“Room was bigger than my first apartment!!!”

The Vanderbilt Grace
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Long Island, NY
“Room was bigger than my first apartment!!!”
Reviewed 4 September 2008

Stayed at the Vanderbilt hotel in July for my daughters wedding with a group of my family. They are all still raving about what a beautiful hotel it was. The hotel is tastefully decorated with a mix of modern and antique pieces ( i may steal some of the decorating tips for my own home) My room was giant with a spacious living room a large bedroom that looked out on the harbor it was the cleanest hotel i have ever stayed in. The shower was the best in my life and they use aveda bath products which i love. I can't comment on the price as my daughter paid for the room as a thank you gift, but my relatives said it was similar to the viking up the street. The hotel is ideally located and we walked almost everywhere. After the rehearsal dinner we went up to the roof deck for an amazing sunset toast it was so comfortable we didn't leave until after 10 pm the beds were very comfortable and it was a lovely weekend by all who attended. I can't wait to go back and my cousin has already planned her return trip!

• Liked — Shower, location, room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
London, UK
Reviewed 2 September 2008

Stayed here for Labor Day weekend in one of their loft suites. A little pricey perhaps - $425 rack rate, but it was extremely spacious, split on two floors, and my wife liked the fact I could treat downstairs as my den, while she could keep the upstairs area a little more refined....

This hotel is fantastic if you are a certain type, if not you won't like it. That is not to criticize either the hotel or the reader, but a simple fact.

The hotel is relatively small and boutique in style. The rooms and communal areas are deliberately modern and minimalist - if you don't like that sort of place, don't stay here, there are plenty of place in town to stock up on chintz. The bar is fun, for pre-dinner drinks there were always a few people there chatting away. Grab a glass of wine and hit the roof terrace at sunset and you'll see great views, and likely have a fun time.

Personally, I wouldn't have dinner at the hotel as there are better places in town or worse places with better views.

By their own admission, they are not child-friendly. That doesn't mean they are anti-children but if you want to bring the little one, you'll need to be self-sufficient. We met a few people there with children who didn't have a problem with that - they knew when they booked, and they welcomed going to a place that caters to adult and not a kids club.

If you like hotel staff to be unduly obseqious you won't like it here either. The staff are charming, friendly and very effecient, they just aren't servile. If you want that, go to the Chandler.

I

• Liked — Funky atmosphere, with good fellow guests.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Birmingham, UK
Reviewed 31 August 2008

There are many plus points to the Vanderbilt. First of all is its location, just off the main street and close to a number of excellent bars and restaurants. The hotel has recently been refurbished and all the furnishings and fittings are absolutley spotless. The rooms are great, big comfy beds, excellent TVs, also our room had a fine selection of books. The air-conditioning and the fridge are good but both made a lot of noise.
Couple of issues, one is its expensive we paid $320.00 for a room with no breakfast. The rooms are very good but at this rate you would expect nothing less.
The next bit is difficult to say without being rude, but the staff are a little bit ...... vacant. Their energy levels seem low and they just don't seem so bright. As an example we asked on a couple of occasions how long was the drive to the Block Island ferry, and both times the staff member looked at us as though we had requested an explanation of Einstein's theory of relativity. Both times we got different and wrong answers. For anyone interested it takes bout 45minutes, but leave an hour if you have to buy tickets etc. The islands beautiful but don't go on a sunny weekend day ,as we did, because it's jammed.
I would go back to the Vanderbilt because of its location and the fact it is a beautifully appointed hotel. However the guy in charge of staff recruitment and training has a bit of work to do. If he wants to see how it should be done visit the Hotel Providence in, funnily enough, Providence.
Must give a mention to the Newport Fastnet bar, traditional Irish pub. The owner, a native of County Cork, opened the pub at 7.30AM to allow me to watch a live English soccer game. Also on Sunday evening they have a group of musicians doing jigs and reels and there's always a good atmosphere. Only a 5 minute walk from the hotel and worth a visit.

• Liked — Location, room
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank des&patricia
UK
Reviewed 19 August 2008

I have never written a review of a hotel but was compelled due to my recent stay at the Vanderbilt.

We had a very disappointing stay. The staff on the front desk were very rude. The hotel was surprisingly dirty. We had to clean our bath when we got into our room. Also we had breakfast one morning and when we went back the next day to the same table in the dining room it was clear that nobody had cleaned the floor. Food was simply left on the floor under the table. When I pointed this out to the staff, I was told it was their "policy" only to clean once every 24 hours and not when people left the table! I pointed out that they clearly hadn't cleaned even once every 24 hours. I

Although the building is fantastic I agree with the review below that the furniture, decor is bland to the extreme. The hotel has the feeling of a concept design hotel which has been carried out rather half heartedly. This is a shame as if done properly it could be a great hotel.

