“A Great Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Armistead Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Armistead Cottage
Ranked #15 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Lowell, Massachusetts
“A Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

I had a weekend off and decided to take my fiance here for a nice getaway in scenic Newport. After researching numerous B&B's around the area, we decided on Armistead and we couldn't be happier.

It was quite easy to find and there was plenty of parking in front. The place looked rustic, beautiful from the outside. I noticed the stained glass windows, gave the place a very charming look. We were greeted by Romana who was a ball of energy and showed us around before showing us our bedroom. We saw the carrot museum that we read about in other reviews and I was quite impressed with the variety of carrot themed items. To the right of the museum was a rack full of brochures that informed us of all the things to do in Newport.

The rooms were great. It was equipped with everything you'd need including a t.v, air conditioning unit and it's own separate bathroom which was absolutely spotless. The atmosphere in the room we were in was just charming. We had a great nights sleep and woke up to birds chirping in the morning.

Breakfast was great. What I liked most about it was the fact that not only was it healthy but delicious. I loved the poached egg and the baked apple was different but very tasty too. During breakfast, Romana kept us entertained with her bubbly personality, we found ourselves laughing quite a bit.

Overall, our experience in Armistead was amazing. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and if we ever find ourselves in town again, this will be our go to B&B.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

The Armistead Cottage was a great B&b to stay at in Newport. We were there for just a few days, so we weren't able to see everything Newport has to offer. But there is always a next time! Romana and Charles were great hosts. Full of information about where to eat what to see and all the neat little tucked away areas that most people don't find out about on the internet. The house was so much fun a mix all sorts of antiques and fun curiosity. Our room was great, everything you needed and a few things I didn't expect to have at a B&b as well. Breakfast was home made by Romana. We both highly recommend this place if you find yourselfs in Newport. When we come back to visit Newport I am staying again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Selma F
Hollywood, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

First, you juggle cars in their driveway, and try not to bang anyone's doors...the room is sufficient, I guess, although it hurts to get up onto the bed. The frame hits your legs every time. The bath water doesn't get very hot, and you can hear through the walls. SHE was a bit ghoulish and one must question a room full of everything CARROT taking up every square inch. Fetish, is an understatement. HE wasn't even in town until the next day. Taking luggage up those stairs is a real feat. Breakfast ? Are you kidding me? You are on vacation ! Not in school ! Be there at 9 ? It consisted of a baked apple, first course. A muffin, second course, and an egg in a crock dish and cold toast. Their banter was like sharing a meal with people who think they are funny, and need an audience. But more than that we felt so "judged". We asked her how to determine the channels on the TV in the room and she said "Oh, I don't know how to work any of that internet stuff..." Where was a good restaurant in town for oysters? She got a look on her face like a vegetarian being asked who had the bloodiest steaks in town ! We felt uncomfortable the entire time there and it was the most expensive of all our nights on vacation, including Hiltons, Westins, etc. WE sure couldn't find anything to do in Newport but drive the Mansions route several times. No, thanks.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank glowie_emerson
CharlieandRo, Owner at Armistead Cottage, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
We never like hearing that any of our guests were unhappy when they
come to stay with us. Both Charles and I were very sorry to see a
negative review, especially since we rarely if ever get them. We feel
sorry that these folks’ trip to Newport was not what they expected it
to be. I was surprised to see in their review that all they could
find to do was travel the Mansion/Ocean Drive route. Most of our
guests have to return because there’s not enough time to see and do
everything. We have many brochures of many sites, events, etc in the
area which everyone is shown upon coming into our home. It was a
strange comment to make since Newport Rhode Island is one of the
United States premier tourist spots. Newport’s’ tourist center could
have also aided in their search for things to do.
I do realize that everyone is entitled to their opinions, but after
reading this guest’s review it was truly upsetting. It seemed to be
more of a personal insult attack than a constructive review. I will
not mention all their issues but try to address a few that stand out
the most. As for any surprise of the room or what it looked like or
the accoutrements in it, should have been no surprise at all since the
web site has photos and descriptions. Our web site has photos and
descriptions of rooms, common areas and even the staircase. There is
plenty of space in our driveway for our two guestroom guests to park
their vehicles with no issues. The cost is very average for the area
and actually below average for mid-week. They also did ask for a
price reduction on top of the already low rate, which we gave them
happily. On a personal note in reference to my carrot museum, I do
have a small area off my kitchen devoted to my hobby of collecting
carrot items. Actually, it is very well known of and has been see on
TV, magazines, and newspapers. It is also shown on our web site. As a
side note, in reference to their mention of not knowing what certain
channels are on cable TV, we have taken action on this and are placing
channel cards in the rooms so people know what channel is what.
After looking over these guests review I noticed form previous parts
of their vacation they only stayed at hotels. It is a fact that some
folks are only hotel people and really shouldn’t stay at B&B’s. It is
two different worlds all together. Upon greeting them I do remember
they seemed upset and disturbed. Usually I chalk this up to a long
car ride, and soon after settling in most people enjoy their visit.
But, they seemed at once disappointed and upset with everything; if
there were other personal issues I’m not sure. No matter what,
Charles and I always try to make everyone feel at home and
comfortable.
Again, we are both very sorry that these guests were not happy. Even
a one night visit, such as they had should be filled with fun,
comfort, and most of all satisfaction.
Beverly, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

We recently returned from a "girls get-away" to Newport involving an overnight at Armistead Cottage. Romana was the consummate B&B proprietor, providing us with a map, suggestions for local restaurants, and other activities. She is warm and gracious in her interactions with guests. Breakfast was absolutely scrumptious as an added bonus. The property is in a quiet residential neighborhood close in proximity to Bellevue Avenue. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable. We will be returning, for sure! Armistead Cottage has the cottage charm we love when traveling..

Room Tip: All rooms are well appointed and comfortable. Grounds are lovely and groomed. The front porch is inv...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
new Jersey, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

I just returned from an extended weekend stay with my boyfriend and another couple. We love this inn. Located on a pretty , quiet residential street but still close to everything Newport has to offer. Romana & Charles were wonderful. They made us feel right at home. They were very friendly and really nice people that we had the pleasure of meeting. We enjoyed their recommendations on places to dine as well as activities. We loved sitting on the beautiful porch as well as the cozy living room. The inn was spotless and the rooms are very comfortable. It was a cooler weekend and we really liked the fireplace in our room. The breakfast was very good and we were all happy it was served at 9am. Late enough to enjoy sleeping in but early enough to have plenty of time to enjoy the sights. The carrot museum was awesome. It was a lot if fun checking out the vast collection. We will definitely stay here again on any future trips to Newport.

Bricktown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

great place to stay the owners Romana & Charles were to much fun ! and let me tell you delious breakfast . my wife and i would defintly go back . Newport is a fun town with alot of history we had a blast !

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Abington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

My boyfriend found this perfect gem while looking for a place to stay in Newport & I am so glad he did. We had a fantastic weekend! Romana & Charles are both wonderful people who make you feel welcome & at home. The rooms are beautifully decorated and 100% spotless. The breakfast was amazing, with fresh ingredients, & a splash of their unique taste. Romana was more than accommodating and made sure our coffee cups were never empty through out the entire breakfast. Her warm and charming personality was what made our weekend. My boyfriend could not have found a better place to stay! I can't wait to go back and visit very soon.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple