“Better then expected.”

Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Connecticut
“Better then expected.”
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel because it was the cheapest in the area & we weren't really going to be in the room that much. They are pet friendly, which is awesome, so we brought our dog & staff & guests were excited about her being there with us. The front desk staff was super nice & the shuttle driver was the best! We had appetizers in the hotel restaurant before going out on the town & the food was good. The room was dated & a little musty smelling, but I brought a candle because I had expected that due to other reviews. We saw no roaches or bugs like other people reported. The building & property were very quiet. My only complaint is that there were carpet spikes sticking out by the enterance in room & I cut my toe minutes after walking in, so watch your step. Overall I'd recommend this hotel. For being a Best Western it really isn't that bad as you'd expect. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Norton, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We love having a little get away in Newport. The Best Western provides us with a nice, clean place to stay just 2 miles outside of the down town area for a reasonable price. We like to hit the small casino across the street which you can walk to. On weekends they have entertainment. Add a couple friends and it equals fun.

Georgia
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Wow! A client booked this 'hotel' for me. I kid you not. It is as cozy as a crack house in the late 80's. Actually cried at how bad it was. Hair all over. Roaches. Live roaches in the ice machine. NO wifi!!!!!! Checked out at my own expense to stay somewhere lovely in Newport. DO NOT save a buck to stay here. Maybe if you are 17. It is terrible!!!!
I honestly hate to write a bad review, but would love to save someone this terrible time. :-(

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank TallGalTravels

Travellers are raving about these Newport hotels

Wantagh, United States
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I had read a number of reviews of this and other hotels in the area. This was an overnight stay in Newport to see some sights in Newport before heading home and I was very glad to have chosen The Mainstay. Great value, convenient to parkway, nice room and a courtesy shuttle that allowed me to enjoy the visit and not worry about my car and belongings.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

East Hartford, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I recently rented two suites for a bachelorette party and was very happy with our stay! It was affordable and easy to check in and out. They provided round trip shuttle service for 8.50 per person which works out to be a better deal than taking a cab.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Myself and my bridal party had my bachlorette party in Newport. We stayed here because it was less pricey than some of the hotels right in downtown! It was a quick drive to the beach, liquor store, and restaurants on Thames street. They had a pool, but we did not go in. We did eat breakfast at the restaurant and that was good as well!

The room was clean and very big! The bathroom was large as well and good for 5 girls to get ready in! The room had a fridge and microwave as well! All in All a goof experience and would definitely stay at this hotel again!

Reviewed 17 August 2013

I am a Best Western employee and I know it gets difficult sometimes to make everyone happy. Gilmore at the front desk was very kind and helpful to me and my boyfriend when checking in. Gave us good directions to the downtown area and helped me out with redeeming my travel cards. He checked us in quickly and easy. I appreciate all of his help!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple