer inquiry? I am extremely dissappointed in the customer service and reservation practices at this hotel.

To me, this hotel may be beautiful but if the customer service is this iffy, I will be happy to take my business elsewhere.

Stayed July 2008
9 Thank evianlives
VandMgr, Manager at Grace Vanderbilt, responded to this review, 19 July 2008
We sincerely apologize for any problems you experienced while attempting to make a reservation with us at Vanderbilt Hall.
Our property is almost all suites and all rooms (aside from our one two bedroom suite which can not be booked on the internet) have only one king bed. Therefore most rooms only sleep two people comfortably. We do allow children on property and some of our rooms have a pull out sofa in addition to the king bed and therefore could accommodate up to 4 people. We do charge for each additional person ($50 per person, per night). We have had difficulties in the past with guests booking for 4 people and expecting two beds and then only getting a room with a pull out sofa and one bed which is why we have changed the booking options through the internet. We do recommend that any guests with more than 2 people or with any special requests contact the property directly as we will better be able to help you if we clearly understand your needs.
We also apologize for not responding to your email. We do have staff that regularly respond to email inquires and somehow must have missed your email which was an oversight on our part.
We assure you that your experience thus far would not be typical of the experience you would have should you choose to consider staying with us in the future and we sincerely hope you will do so.
Best Regards,
The Staff of Vanderbilt Hall
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 12 July 2008

Vanderbult Staff did a great job with my family's stay last week. "Modern mansion" in the middle of the historic area of Newport, yet completely unpretentious. Beautiful accomodations (we had a 2 level suite w/galley kitchen and 2 baths plus secret stairway up to the rooftop). The restaurant was empty for dinner all 3 nts - so we had the place to ourselves - kids were able to run loose in the greenhouse conservatory to eat. REALLY great menu, chef did a great job. Spinach salad, and gnocchi entree really stood out (2 nts in a row in fact).
Cute touches throughout the hotel ie: flower shaped lollipop cookies at turndown, aveda amenities - true luxury touches.
Staff could not have been more friendly, eager, or genuine. From Tony the Croatian doorman to the waiters to the hotel manager everyone was chatty, sweet to my kids (which doesn't always happen in luxury hotels!) - true hospitality professionals.
The pool and gym were empty the entire time - even though hotel sold out...felt like we have the place to ourselves. (Side note - the showers in the pool area are exceptional - nicer than even the suite shower).
2 thumbs up!!
(We stopped in the larger and more pretentious Viking Hotel down the street - Vanderbilt a better option for people looking to stray from the snooty).

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Some areas of the suite need touching up (minor engineering items) ie carpenters pencil on walls still
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
Reviewed 8 July 2008

We just returned from a short vacation in Newport and I have to say I was pleasntly surprised with Vanderbilt Hall. We were looking to stay at a nice hotel, but the highest recommended ones (such as the Chanler) were prohibitively expensive. We then heard about Vanderbilt Hall from this website and booked it based on everyone else's positive feedback. Those positive comments were all correct! The hotel is classy and elegant. The ceilings in our room were very high (I'm guessing arounf 15 feet) and the rooms were impeccably clean. Our room was equiped with 2 flat screen TV's, a DVD player, refrigerator and microwave oven. All rooms have wireless internet access. The bathroom was bright, clean and elegant. It came with his and hers sinks and I can honestly say that the shower was one of the best showers I've had. I found the staff to be very courteous and offered excellent service with a smile.
Given all of this, I found the pricing of the hotel to be fair. We were able to bargain a bit when we made our reservation and we were also given a complimentary upgrade. Overall, it's not as cheap as some of the bed and breakfasts in the area, but I feel that it was worth the extra money.
The hotel is located in the hub of the city, near many of the shops and restaurants and a short five minute walk to the main wharf. Getting to the mansions and cliff walk is best reached by car.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)