“A 50th Birthday to remember”
Review of Grace Vanderbilt

Grace Vanderbilt
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 12 April 2010

My brother booked my sister-inlaws surprise 50th birthday party at Vanderbilt hall. What an amazing hotel. Everything was beyond our expectations. We stayed in 13 of the 33 rooms/suites. They were large and Luxurious to say the least. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive . They went out of there way to make sure everything went off without a hitch. They are just finishing a multi million dollar renovation. I can't imagine what the end result will be. A world class hotel I'm sure. It was evening we will all remember for a very long time. Thanks Again Caron

• Stayed: February 2010

Reviewed 21 March 2010

This was rated the #1 hotel in Newport before our trip - we haven't stayed at other hotels there yet, but this hotel didn't disappoint. Service everywhere was friendly and attentive. Location is perfect, everything is walking distance. We had the loft suite, which was very interesting and cool. Lots of nice touches, and by the summer I believe they will have the rooftop deck ready with jacuzzi, will be even nicer. Breakfast was good as well.

Would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Au contraire to the previous posting that this hotel lacks charm. Vanderbilt Hall exudes ultimate charm and more. Recently reinvented by Peter de Savary, the hotel offers more charm than one can ever expect. I recently stayed with the hotel in a lovely room offering the very best and latest in creature comforts. The staff is exceptional, the service is world-class, and what Peter de Savary has brought to this hotel is a whole new level of hospitality for Newport. I cannot say enough. Monty's Pub and Dining Room is comfortable and intimate and offers not only local seasonal dishes, but my favorite British comforts. And, the one thing that I cannot comment enough on is the old world gilded age glamour that this hotel offers. De Savary's private collection of American Illustration Art adds marvelous ambience that very few other hotels offer. Bravo Vanderbilt Hall. You are what Newport has been waiting for!

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2010

I used to stay at Vanderbilt Hall quite often and loved it. The hotel had so much old world charm and each room had a decorative theme. It felt so intimate and welcoming. Its quirkiness made it one of my favorite hotels in America. I loved the painted mural around the pool, the wall paintings in the lobby and elevator and I could never wait to check in to see what themed room I'd be residing in. I remember one that had Asian vases all over and the bathroom had a huge claw foot tub and tiled fireplace next to it. And another that was more Americana and had a spiral staircase to a quiet loft area.

A few years ago, this hotel underwent a major renovation. The rooms were either converted into times shares or turned into modern luxury rooms. They are still attractive, but the charm and personality is no longer there. I considered working with them for a room block for my wedding a few years ago, but they were still in Time Share mode and made it difficult to hold space without a host of caveats. We ended up using the Viking instead, which I love and spend all my Newport trips at now. Still, I miss the magic that old Vanderbilt Hall used to have and wish it didn't now look like every other luxury hotel in every other city in America.

Stayed: May 2007
3  Thank RobynPringTravel
Reviewed 1 January 2010

small- dark and no dining. Why bother with this " some day we will have what you expect ", when the Viking Hotel is around the corner. have stayed at both - next time its the Viking.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank JohnTravelingGuy
Reviewed 27 November 2009

Stayed at Vanderbilt Hall last weekend and had a wonderful time. The loft room (living room and half bath on one floor, open bedroom and full bath on second) was so spacious and different from other places we have stayed. Nice juxtaposition of modern furnishings and old building. I'm picky on cleanliness, so it was a pleasant surprise that the room and bathrooms were spotless. The staff were very friendly and helpful with restaurant recommendations. Massages were good, as was included breakfast. Just a perfect weekend getaway--and I highly recommend this time of year--no crowds, low prices, sales at stores, and beautiful holiday decorations at the mansions.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2009

We needed a weekend away and didn't want to drive far from Boston. We decided on Newport and the Vanderbilt Hall Hotel based on other reviews. The hotel was perfect, just what we were looking for. We had a clean, comfortable and modern room and the service was great. Despite the rainy weather, the hotel provided a perfect weekend get away for us. It is walking distance to the shops, bars and great Newport restaurants. We had a glass of wine in front of the fire in the lounge and just relaxed. We also both booked a massage at the spa which was good. Breakfast was included in our rate and it was fine. The hotel is undergoing a management change so it seemed like the restaurant/bar area was in transition. Its a great space so I hope they take advantage!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple