“Friendly, clean and affortable” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center

and 1 more site!
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Newport
“Friendly, clean and affortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

Wonderful staff, clean rooms and great restaurant. Family stayed for a youth sailing event 6 miles away. The location is great and the hotel and restaurant staff went above and beyond. The great experence started from the first phone call. The staff was very accomodating to our families needs and when we met them in person, the experience was the same. Great food at their restaurand and reasonable prices. Menu includes lobster, salmon, salads, burgers, etc.
Will return next time we are in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
White Plains,NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

Hotel space in Newport in the summer can be a challenge. The Best Western is all of 2.6 miles from the Breaker's Mansion, and has plenty of free parking. The rooms are comfortable and clean. If you don't want the hassle of parking in the downtown area the hotel runs a shuttle for $8 a person. The Best Western is not exciting, is not a boutique hotel. It offers comfortable accommodations and a "close by" location.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front of the hotel face west and offer visions of the sunset over the Jamestown bridge.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

Booked this room to be close to friends who were also traveling to Newport for a wedding. I was disappointed that the quoted room block rates advertised at the time of booking (months in advance) were more expensive than the rates found on third party booking websites. I ended up paying over $200 per night for a standard king room through the third party site and found out that the room rates were dropped upon check-in for people who booked through the room block. I recommend speaking to someone about room block rate policies before booking.

The front desk attendants were very busy but managed expectations well. When I arrived early they told me to check back at a specified time and it would be likely that they would have a room available. They were also polite and helpful when I called about using a corkscrew and again when I asked to borrow scissors and tape so I could wrap a gift.

This hotel was located very conveniently right off the highway and about a 5-10 minute drive to downtown Newport or beaches. It was also located right next to a shopping plaza with a grocery store. Our room had a mini-fridge so it was nice to be able to bring some snacks back to the room. There was no traffic congestion in the particular area so it made it very easy to come and go.

The room in general was pretty good- Everything was clean and the bed was comfortable. The "high" setting of the AC was not very strong at all for a very hot, humid day.

Overall I was glad I booked here because the service was great and everything was convenient and close by but I doubt its the best value for the money you pay for lodging in Newport.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Bloomfield, NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

We booked this hotel for a very busy event weekend in Newport, RI (it was one of our only choices). Overall, the staff was very friendly and it was very convenient with the hotel shuttle. The downside: there was mold on the ceiling in our bathroom and the morning of check-out there were black bugs (not roaches, maybe waterbugs?) crawling around our room. Needless to say, we wouldn't book this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JLatzman

Travellers are raving about these Newport hotels

westerly
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

I stayed 2x nights on July 27&28, 2012. I spent $450 for 2 nights. NOT worth it!!! The first night was ok. The 2nd night they rented the entire 1st floor to college age kids. I was also on the 1st floor. They ran up and down the hall all night,talked loudly and went skinny dipping at 3 am. I called the front desk. Someone came down 15 minutes later and told them to quiet down. Finally, at 5 am they stopped the noise. By then I had to get up and leave for home. Also when I ate breakfast in the restaurant, the waitress was taking my half-eatten plate of food away as I sat there chewing my food. I yelled wait! This stuff cost $$$ give it back to me!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank 13crystal
CT
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

I am usually very open minded when it comes to hotels. I figure if I am on vacation, I just want a place to sleep, because my day and night will consist of going out to explore the sights. I saw the reviews on this hotel, packed some air freshener, and booked it, because we got a $104 dollar/night rate. Let me share my honest opinion.

THE GOOD:
~We arrived at noon when check in is at 3pm. They were able to give us a room when we got there, so that was very helpful.
~There is a pool at the hotel
~The lobby is very nice
~The hotel is 5 minutes from downtown Newport, and a 10 minute ride to the beaches
~The bed was comfortable

"THINGS" (NOT GOOD OR BAD..JUST RANDOM THINGS):
~The front desk attendants. They did their jobs, but didn't go out of their way to be friendly to their guests.
~Parking was free (big deal, right?! haha)

THE BAD AND THE UGLY:
~Our room wasn't accessible by an elevator. (WHAT!!?!) The main part of the building (with the elevator) and the wing (where we were) weren't connected on all floors. That meant we parked on the side of the building by the pool, and lugged our bags up 2 flights of stairs.

~The room smelled AWFUL. It reminded me of the smelly house my great aunt lived in when she was 90. It was the most wretched smell ever. Moldy, mildew-y, damp, and like little old lady. Gross. Thank the Lord that I brought that air freshener after reading other reviews on here!!!

~The room was DAMP. We had towels hanging for almost 24 hours, and they were still wet!!

~The first full day morning, we went out and came back around 2. The room still hadn't been cleaned. We went to the pool, and when we came back around 5, it had finally been done. The SECOND day, we were again, out all morning, and came back to a messy room. We hung out in the room for an hour and a half, and left around 4pm. When we returned at night, yup- you guessed it- hadn't been cleaned. This was UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

~The hallways smelled moldy. Thank God we were on a higher floor. When we roamed around the hotel, and found the dungeon (the first floor), the smell of mold choked you. There were several doors open to utility rooms, and the mixture of the fumes (which were very strong), mold, and mildew were enough to turn the strongest of stomachs.

~The fitness center in the dungeon consisted of 2 treadmills and one small "home gym" weight lifting contraption.

~The back door by the pool seemed to ALWAYS be open. We would return at 1 or 2 am, and wouldn't have to swipe our card. We just walked in. The next day, in the mid afternoon, we found the door was locked and we had to swipe. Later that night, it was wide open again. AWFUL security!!!

~Speaking of the cards.... ours hardly worked for the room. We had 2 cards, and we always took both with us. We had to swipe both cards into our room door at least 7 times before it would work. (another thing I had read on here, that I found to be true)

~The shuttle wasn't really a shuttle. They would "give you a number, and you could call and arrange pickups". I'm pretty sure that's called a taxi.

~There was no artwork in the room. The walls were bare. Not a big deal, but I don't know what pictures are posted here! Our room had NOTHING on the walls.

It would have honestly been worth it to spend the extra money, and get a decent hotel somewhere else. I am usually very forgiving when it comes to hotels, but this one was the absolute worst. I wouldn't stay here ever again, or recommend it to ANYBODY.

Room Tip: To choose a good room, choose another hotel!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank AFanInCT
West Haven, Connecticut, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

The room started out okay. The twists and turns to get to this afterthought of a room were less than desirable. It was a large room but old, cracks in the ceiling, cobwebs, mold around the bathroom door, the bathroom vent taped up to stay in the ceiling (it also did not work). Bad enough, but the real problem is the way the staff dealt with an emergency. There was flash flooding on our second night. Our room started flooding and the first responder to my call was very helpful to me and my sick child. He helped me get what I could off the floor and onto the beds and told me that the lobby was flooded also and he had us stay on the floor of the landing of the stairway to the second floor. This is where my daughter and I waited for three hours until my husband came back from the wedding we were all supposed to attend and helped us out of there. We were told there were no rooms to move us to, no other vacancies in any other hotels in the area and we were on our own. The fire department never came (if they were even called). The workers allowed guests to walk through water over ankle deep while they were using wet vacuums with patched cords. The management of this hotel is unable to deal with emergency situations and when you are traveling you never know what type of emergency will arise. I would never advise anyone I know or care about to stay at this place. Also, Best Western Corporate advised us that the closest BW hotel they could send us to was in Uncasville, CT. We decided to go there and arrived at 2 a.m. The ordeal started at 7pm. Now they are telling us the best they can do for us is to send us is reimburse us $90 after we had to pay for two nights in two hotels costing us over $400.00.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family