“Less $ than any Newport Hotel”
Review of Armistead Cottage

Armistead Cottage
Ranked #16 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Boston, MA
“Less $ than any Newport Hotel”
Reviewed 4 October 2007

Stayed here for $138.00 a night for 2 nights in September. You certainly can't get that rate on any hotel right in Newport, so that's a good reason to stay here in itself.

This is my second stay in a B&B. The best way to describe the owner, Romana, is talkative & quirky. I barely met her Husband Charles or their 2 cats. The house is on a quite residential street. It is not within walking distance of attractions other than maybe Easton's Beach and the start of the Cliff Walk trail.

Our room was fine. There was a TV & VCR but a DVD player would have been more up to date and useful. The bathroom was nice but be warned the water pressure was slightly under average and the shower was a stall shower not a tub. (Other rooms may have a tub, you'll have to ask.) It did have an A/C unit that we did end up using and it worked fine although it did look old.

Romana's breakfasts are always at 9am and last at least 1 hr. That might not work for everybody. The food was original & savory and I enjoyed it but be warned, it's not traditional breakfast fare. If you were a picky eater and didn't like what was being served you had no other options. Not even toast or cereal etc.

Lastly, Romana & Charles offer complimentary water & soda to take with you on the road, and a plate of 2 cookies & a chocolate are left in your room at night. A cute touch but I couldn't tell if the cookies were homemade or store bought.

Overall on OK stay.

• Stayed September 2007
3 Thank OneWorldWideTraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
new york
Reviewed 1 October 2007

My husband and I usually stay at B&B's. We love the whole experience. Sometimes they can be tricky..and you can have an unpleasant experience. However, I am happy to say that our stay at Armistead was not one of them.

Romana and Charles are the most friendly and pleasant couple you will meet. Roman is an excellent cook. Creating an array of different and enjoyable dishes each day.

Our room, the Lilac Room was perfect. It had the right amount of warmth to make us feel as if we were in our own bedroom at home.

This was our second trip to Newport and our first stay at Armistead. You can be sure it won't be our last. The next time we go to Newport..we will be staying with Romana and Charles.

Deborah Chin
Glen Cove, NY

• Liked — Very nice and very clean.
  • Disliked — Nothing. Not one thing.
boston
Reviewed 30 September 2007

We stayed at the Armistead Cottage for one night in August. The house is located on a quiet street, close to the main sections of town. Our room was very nice and comfortable. Our host Romana was very friendly and her quirkiness (she has a love of carrots and a carrot museum!) adds to her appeal. Her breakfast was very delicious! If you like cats you'll enjoy the ones that reside in the house. They're friendly and don't seem to cause any mischief! One of our favorite parts of the house was the porch swing. It was so relaxing to swing on the porch in the warm summer air.

We also enjoyed the afternoon cookies Romana left in our room, as well as the complimentary soda and water downstairs for everyone to enjoy. Overall we loved the place and would definitely come back!

Oh, and for all you Civil War buffs out there, the Armistead Cottage is named for the son of Confederate General Lewis Armistead, who was killed at Gettysburg. His son built this house.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank laurvin
London, England
Reviewed 27 September 2007

After spending many days trying to find a reasonably priced inn in Newport, I was ready to give up when I found Armistead Cottage, an adorable B&B tucked away in the peace and quiet of residential Newport. The price is right, the location was perfect for a relaxing stay, and Romana, the B&B's owner, couldn't have been more welcoming, and more fun!
My friend and I had a wonderful stay. Our room was large and comfortable, the breakfast was DELICIOUS every morning, and Romana was friendly, helpful, and really willing to go the extra mile - she even dropped us off at the bus station. I've never met a more wonderful host. Our stay simply wouldn't have been the same without her, and we would never have found the gorgeous restaurants we ate in without Romana's recommendations either.
If you're looking for a place to stay in Newport, then Armistead Cottage is THE place to be. It's hands down the BEST B&B I've ever stayed in, and I WILL be returning.
Oh, and if you like carrots..you'll love Romana's carrot museum!!!

• Liked — Romana's great hospitality
  • Disliked — There was nothing I disliked!
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank bigpinkmarshmallow
North Carolina
Reviewed 27 September 2007

As many of the others, we had not stayed in a B&B before. Romana makes you feel as if you are one of the family. Her personality and sense of humor draw a person right in. The next time we come back to Newport, there is no doubt in my mind that we will stay with Romana & Charles. The breakfasts were absolutely delicious. A particularly nice touch is finding cookies and mints in our room when we returned after a long day of shopping and siteseeing. When looking for a B&B in Newport, look no further than the Armistead!

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank RIGalAtHeart
virginia
Reviewed 25 September 2007

This was our first time staying in a B & B, but Romana made it an experience we will never forget. She is very delightful, funny, and a wonderful cook. It was as if we had known her all our lives. The house is beautiful and situated in a very quite, convenient part of town. All the other guests we're very friendly, so we had a great time around the breakfast table. We will be back the next time we are in Newport.

New Jersey
Reviewed 18 September 2007

This was our first time visiting Rhode Island. I found The Armistead by looking online for a place to stay. I booked the reservations in very short notice. I spoke directly to Romana on the phone and she was so pleasant and accomidating. She even asked about food allergies or any other preferences we had about eating breakfast (which we didn't). I explained to her that the line of work I do does sometimes require me to work late and that we might be arriving at some strange hour of the night. Well it just so happened that I had to work overtime that night and that we wouldn't be arriving into Rhode Islant until after 10 p.m. Again...no problem. I woke the poor woman up to let us in, and she was pleasant and understanding. We immediately felt at home. She showed us to our room, which was comfy and adorable and told us breakfast would be served at 9:00 a.m. Well let me tell you, breakfast was fabulous, (3 coarses). The atmosphere was light and casual, (I ate in my sweats with no make up and my hair still disheveled)...Again it felt like Home!!!! Romana and Charles went out of their way to help us with directions to places and to help us find good places to eat dinner. They even drove us somewhere we wanted to go because the parking situation in that part of town was crazy due to the boat show that was going on. We even got to sit and chat one morning with Romana and Charles and it was great. I felt like I was not a guest but an extended part of their family. And that is exactly what it is like there. Romana is full of energy and just so down to earth, I felt so free to just be myself. I will be going back there, without a doubt. I strongly suggest that if you do plan to visit Newport ,or any of the surrounding areas, that you do stay at The Armistead. It is close to EVERYTHING!!!!!, yet it is quiet and set away from all the noise. It is warm and welcoming. If Romana and Charles read this...Thank You, and we will see you next year. Thank you for your hospitality and I have found a new respect fot carrots..ha ha ha..

• Liked — EVERYTHING
  • Disliked — There was nothing I didn't like