“Good is not enough”
Review of Willy's burger bar + rotisserie - CLOSED

Willy's burger bar + rotisserie
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We were looking for a casual place to have a late meal that didn't have a long wait. As we walked down Thames we noticed Willies and decided to try them. The wait was short even though they were busy and we were able to get a drink at the bar. However, there were people at the bar that had been sitting there for a long time and they had not even been served a drink.
We were seated within 10 min which we were pleased with. That's where it started to go south.
The waitress was pleasant and attentive but after we ordered it took forever to get our meal. About 30 minutes later our meal came. My husband had a hamburger which was good. I ordered an Ahi Burger. It was served on a large bun but the Ahi itself was so small that I was only able to get 4 pieces before I was done. What little I had was good but for the price it wasn't worth it.
I realize they are new and there are always little problem that occur but this was ridiculous.
This is Newport and good is not enough.

2  Thank Kathyfranklin14

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We went here for dinner our first night in town. They had an outside patio so we were able to dine there with our dog, which we appreciated. While the food was good, the wait for it was extremely long. We didn't bother returning, as it wasn't worth the aggravation.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We were so excited to try "Willys". But...We should have turned around when there was no wait at 7pm on a busy Saturday night in Newport. We thought it was just undiscovered, well we thought wrong. The hostess was pleasant and personable and sat us right away however, our dining experience went down hill from there. We had plenty of time to look over the menu as our waitress did not greet us for quite some time. When she did offer us a beverage we inquired about the beer selection, the waitress knew nothing about the beverage menu and could not answer any questions. So we ordered our meals and we noticed the table sit down next to us. Then we watched the table next to us get their drinks and a little while longer get their meals! Looking at the kitchen window we noticed our food sitting there in the window. We watched other waiters look at the food but not take the time to deliver it. Then we took a 2 min video of our food in the window. Yup then we watched our waitress walk by it TWICE! Finally after 10 min. we flagged down the nice hostess and she gave us our meals. Of course when we did get our meals the orders were WRONG. And what did the manager have to say? NOTHING because we never saw one. We will not be returning as I doubt this restaurant will be open after the summer crowds fade and with so many better choices we will spend our $$ elsewhere.

4  Thank travelmonkey17
Reviewed 6 July 2014

overall it was OK. I rated it a solid 3, if you call yourself a "burger Bar" then your burgers better be awesome, which they were not. It is inexpensive and service was good.

1  Thank Maxtcat
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I don't even know where to begin with the horrible evening we had at Willy's. Actually, I shouldn't say that - the folks sitting next to us were lovely, but the rest of the experience was so very disappointing. We had heard good things about the revamped Asterisk and thought we would give it a try. Initial contact with the hostess was lovely. But then we went to the bar . . . there was a wait for tables and an open spot at the bar so we decided to eat there. I got my wine fairly quickly. My husband asked to taste one and then it was a long time until anyone came back to actually get an order from him. We both ordered medium burgers with cheese. On the waiter's recommendation we also ordered a large fry to split. It was a little long for the food to come but it is a busy weekend and it was reasonable. Mine came medium, his came well done. No fries came. When we told the waiter, he made no excuse just said "they'd be right out". I watched him then go to the computer and order them. By this time I needed another glass of wine. Another bartender asked if they could take my glass - I said "no, I'd like another glass of wine". While she acknowledged that, she didn't get it for me. Two requests from my waiter later and finally I had a second glass. My husband had already made his second request but we were still awaiting for that one. And still no fries. Now we both have our second glass of wine, burgers are done and still no fries . . . no apologies. The waiter asked how our meal was. I said "well, average" and he said "oh so good" and I said "no average - actually less than average and we still haven't received our fries." Finally, we'd had enough and asked for the check. Guess what we were billed for . . you got it, the fries. As one bartender gave us the bill, I saw the other one run to get the fries and then put them in front of us. I said we didn't want them and they could just remove them from the bill (which they did). So, I didn't have them but I have to say they looked dry and over fried (like ones that have been in overused oil). But that is speculation.

The atmosphere is ok. It is very casual has nice windows in front that open up for a nice breeze. By the time we were leaving some music was playing and a more "party" mode was going on. I think that might be the crowd they are going for. The bar is very crowded and I think could be a lot of fun if the service was stepped up. I think our initial bartender was training, but no one mentioned that and certainly no one was assisting him to let him know how to do it right.

The most disappointing part was the actual burger. Both were ordered medium and came out completely different temperatures. They were just average burgers too. Nothing special. I can name 5 places in Newport that have much better burgers.

In the end, I won't go back and won't recommend it to anyone else. I would not have given the food a "terrible" probably and "average" and I would have given the value an "average" and the atmosphere an "average" but the TA template won't let me change them. That does not change my overall terrible for the restaurant however.

2  Thank Cliffside-Inn