“Fabulous Resort”
Review of Grace Vanderbilt

Grace Vanderbilt
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We stayed at Vanderbilt Hall after seeing an ad in the 'Exclusive Property' magazine in the departure hall of Heathrow airport. right before we flew. It looked great on paper and lived up to all expectations. De Savary was there whilst we stayed and also made us feel very welcome. Stayed at another de Savary resort (The Carey Arms in the UK) earlier this summer and loved it.
There is a stylish European feel to the hotel and the staff are incredibly friendly and polite. Cocktails on the roof terrace ... stylish and romantic; thoroughly recommend it!
All in all a very enjoyable stay and i fully intend to come back next summer for a bit longer.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 August 2010

Tried to book rooms with the most inefficient reservation agent I have ever had to deal with. Could not get the dates, credit card, address...correct. The GM could have cared less or helped in recitifying the situation - Then it turned out they would not honor the reservations they just made because of some foul up by the res agent. realized unfortunately that their grandness has effected the hotels attitude, that is when you know they have lost their humbleness & ability to provide true guest service! What a shame.

Stayed: August 2010
7  Thank margaux11
VandMgr41, Owner at Grace Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2010

Dear Sir:

I regret the confusion over your reservation. We were happy that we could offer you a reduced rate for the Thursday night that you booked. The reduced rate offer was only available Sunday through Thursday. You requested that the same rate be applicable on a Friday and Saturday in a suite. As you would expect, we do not offer reductions on the weekends, particularly during high season. We are sorry that you were offended at the suggestion you should pay the normal weekend tariff. It is a matter of great concern to us that anyone be upset at dealings with Vanderbilt Hall and we do regret this in your case. I offered an apology to you over the phone and also sent a written apology to you at the email address you provided. That apology included complimentary spa treatments for you and your wife on your next visit here. It is unfortunate to see this posting about Vanderbilt Hall which is not reflective of our very friendly behavior to everyone.

I must say we find your posting to be unfair. Travel forum reviews can be a wonderfully informative source of information for the benefit of a guest and the property. Sadly the threat of a negative review can also be used for negotiating purposes which is not the intent of the travel forum.

You can be assured of a very warm and friendly welcome to Vanderbilt Hall should you decide to book with us in the future at whatever the prevailing tariffs are on the dates that you request.

On behalf of the Vanderbilt Hall owner and its mangement, we deeply regret your posting on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 10 August 2010

Vanderbilt Hall is a gem in the middle of Newport. I've travelled often to Newport but this was the first time I've stayed at Vanderbilt Hall. Actually it was the first I had even heard of Vanderbilt Hall! I usually stay at the Viking. There are a ton of charming B&Bs in Newport of course but we prefer bigger properties. VH's location is perfect, right in the middle of town and just off Thames Street, within walking distance to so many great restaurants and shops. A five minute drive to Cliff Walk/Bellevue Avenue. It is newly refurbished hotel but retains all the charm of its 19th century origins; the decor of the common areas is fantastic and chic. Because it is in the middle of town (just where we prefer to be!) the grounds are not extensive but they are perfect and breathtaking; an utterly charming garden with lush hydrangea, a gorgeous outdoor seating area and a small but lovely pool. A sunset cocktail on the roof deck is a must: one of the most magnificent views of Newport I've seen! I loved our room, a suite with a kitchenette; it had a luxurious bathroom and we had a fantastic night sleep! Service was impeccable, friendly and professional; they really went the extra mile on several requests. There is an intimate feeling to the hotel (30 something rooms I think) without having the oppressive feel of a B&B. We totally loved it. Now that we know about it, it will be our go-to spot....it's obviously really expensive but so is Newport in general (especially in the summer). If we can, though, I will stay here on every future visit to Newport. In my opinion, it was totally worth the cost. Do note though that this is an in-town property it doesn't really have a resort or beachy vibe - if that's what you are going for, try the Castle Inn. That being said, I think Vanderbilt Hall's location is perfection. Highly, highly recommended. A treat to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Vanderbilt Hall for three lovely days in mid-July. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone who wants quiet luxury, a friendly professional service and a simply beautiful environment to relax in. Whoever decorated the hotel knows exactly what they're doing - not only is it full of beautiful pieces of antique furniture and art but it also just feels right comfortable and opulent but not pompous or grandiose. Our room was not one of the more expensive ones but it was beautifully decorated. The bathroom was lush - acres of room, a lovely shower and aveda products. A wonderful touch is the little guide to Newport which is published by the hotel. All visitors get a complimentary copy and we made good use of ours. The people working at the hotel are really nice. Kara the Club Secretary whom we met at breakfast on our first morning gave us some really good tips on what to do in Newport. She recommended a concert at the Breakers which we attended and really enjoyed - thank you Kara. I had a 90 minute manicure and pedicure in the spa with Jomel who was delightful - really friendly and fun to chat with. The receptionist who arranged our reservation over the phone and whom we met during our visit, Tara, was also wonderful - lovely combination of warmth and professionalism - couldn't ask for a nicer welcome. The breakfast at Monty's bar was very nice - a good variety of mostly English-style breakfast dishes. The plunge pool in the garden surrounded by loungers was a lovely quiet place to relax and soak up the sun, and there was a really good indoor exercise pool in the spa.

There were a couple of little negatives which hardly mattered and certainly will not put me off staying at the Vanderbilt again but which I think it's probably useful to mention as without them our stay would have been perfect, and perfection is what the Vanderbilt seems to be aiming for. First up, my bedside reading light did not work, which put me out a bit as I had to keep the main light on to read and get out of bed to switch it off before sleeping. I told them about the problem straight away on the first evening we were there, but three days later the light was still unusable. The main light also went on the last evening, but that was just before we left so it didn't matter. Secondly the air conditioner in our room blasted out an absolute gale of cold air. We could control the temperature off a digital display on the wall, but not the strength of the fan. The unit was right next to my side of the bed so I didn't sleep as well as I could have done, both because I was in a draught and because it was quite noisy. I eventually hunted around and found a wooden panel on the unit cover under which there were some dials which allowed me to turn the fan strength down to low - it was fine after that - but maybe it should be left on low when it's so close to the bed.

But all in all, double thumbs up - we had a really nice few days of luxury and we'll certainly go back if we're ever in that part of the world again. We're thinking of trying The Cary Arms in Devon, England, at some point which is run by the same people.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Our stay at the Vanderbilt was more enjoyable than we ever expected, not knowing anything about the hotel before we came. The hotel is impeccable! The rooms are spacious and clean and the bathrooms are fantastic. From the second we got out of our car, to the time we left, the staff couldn't be any nicer and more helpful, to make your stay enjoyable. There is a rooftop lounge that has the most amazing views of Newport and is just a pleasure to sit and relax up there. The spa is beautiful and the massage I got and the facial my wife had, were top notch. To say the least, I been coming to Newport for over 20 years and I never expected to find a place like this and so close to town.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2010

We just returned from two nights at the Vanderbilt and loved it there. The hotel is beautiful like described in all the prior reviews and the staff is excellent. We brought along our 19 month old son and had no problems with him. The staff brought us a crib and got it all set up for us. The room was huge and had a nice separate sitting area which was perfect for him to sleep in. We were able to enjoy the new outdoor pool and had it all to ourselves. We had breakfast outside one morning and the food was very tasty. We also met the owner who seemed like a wonderful man and a gracious host. Now my only complaint would be the room service. I'm still not sure if it's offered at the hotel? It is listed on the website and in some paperwork we had seen but when I inquired twice I was told that it is not offered. We would have loved to ordered in. Other than that no problems and we will be back again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I've been coming to Newport,R.I. for more than 30 years, but never had a chance to stay at this beautiful hotel. The location is perfect for going to all the great Newport mansions (5-10 minutes drive) or simply walk to all popular restaurants on the waterfront. Elegantly decorated spacious rooms, excellent spa with first-rate care and a terrific in-door swimming pool helped so much in my intense schedule at the Newport Music Festival as an artist.. My whole family enjoyed always friendly & helpful stuff, and a delicious restaurant and the breakfast room.
It certainly enhanced my Newport Experience and I look forward to many more visits there in the future.
Dmitry Sitkovetsky