“The worst hotel, rooms smell urine”

Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Auburn, Maine
“The worst hotel, rooms smell urine”
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I stayed there for july 4th. The room was so smelly . i did read reviews when i was booking but I said to myself that could not be , thisis a reputable chain.I WAS WRONG BIG TIME. The room smelled urine. the hotel staff are so rude. They even charge you a fee for the room card key every day 1.5 $. They also have a hidden fee for the safe which you actually would not use. This hotel Is a a scum . I would advise anyone thinking of booking there to seriously thinking of not doing so. They are not cheap either.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank maine321

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I stayed at the BESTWESTERN this past weekend. I think the location of the hotel is good and I like that the parking lot is right in front of the hotel very convenient. This is a no frills place which is what I was expecting. The front doors don't open for you, you have to do that even with all your stuff and there isn't a bell boy to help, which is fine. If your traveling for a weekend how much stuff could you possibly have. The lobby is nice, you can tell it was recently renovation. There is a computer in the lobby but it was so slow but then again high maintenance people have blackberry's so I don't think the slow internet should be an issue. I was on it just for fun.

The restaurant in the lobby is literally right in the lobby so you get the smell of all the food but that didn't annoy me because how much time could one spend in the lobby.

The room we were first given was a smoking room (I accidentally booked it that way). It stunk, but besides that it was in the very low level of the hotel, kind of like a walk in apartment half above ground level and half basement. Everything was old and felt and looked dirty. The bed wasn't wasn't bad but wasn't good either. The AC didn't cool so well. We asked to be moved and was told that they were fully booked being that it was a holiday weekend and they would get back to us. Sure enough when we got back from sightseeing we had a message that they have a non smoking room for us. Let me tell you the manager upgraded us to a very nice suite. It was new and felt clean. The AC worked very well. The bed was so comfortable and I loved the pillows.

So overall it was a good experience. To begin with I wasn't expecting luxury just a safe and clean place to stay because most of the time we were out in town anyway. But we didn't want to stay in something that was old and blah and just not uplifting. I think the rooms on the lower level need a renovation asap. Even the corridor in the lower level smelled gross.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank doras01
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed 3 July 2010

We booked 10 rooms and stayed here for our son's wedding several years ago. Our experience was more than satisfactory. We stayed again this June, although somewhat apprehensive due to prior reviews. We were pleasantly surprised. Requested a refrigerator for wife's medication upon check in and it was delivered and set up before our luggage was unloaded - no charge. Due to family emergency our stay was cut short. Amanda at front desk was extremely helpful in getting us credit for unused portion of trip. Not a 5 star hotel and not trying to be. If value, convenience and service are your judgment criteria - give it a try.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 22 June 2010

Our room was on the bottom floor of the original building. It smelled musty and the smell permeated our clothes, so we had it as we attended our events. The bed and pillows were musty, so if you shower before retiring, you will still have that oder on you the next day. We could only be in the room with the windows opened. The housekeeper did a great job. The ceilings are not insulated and the noise from the unit above came right down all through the night. A fire alarm went off and was on for half an hour

Our friends had a room on the upper floor in the newer building. Nice furnishings and view.
They had partiers outside all night.

High speed internet: don't count on it.

If you are looking for both a clean room and quiet environment, this may not be for you.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank julsbythelake

Travellers are raving about these Newport hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 April 2010

We stayed there for one night only (thank God!), we were in town for an event at one of the mansions in Newport. This was one of the most horrible hotels i've ever stayed at. To begin with, we reserved a room with a king bed via Orbitz. Got there and checked in at 7pm, got to the room (a good 5 min walk from the reception) to find ourselves in a room with 2 twin beds: called them up and complained, only to have the very rude receptionist tell us they ran out of king beds..!!! and therefore have no choice but to stay in the twins. They didn't even bother to apologize about the inconvenience or offer anything to make-up for it. The hotel is super old and dingy with worn out carpets and smelly dark hallways.
The next day, we checked out and found out they charge a "safe fee" by default unless you ask them to remove the fee...!!! So we returned to ask them to remove the fee (at this point, they only added insult to injury), and after they "fixed" the bill, the total was higher than before!!! Because the receptionist realized she forgot to add on other random charges the first time...!!?? YUK, not only i won't stay there when i return next year (and have told my friends not to stay either), but I will avoid Best Western everywhere i go in the future.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank pantera010
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA
Reviewed 23 March 2010

On 03/13/10, Newport had it's annual St. Patrick's day Parade. That night, late into the wee hours, young adults were loitering the hallways, mainly the pool door exit, drinking and puking. As we entered the hotel to go to our rooms at about 10:30 pm, we observed a group of drunk men (young adult men) whom were trying to get their friend, whom was passed out, back to their room. They loaded their friend onto a luggage caddy and wheeled him down the long hallway. When my husband made a comment as to the safety of using a caddy to transport their friend, one of the youngsters threatend to "kick the [--] out of you", meaning my husband, for "Making fun of my friend". My husband and I are both senior citizens and were afraid for our lives. After the incident, we were continually harrassed with continual knocking on our room door by these kids. One was extremely drunk with only boxer shorts on and told my husband to step out of the room so "I can kick your old [--]", of course we locked ourselves in and did not comply. Five minutes later, another youth knocked on our door and said he wanted to "Party" claiming he heard laughter in our room. A few minutes later a young man who claimed he was hotel security came to our room explaining he was checking on the problem (Although we had not, up to that time reported anything to the front desk). This young man was dressed in regular baggy street clothes and the only thing differentiating him from the young hooligans was a walking- talkie clipped to his trousers. He informed us that the hotel was aware of the situation and it was reported, but stepping out later for some coffee at the bar, the same youth who originally threatened my husband shouted "There he is, I'm gonna kick his [--] for making fun of my friend". This was our second stay at The Mainstay Best Western, but rest assured, I will not stay there again on St. Patrick's Day weekend, and we have already advised relatives whom have stayed there in the past to stay clear of The Mainstay on St. Patricks Day Weekend. Also, one more pet peeve, whats with charging guests $3.50 for a sewing kit? All other hotels have them as complementary. I would recomment this hotel to family and friends, but I would tell them to stay clear on St. Patrick's Day weekend.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TWINZEE
Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 February 2010

First of all, when we arrived for out one night stay on 2/14/10 for small Valentine's getaway, there was already confusion as to where we were to park to get to our room. Finally when we got to the room, (after asking 3 different people), we realized the main light when you walk into the room was not working, another light in the bathroom wasn't working, then we put the heat on & left to go to Newport Grand for a couple of hours, upon returning, the room was like a igloo!! We proceeded to call the front desk & was told to unplug the heater for a couple of minutes, then plug back in...needless to say, that didn't work!! My husband had to hit it a couple of times on the side, finally the heat started to come out. Then when we tried to turn on the TV, w/ the remote and manually, that wasn't working!! Once again we called the front desk, they sent some man, (not even sure exactly what his job was) He tried the TV and couldn't get it to wotk...by the way, forgot to mention that when we called about the heater, we were told that if it didn't work, they could move us, after we had already unpacked everything..would have just been an inconvienence!! Okay, back to the TV problem, He went and got another TV from an empty room and returned w/ a lady from the laundry room to help him, that was odd!! Finally they both realized it was an electrical problem, So we had to choose between the TV or the lamp, couldn't have both!! Now onto the dining (in the hotel), they told us they had "specials" from 5-9 pm, We both ordered the Stuffed Shrimp, which came w/ fries & veggies...I guess if you are a 10 year old, you might be satisfied with what came on the plate!! 3...yes i said 3 shrimp, about a dozen skinny fries & some slices of carrots and zucchini, I had to go to the vending machine to get a couple of bags of chips, because i was still hungry!! Will not be returning to this hotel at all!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple