“A Great Getaway Rental”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Thames Street Guest House
Ranked #50 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This review is long overdue as I stayed at the Thames Guest house with my wife and toddler last summer at the end of August. We had a wonderful time. The owners were so personable and friendly and their dog, Onyx, kept my toddler mesmerized (and entertained, which allowed me some extra minutes of respite). We stayed in the back part of the house with our own kitchen but also we enjoyed the fresh breakfast muffins that the owners baked every morning. We also had access to a great backyard hammock and, really important, a parking spot in an area with limited parking options. The property is a short walk to the scenic parts of Newport. I would highly recommend this place and the only reason we are not booking it again this summer is that we have other family obligations that won't allow us the time off to return here. I definitely hope to get back there in the somewhat near future.

Room Tip: The Garden Apartment is great for a small family, because it allows you the option to cook your own...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I couldn't believe we found this place! My husband and I were looking for a get-a-way over Columbus Day Weekend and I started searching the web. This bed and breakfast came up on trip advisor as "the blue suite" We have not had great experiences with bed and breakfast type accomodations. However, after reading all the reviews we decided to book. The owners are wonderful and very personable. It's a fantastic location, quiet, but close to most everything. My husband and I are walkers, so we never moved our car in the three days we were there. We even walked to the cliff walk which was a little longer but definitely do-able. The house is quiet and the room (the blue suite) was very spacious and comfortable. It truly felt like you were at a relatives home. They have a dog but he is very well behaved and beautiful! The price is great and we will definitely stay here again when we are in Newport!.

Room Tip: We've seen all the rooms and they are very spacious and clean.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2013

15 Thames St was the perfect place for us to stay during our trip to Newport. Minutes walk from downtown and located in the historical district. The rooms were lovely, clean and comfortable. Gary & Pat went out of their way to help us and couldn't have been better hosts. Thank you so much, we will be back!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Thames Guest House was a fantastic little abode for a girls weekend in Newport this summer. The location was fantastic - just a few blocks walking from LOTS of shops and restaurants - and also a short distance from many Newport attractions. Beautiful and comfortable rooms and delicious muffins in the morning! The owners and residents of the house are incredibly warm and friendly and the company of their beautiful dog Onyx was an added bonus. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this property to anyone visiting Newport and plan to stay here again in the future!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank pbn87
Reviewed 18 June 2013

The Guest House is in a great location, near to everything. The owners couldn't be friendlier or more helpful. The place was very clean and bright. There was plenty of room for my family and children. A great backyard and patio made eating outside a pleasure. We hope to return. I highly recommend staying there.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Bernard M
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We had an amazing time staying at Thames House in the Blue Suite. It was our first time in Newport and Pat made us feel extremely welcome and gave us so much info on what to do and where to go. Her and her daughter were so hospitable and made us feel like we were staying with family. The continental breakfast was perfect with lots of fresh fruit, many cereals, cakes, homemade muffins, tea and coffee to choose from. The room and bathroom were totally spotless with even toiletries provided. The king sized bed was super comfortable and our room felt like a relaxing escape. The house is walking distance to all the action in Newport and we were thrilled to find such a great place our first time here. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The Blue Room is the only room with bathroom in the room but it doesn't really matter because th...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank sonyaod
Reviewed 14 February 2012

The negative points made by the reviewer freewingy below are somewhat factually correct, but I could put a different spin on it. I like staying with relatives, even if I have to spend $250, so I guess our perspectives are different.
The owners are warm people. They have guests who have been visiting for over a decade; they even attended the wedding of the guests' daughter. We parked in a resident parking zone and did not use the resident tag from the hotel, but they took care to put in their business card in the windscreen with a note for the cops in case we got ticketed. We had visited some common places, so we had stories to share. Very good food recommendations.
The accomodation is well-furnished, but fairly basic, in terms of the location of the bathroom, type of mattress, kind of breakfast, type of TV, lack of central air, etc., but I tend not to care about these issues. I enjoyed the conversations, and will gladly stay there again. Apologies for the delayed review.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends