“Vanderbilt -- complete class, comfort, and value”
Review of Grace Vanderbilt

Grace Vanderbilt
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 14 June 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Vanderbilt in August of 2007, and again in August of 2008. The latter of the two visits was with another couple.

The draw to me regarding the hotel is the location. Slightly off the beaten path of Newport's Thames Street, I liked how this hotel had an aura of its own. Located near a Starbuck's, and some neat little shops feature crepes, coffees, wraps, etc., not to mention the Banana Republic, Express, at night you can't even hear the at times noisy nightlife. The view from the roof is outstanding. You can bring a bottle of wine up, start the evening watching the sun set. We actually celebrated the engagement of the couple on the rooftop, truly memorable.

The staff was very accomodating in having our room ready both times we came at that moment. Room service was quick, and the food was truly delicious.

The rooms were extremely spacious, and minimally decorated to preserve the history and feel of the past. The beds were enormous, packed with pillows you just wanted to jump into...and sheets were so soft and cozy! We stayed in a suite, so before dinner, my wife and I could cozy up in the living room in our robes, watching some TV on the LCD or even popping in a DVD. If we wanted to lay in bed, we'd have the luxury of having another LCD within perfect viewing distance.

Everything is walking distance, from Ocean Drive (I'd rent a bike though), to great restaurants like the Mooring, Red Parrot, Lucia, Sardella's, and great bars like White Horse, or Cafe Zelda.

Newport is a great stop for a weekend, with so many attractions. Aside from the mansions, the beaches are a stone's throw away, not to mention the Tennis Hall of Fame.

Don't forget to take advantage of the breakfast at the Vanderbilt, as it's also very good. Lastly, check out the downstairs as they have a pool and exercise room. Vanderbilt is perfect for a luxurious, private getaway. Extremely comfortable, and most importantly, clean, you will NOT be disappointed. Tell Caron at the desk I sent you!! She's the best!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank balaskonis
There are newer reviews for Grace Vanderbilt

Reviewed 13 June 2009

Great location, right off great shopping and restaurants on Thames Street; walking distance to the the International Tennis Hall of Fame; and other great spots.

The hotel is clean, bright, has a sophisticated yet comfortable style. The rooms are spacious and relaxing...had to drag ourselves outside.

On-site parking and helpful staff.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel for a little get-a-way. Living in the area I had rarely heard of this place, but was reccommended by a recent guest. We couldn't believe how beautiful it was! First of all, it was the cleanest hotel I have ever been in. Our room was absolutely spectacular. It gave you an instant sense of peace and tranquility. It had such a soothing decor, the two bathrooms; one with a claw foot soaking tub and the other with a double-head shower, the AVEDA products, the choclate covered fruit by the bed (which was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in) and the giant closet equipt with two plush robes. We met Aggie, the manager and she was knowlegeable and genuinely concerned that we had everything we needed to have the best experience possible. The price for our recent trip was very reasonable, especially for what we recieved. I would reccommend this place to any local for a romantic overnight, or any toursist who wants to be right in the middle of Newport, yet just far enough away so you aren't disturbed by the nightlife noise.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RiSusie
Reviewed 27 October 2008

Hotel is centrally located, clean, modern and relatively inexpensive. We were able to walk all of downtown. Staff was helpful. We will definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2008

We stayed here for weekend in August. The hotel is central to all things Newport and has a lot of charm. The rooms are large, and the staff very pleasant. It felt like coming home. When in Newport, stay here.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2008

When reading through reviews I generally try to discount the ones where people rant and rave about a bad experience....every hotel gets these. Therefore, upon writing my first review on Trip advisor I am steadying myself to try and give a honest an account as possible.

The good frist!! The location is excellent. Walking distance to the harbour and dozens of restaurants and shops. The local attractions such as the mansions and ocean drive are only a short car journey away also, so all good there. The bathrooms were surprisingly the highlight of the stay as they were really well decorated and equipped. The room itself was of a good standard, with a really comfortable bed and an excellent TV set up. The air conditioning was however incredibly loud and did wake us up a couple of times in the night but could obviously be solved by turning it off.

As from my title, you may well guess the service was not up to scratch. When we arrived we were early. We did not expect our room to be ready and would understand if it wasn't but without even asking the question the first thing we were told by the check-in employee was "You're early, you're room wont be ready for a couple of hours". Hardly the New England welcoming we had been experiencing over the past couple of weeks. A little put out by this and not particularly caring either way I asked the guy to check when it would be ready and he grumpily radioed the cleaners where he was told it would only be 15 minutes. Surely feeling a little embarressed by now he said we could have it shortly.

The general feel of the hotel was like a morge. Admittedly it was quiet but there was little atmosphere in the common areas where staff either looked the other way or were busy gossiping among themselves at the check in desks. We had been experiencing such wonderful hospitality from everyone we had me in the area, their aloofness was even more evident.

The final thing that annoyed me was when we checked out. The bill was given to me whereby I saw I had been charged for nearly a dozen free phone calls, some costing me in excess of $7. I asked about whether this was right and all I received was a shrug of the shoulders and the ever frustrating phrase "Company policy sir". I suppose I at least got a sir at the end of the sentence!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank map50
Reviewed 18 September 2008

1) The hotel is amazing. A great deal of care went into refurbishing the Vanderbilt. Instead of being dark and ornate, or excessively quaint and colonial, the Vanderbilt is bright, open and immaculate. They have perfectly balanced preserving a historic building with creating a tastefully modern environment. The rooms are huge. They are filled with interesting books and beautiful furniture. Even the plumbing fixtures are unique. And the incredibly comfortable bed lives up to its surroundings. Don't miss sunset over the harbor from the roof deck.

2) The hotel is staffed by a group of young people who obviously love the place. A familial atmosphere exists. Everyone is happy to be working with each other and they're all enthusiastic about the hotel. The enthusiasm is infectious. People play multiple roles. The waiter from breakfast might be your bartender in the afternoon. The woman at the front desk is also the desert chef. You get to know everone, enhancing the personal level of service.

3) The food at the Vanderbilt is excellent and reasonably priced.

4) Great location, 1/2 block north of Thames. Right downtown, but far enough removed to avoid noise and crowds.

It's a new place, so there are a few bugs. More of an effort should be made to advise guests about hotel amenities. The bar isn't in the most obvious location. We didn't know about the roof deck until our bartender took us upstairs to show us the great view. The pool and spa can be tricky to reach from one of the 2 elevators. While waiting for a massage my wife and I had to look through drawers in the treatment rooms to find robes. Minor details in an otherwise perfect stay.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)