“A wonderful getaway with extraordinary gluten-free breakfasts!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
The Victoria Skylar Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #42 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“A wonderful getaway with extraordinary gluten-free breakfasts!”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

What a wonderful stay over the 4th of July weekend! Ann and Derek were terrific hosts and made our first experience of Newport truly memorable. Their B&B is conveniently tucked within a beautiful historic neighborhood, which provided the benefit of two wonderfully quiet nights of sleep, while being only a short and scenic walk to the downtown harbor area. Our room (the Slater Room) was nicely appointed and very comfortable and clean. Being gluten-intolerant can be challenging when traveling, however, Ann happily accommodated by fixing an amazing multi-course gluten-free breakfast every morning (homemade scones, cakes, waffles, quiche, and more) and provided a special basket of gluten-free snacks in our room, all of which won the approval of a non-gluten-free boyfriend! They both have a wonderful knowledge of the area and were helpful in giving advice on what to see and do each day. We are already looking forward to planning another trip back to Newport and will definitely plan to stay at the Victoria Skylar Bed and Breakfast again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bha8791

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Proprietors Anne and Derek have created a home-away-from-home in beautiful Newport, Rhode Island. Having worked both in real estate and as a gourmet chef, Anne takes great pride in this bed and breakfast affectionately named for her two granddaughters. Our room, with private bath, was exceptionally clean and well-appointed: water bottles, body wash, DVD selection, a "do not disturb" door hanger, chocolates, a mini-fridge just outside the door, etc. We were very comfortable in this space and thankful that Anne remembered to remove the down bedding as my husband is allergic. Both mornings, we were served scrumptious breakfasts including homemade scones and picture-perfect fruit bowls, french toast, and gluten-free waffles (see pics). Later in the day, while contemplating dining options, we sat on the front porch with snacks and wine, compliments of Victoria Skylar. My husband and I gladly paid the bill at checkout -- though only Visa and MasterCard were welcomed.

NJ
Reviewed 25 June 2013

My wife and I wanted to spend a relaxing weekend in newport and we are very glad we picked the Victoria Skylar! This was our first B&B experience, and we loved it. Everything was very clean and neat, and we loved the charm of the whole place. Breakfast was beyond gourmet, and fantastic! The location is a bit out of the immediate downtown, but the weather was perfect and a short 5-10 min walk into town. Additionally, I found that the prices for the room rates were highly competitive and event less expensive then most other places in town. I would highly recommend the Victoria Skylar, and would easily stay here again.

Room Tip: Any room works.. there are only 4!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My husband and I booked an anniversary weekend in Newport and had an amazing stay! The area is a little bit of a walk from the noise of downtown but that's how we like it. The house is beautiful and spotless and we loved the touch of old-fashioned keys. My husband is gluten intolerant and Ann not only made the entire breakfast (scones, muffins, and all) gluten-free but she left us a basket of gluten-free snacks in our room. When we go back to Newport, we will definitely stay there again.

ny
Reviewed 6 December 2012

As soon as me and my husband arrived we knew it was going to be a great weekend. The BnB was beautiful outside and spotless inside. The inn keepers ann and derek were very helpful with local activities and restaurants, but breakfast at the inn was better than anything else! it was worth the price and truly enjoyable. a really beautiful place...

Room Tip: the hunter and slater rooms are cozy and private
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 November 2012

My wife and I went to Newport, RI for our babymoon recently, and I relied on tripadvisor (of course) to sift through the dozens and dozens of B&B's in the area. The more I read through the reviews, the more I knew the Victoria Skylar was for us!

The Inn itself is wonderful - everything from the architecture, to the accomodations, to (especially!) the food was simply superb! Ann and Derek were such fantastic hosts, and were a pleasure to converse with and get to know throughout our weekend there.

The breakfasts were truly AMAZING - my wife and I agreed that both mornings were amongst the BEST breakfasts we've ever had! The scones, waffles, and eggs were delightful, along with the vast array of breads, fruits, juices, and breakfast meats! I can't stress enough how delicious and amazing breakfast was each morning - you will not be disappointed!! I read through the reviews beforehand thinking "can the breakfasts really be that good?" Well let me tell you, beyond a shadow of a doubt they sure are!

Ann also did an amazing job with gathering a flower arrangement and having snacks and the specific type of sparkling water on hand for my pregnant wife! Ann and Derek also helped out with daily activities, including providing a pass to visit the mansions.

Overall, it was a fantastic time at a truly AMAZING B&B - I highly recommend the Victoria Sklyar to anybody that's traveling to the area!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed 15 August 2012

What a terrific B & B, from the Innkeepers to the immaculate rooms to the AMAZING delightful breakfasts... You need to stay here. This is close to everything yet set back far enough you don't get caught in the hustle and bustle of the Americas Cup Strip... You'll not have to eat lunch since the breakfast Ann makes will last you through!! A+++++

• Stayed August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Newport Marriott
#7 of 95 in Newport
Rhea's Inn and Restaurant
Rhea's Inn and Restaurant
#3 of 9 in Middletown

Been to The Victoria Skylar Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!