The service was gruff and unwelcoming.

Finally do not bring children. The hotel does not want children and I was interested by the review below which suggests the same.

We booked two rooms for us (including our baby of 15 months). I asked for a cot. When I double checked just before we arrived that the cot was available I simply recieved a message saying there was no cot as the hotel only has one but is was being used. No help offered. In fact I was told it was another "policy" to only have one cot. What I find most annoying about this was the manner in which the hotel addressed this and other points - very, very unwelcoming.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Customer Service and Cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
10 Thank SCIJO
Ohio
Reviewed 12 August 2008

I attended a posh wedding in Newport, RI this past weekend and I had no idea where to book our hotel stay so I went to TripAdvisor for some assistance with my lodging choices. Vanderbilt Hall caught my eye as I like to stay at hotels that show the local history & flavor rather than a cookie cutter type bland "chain" hotel. We were in for a pleasant surprise as I checked in to the most chic & clean darling hotel for our wedding weekend! We had the most enjoyable stay at this hotel. We enjoyed a marvelous room and opted for the Loft Suites as it suited our needs perfectly! We had the most delightful breakfast in a very sunlight -filled & gorgeous european-like greenhouse room off the lobby. I felt immediately transported to the south of France! We were pampered beyond expectations from the lovely check-in areas to the wonderful breakfast & food service, the kind housekeeper who brought extra sheets to the room at midnight and the very cute & attentive valets who staffed the entry! Many of our travel companions stayed at the Newport Marriot and lamented on how awful their hotel was. All I kept saying was that we were treated like a Newport mansion millionaire! We felt as pampered as if we were a member of the Vanderbilt family staying at the wonderful Vanderbilt Hall!

1 Thank MegansTrips
larchmont, New York
Reviewed 11 August 2008

This was our 1st time in Newport and at Vanderbilt Hall. The inn sits on a very quiet street right off Thames Street (main street). It is in a great location for everything. The inn is absolutely beautiful. Our room was enormous and was decorated so nicely, as was the entire inn. I love the history of the inn - ask them! The inn is pretty old but the interior is completely new but very charming. The staff is lovely (no concierge to help with touristy things but they tried their best) from making the reservations, to checking in to checking out. I was very impressed by the Vanderbilt Hall. You will not be disappointed, I promise. Not the place for a bunch of small children...too elegant (but they do not discourage it. fyi, I do have children but we came alone). I can't wait for my next stay at Vanderbilt Hall.

• Liked — the beauty of the rooms and the entire inn
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Rye Brook, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2008

I rarely stay at a place twice especially when there are so many choices as there are in Newport but we would not hesitate to go back. Vanderbilt Hall really has the best of both worlds: Old World Charm with modern amenities.
The location can not be beat! We were up the block from Thames which is the main street with restaurants, stores etc. And across the way is the wharf area with the harbor and bars etc. Easy to walk to nightlife. It is not that close to the mansions or Bellevue Ave so we did have to drive to see the mansions and go to the Cliff Walk and beaches.
Every floor and room seem different so I would definately call the hotel directly to discuss room choices. We had a junior suite which had a very interesting set-up. Beautifully decorated with a wonderful bathroom & shower. Luxurious bedding and very nice amenities overall. Our only complaint was the air conditioning. It gets very cold very fast but when lowered does nto go on much and the room is stuffy. So we were either freezing or hot! If we came inthe summer again, we would bring a fan next time.
Parking is a lot $18/day but it is convenient. The staff is accomodating but do not go out of their way, you really must ask for everything you need.
The restaurants: Newport has great ones. Breakfast at our hotel was great, we loved eating out in the garden, service is slow but the servers are nice and the food so good! We did not have time to eat dinner there but the menu looked wonderful. We went to Castle Hill for a special b-day celebration and it was very elegant and long. Make sure you have the time for a 3hour meal. We also enjoyed Fluke and 22 Bowen at Bowen's Wharf for dinners as well as The Mooring for lunch. Good Gelato at Cold Fusion.
I would highly recommend taking a boat ride on the Amazing Grace, you really learn a lot about Newport. We loved the Cliff walk and spending time at Easton's Beach. We stopped at a natural market on Bellevue and picked up some chesses, salami and baguette and it was the perfect lunch sitting seaside at the cliffs for lunch.
If you are doing the Mansion TOur, the 5 mansion deal is the best. we saw 3, and the pass does not expire so can use the other two on our next trip up. We loved the Marble House & the Breakers.
Overall, had an amazing 4 day stay and can not wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple