“Wonderful B&B in Newport.”
Review of Historic Hill Inn

Historic Hill Inn
Ranked #37 of 96 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed at the Historic Hill Inn while we had some work done to our boat in Newport. Richard and Donna are the two nicest and most helpful innkeepers we've met. The inn was comfortable and clean. The location is perhaps the best in Newport, walking distance to everything! By the time we left we felt like family. We will certainly be back! We experienced no real faults at all in our stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frank F

Reviewed 3 August 2013

We are a bunch of friends that gather in Newport at least once a year. We have always stayed at Donna and Richard's Historic Hill Inn. Donna is a wonderful hostess and Richard is really knowledgeable about the area and its attractions. I usually stay in the back apartment and really like the quiet there. The rooms are unfailingly clean, the Inn is close to everything, and the parking is free. We will return.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Phil H
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Richard & Donna Karlovich are the most cooperative innkeepers that I have ever met.
After talking with Richard in the early planning stage, I felt that I knew him, as a friend.
This was a "SUPRSIE PARTY"! I flew family members & friends from many states, so the coordination had to be perfect. When my guests settled inn, they remarked on how clean & organized the historic house was. Richard & Donna helped me pick out "THE LANDING" overlooking the beautiful harbor of Newport where the dinner party was to be held, R&D made sure that the musician played my wife's favorites, & the champagne was chilled perfectly,
A truly wonderful experience! Breakfast was excellent, with a present opening ceremony.
I have to credit Richard & Donna, for creating a truly fulfilling experience.
When visiting Newport RI. the Historic House is "INN"!

Regards to all, Paul & Debra Johnson..

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank paul j
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We booked the double deluxe room in mid-June. It had one bed and a second blow-up bed--- not a real second bed. They moved us to the 2 bedroom apartment when we complained. It was not an upgrade. We sat on the nasty sofa only long enough to make new reservations at a different place for the night. Of course, our $190 deposit was not refunded. Beware. This is possibly the dirtiest, tackiest, most run-down B&B in all Newport. I think they have family and friends write positive reviews. No one who has actually stayed here would give this place more than "terrible".

Room Tip: Book a different B & B
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank lin f
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Located in a quiet location, very convenient to attractions, wonderful hosts, all around a great stay! This is our third visit and will return in the future! The continental breakfast was wonderful. There is seating outside for private parties. Room comes with private parking and everything is within walking distance.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 17San
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My family booked the 2 bedroom apartment for a few nights this July. When we arrived, we were very surprised because the exterior of the house looks only faintly like the photo we saw online. The front walkway is uneven and cracked with loose tiles. It smells like urine, which we realized is perhaps from the house dog that has free rein. I hate to say it because the proprietor seems like a nice man, but the 2 bedroom apartment was dirty; there were spider webs on the ceilings, bugs on the bedroom walls and the furniture was dingy. The footboard in our room fell off and I tripped over it during the night when I went to the bathroom. The toiletries in the bathroom were a mishmash assortment of half-used shampoos and conditioners. When I asked for new bottles of product the proprietor brought me a bottle of hand sanitizer and two bottles of lotion. I went to CVS to buy shampoo/conditioner. Don't even get me started on the tiny and old bathroom.

I am thinking maybe the other rooms have been recently updated. We booked our trip based on the favorable reviews we saw on TripAdvisor. The best thing about the Inn is its location. But really, I want a place that is clean.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank laura r
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Donna and Richard were wonderful hosts and helped to make us feel like we were at home for our 5 day stay. They are very knowledgeable about the surrounding area and are incredibly accommodative. We look forward to coming back!
Ps. Love Brownie the dog!!

• Stayed: July 2013