“Better options in Newport”

The Gas Lamp Grille
Ranked #57 of 249 Restaurants in Newport
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This review is done by someone who has lived in Newport for many years and has dined in the majority of restaurants in Newport and the surrounding towns. The menu has quite a few options from burgers to seafood and steak entrees. The atmosphere is more like a bar than a restaurant. If you choose to dine later in the evening the restaurant has a band starting around 9 to 10pm. I have eaten here a few times and I would suggest not choosing the steak or seafood options as they tend to be poorly cooked and well done. The scallop and seafood dishes tend to be well done on more than one visit to the restaurant, and needed to be cooked again. The prices are typical for Newport (entrees $20 to $30 dollars) and I do not have a problem paying for properly cooked and well presented food but the chefs have failed on more than one visit. Another review stated that they have the best chowder ever, and I have had chowder throughout New England and I must disagree. Service by the wait staff is also poor, however I have found that dining at bar tends to have above average service. This restaurant fails from food quality, price, and especially ambience and I would recommend you dine elsewhere in Newport, unless you are looking for a burger and a drink at the bar.

1  Thank SeanH1999

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I dropped into this restaurant alone right at the end of the lunch rush. 1st, their lunch specials were a bargain. Soup, half sandich, and a side of pasta salad for around $6. The service was good and the building itself was very historical feeling.
But the clam chowder was, hands down, the best chowder I have ever eaten. It was so good that I bought a bowl to take back to the hotel for supper.
This was my first trip to New England and I tried the local chowder at every restaurant that served it. 6 cups in six days. And this was the best.

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Girls weekend in Newport, first restaurant we chose. On a busy Friday night was crowded but service was very good. Drinks and food served very quickly and not too pricey. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Tasty food & service was good, but It was very loud in the dining room as the bar area became crowded very quickly. Got lucky and was able to catch some of the hockey game while we were eating. So for me thats a bonus!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our meal here. We had the best sirloin tips ever!! Served with delicious linguine. The guy at the bar was really friendly and helpful. In fact he ended up being our server too as they were a little short of staff! The restaurant was busy with a good atmosphere and mix of diners. Wine and beer were good. If you're in Newport try the sirloin tips here. Would recommend.

Been to The Gas Lamp Grille? Share your experiences!