“This is the Place”

and 1 more site!
Armistead Cottage
Ranked #15 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Armistead Cottage is a Bed and Breakfast that is an affordable stay in an upscale area. It is in close proximity to all amenities. The hosts have addressed every detail to make your stay comfortable,sociable and private. The interaction at breakfast is so relaxed and enjoyable. The entire property is spotless and just conducive to relaxation. We are going back to do all the things we didn't get to do this time around.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NewYorkAppraiser
There are newer reviews for Armistead Cottage

Reviewed 6 August 2009

My husband & I stayed one night at this wonderful place. It is located in a very nice and quiet neighborhood. I would say it is midway between Easton Beach and the Thames Street area so while each area is a little bit of a walk, we thought it was worth it to stay in such a nice quiet area.The B&B is very clean and wonderfully decorated. The host, Romana, is very friendly and informative and has a great sense of humor. We stayed in a queen room on the second floor and we had our own bathroom and gas fireplace. You can park in the driveway and there is a fridge with water and such for the guests on the main floor. The house has a fantastic porch with wicker chairs and a swing. Wish we had more time to use it! We walked by many B&Bs during our stay and none looked as nice as the Armistead. If you want a huge bathroom and super close proximity to the main drag then this may not be the place for you. For us it was perfect and we will definitely stay here again.

1  Thank gillis1980
Reviewed 5 August 2009

My husband and I attended a wedding in Newport in July and spent 2 nights at the Armistead Cottage. This was our second stay. Ramona was once again a perfect hostess. The rooms were spotless and comfortable. The huge front porch is a nice place to sit and read or enjoy Ramona's beatiful new garden. The 3 course breakfast was varied and delicious and served by Ramona. I spent more time enjoying the awesome Carrot Museum during this stay. This is something that you will never see anywhere else. My husband and I enjoy staying in B&B's when we travel. The Armistead rates at the top on our favorites list!

Reviewed 17 July 2009

This B&B was a nice stay. The home is beautifully decorated and welcoming. Very clean, bright, and pleasant. The owner was delightful and we feel like we have a new friend (our only friend) in Newport. We would return any time.

Reviewed 21 June 2009

I've stayed at other B&Bs in Newport and throughout New England and have never felt compelled to write a review until this moment, nor have I felt a desire to return to a B&B until Armistead.

The Cottage is spotlessly clean. Our room was immaculate and so were the common areas. Not a hint of a dust bunny anywhere, surfaces were sparkling. Really very clean.

The cottage is decorated in a unique style...there are many items to look at (pictures, other wall hangings, stained glass made by Romana herself, old shoe shapers, and...carrots - 2,050 to be exact). But never once did I feel like I was overwhelmed or that the items were "clutter." I've been in B&Bs where I've gotten the impression that the decorations in rooms and common areas were just thrown together, mostly from yard sales, just to fill the space. I never got that feeling here. I sensed Romana chose every single piece and placed them where they "belonged" and that each one had a story.

Romana herself speaks and gives from her heart. This is the job she was meant to do, no question. She serves a delicious gourmet breakfast, all made in her kitchen and from scratch. Some items are even from her garden. Her coffee was strong and HOT. She had me at the coffee!

Her conversation is fascinating and her expressions are so colorful - but she is not a one-way talker or overwhelming, which I've found can happen with people who lived through so much and have a wide range of passions. I felt listened to, cared for, and respected, and appreciated her knowledge and conversation in return. Charles, her husband, is a perfect compliment to her and we were happy to meet him.

She has 4 cats but for those who aren't cat people, you most likely will see only one. They are not running around the cottage, being overwhelming. Being an animal person myself, I completely enjoyed the company of the one I saw most often, and the others when I caught glimpses.

The location worked for me because it was QUIET at night. I've stayed in Newport Inns closer to Thames or Bellevue but there was car noise and people noise until late. Not my idea of relaxing.

You will NOT we sorry if you choose Armistead. I know I will choose it every single time I return to Newport.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2009

Romana is a treasure. A thoughtful hostess who makes you feel like you're visiting friends. Sweet kitties. We didn't get to meet Charles, although we heard his voice so we know he really lives there. In a beautiful neighborhood, Armistead Cottage is warm and welcoming and located a short walk away from the Cliff Walk. Bring your sneakers and explore the area. We stayed in the Victorian Room. Plenty of room. The carrot museum is a hoot and a must see. The house contains many treasures and Romana is happy to share stories. Without hesitation, we'd return and will recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2008

We can only say great things about Armistead Cottage. Breakfast was the highlight of each day - both the food and talking with Romana and her guests (who during our stay were all repeat visitors). We plan on also becoming repeat visitors, since I can't imagine a more entertaining place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple