“Room was awesome but the food and the restaurant iwas awful”

Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Newport
FALL RIVER
“Room was awesome but the food and the restaurant iwas awful”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My wife and i decided to spend the weekend of dec 1 st to celebrate our 34th wedding anniversary at the Mainstay in Newport RI .....Its was Thanksgiving evening so we decided to try the restaurant since not much else was open . This turned out to be a huge mistake as the restaurant itself was very very cold and the food was even colder .....their was only one waiter and it took forever to get a coffee . The menu was very small i had the roast pork loin which was awful it was reheated , the mashed potatoes were cold and very hard and the green beans were hard as nails ...My wife had the seafood platter and that was even worse than mine ...so needless to say we didn't eat in the rea=restaurant any more and we stayed there 3 nights ......so do yourself a favor DON'T EAT HERE

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank KENNETH P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Newport, United States
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Excellent hotel for leisure stay. Little hard to get to the entrance, you have to drive down and turn around and come back, but other than that it is a great place to stay for the price. The bed was great. We've stayed before when visiting Newport.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Southington, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 November 2013

OK, I understand that a Best Western is not the Ritz, and in a city like Newport where a decent hotel (Hyatt, Hilton, etc) runs around $400 a night, a $200/night hotel is probably less than glamorous. HOWEVER, I did NOT expect to be disgusted by my accommodations here, and I really was. The review titled "Your wife will not be happy" couldn't have put it better...I was NOT happy. There was a stale, musty smell in all the rooms (we were with a large party and all of them stank), brown stains on the ceilings, stained bathtubs, and although I'm sure the sheets were washed they just didn't FEEL clean. Beds were uncomfortable too. And for the record, I am NOT a picky hotel goer... I have stayed in many a Best Western, Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn and am generally satisfied (if not totally pleased). This was hands down the WORST place I have EVER stayed. EVER.

The only thing I will say (and the only reason they get 2 stars instead of 1) is that some of the rooms my friends stayed in were SIGNIFICANTLY cleaner than ours, looked newer and nicer and must have been reno'd in the past few years anyway. These rooms were the same cost as ours however, so it's really a gamble if you stay here.

If you are looking for a place to pass out with the guys after a night of heavy drinking, I suppose this would be the best deal in town. Otherwise, I'd stay away.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kara H

Travellers are raving about these Newport hotels

Brookhaven, New York
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with 5 friends for a girls weekend. We booked 3 rooms originally but when we got there we asked if they had a room big enough for 4 to stay in. They were very accommodating and showed us the suite that had 2 double beds, a couch, fridge, microwave and another room with a king size bed. It was perfect for us and gave us a place to hangout. The staff was very friendly. We stayed Thursday-Sunday. The location was easy to get to. It was about 5 minutes from the main part of town. We ate breakfast at the restaurant. Prices were average and the food was good.
My only complaint was that the lobby had a horrible smell. I would still go back to this hotel. I got a lot for what I paid.

My

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
NY
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Please take this advice very seriously- this hotel is the worst I have stayed at. For $140 a night, I could have found a clean place to stay. The ceilings have dark brown waterstains on them. This hotel had a Musty smell throughout the building, filthy carpets and gave me a general uncomfortable feeling. When I ran the water from the sink- the water turned brown. I felt as though it was very unsanitary.
They could have at least offered juice and coffee for their breakfast- nothing was included with the stay. Needless to say, I was not impressed and will not be back.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Xwaytooloudx
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This hotel is just outside of the downdown area of Newport, next to the exit off the Newport Bridge. It is clean and well mantained. Our room was at the back facing a road but we did not hear any of the traffic noises in the room. The only problem we had was with controlling the heat. Put it on and it got too warm in the room. We had to have the heat off all night, lucky it didn't get too cold outside. The staff was pleasant and helpful, we will definitly be visiting again.

Room Tip: You might want to stay on the second floor. The windows on the first floor are rather close to the g...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Epsom, UK
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We found this hotel through Trip Advisor, having despaired of finding somewhere at a reasonable price close to Newport. We therefore wondered what it would be like for the price. This was our penultimate hotel of a 3 week tour of New England and the 12th motel we’d stayed in. It was also by far the cheapest. Our room was a standard double, with balcony, overlooking the car park. There was a fridge, microwave, and coffee maker in the room. The room was a good size and we appreciated the table and two chairs which we used for breakfast. The noise insulation on the patio doors was excellent, and once closed we heard no noise from the car park or busy roads nearby. We sat out on our balcony later in the evening, enjoying the view of the floodlit bridge, if not the road noise.

The lady at reception was friendly, very helpful, and knowledgeable about Newport, giving us directions to the supermarket, what to do in Newport, and recommending somewhere to eat in town. We chose the Brick Alley Pub and Restaurant and can recommend it. Food and service were excellent.

As others have said, this motel is on the outskirts of town and amongst a maze of busy roads, and so you can’t walk anywhere from it. The rooms are not the most modern, but the beds were very comfortable, and the staff friendly and helpful. It is a budget motel, so don’t expect luxury, but it is clean and comfortable, and for us surprisingly quiet for such a large motel. We thought it was good value in an area renowned for expensive accommodation.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple